Identity

Our love story

 

It was late afternoon and Kai drove his car along the familiar streets, heading for Yuki's apparel store which sat comfortably along the road. It was a quaint little shop with quality clothes that were widely popular. 
 
Kai stole a glance at Kamin who was looking out of the window. Kamin, have you changed? Over the years, have you mended those wounds I inflicted on you? Have you gotten over me? 
 
"Yes, Kai?" Kamin caught his gaze and gave a warm smile. 
 
"Nothing. I was just wondering why you wanted to come to the clothes shop." Kai cleared his throat, embarrassed.
 
"Oh, Yuki wanted me to come over and give her some feedback on the sketches she drew for her winter wear collection." Kamin replied smoothly, perfectly comfortable now that she decided not to harbor any hatred towards Kai. It was all over. She has accepted the fact that the past is over and there was nothing she could do about it.
 
"Oh okay then. And uh..." Kai fidgeted in his seat,"I am still puzzled over something." 
 
"What?" Kamin asked. 
 
"Why are you talking to me?" Kai finally got those pressing words out of his mouth.
 
Kamin looked at him as if he said the most absurd of all words. She stared at him for a while before she trembled with laughter. 
 
"You don't want me to talk to you?" She said after calming herself down.
 
"Are you really okay? You are even laughing now." Kai asked, a little annoyed though that she felt it was funny.
 
"Kai." Kamin looked at him, biting her lower lip to stop the giggles. She took a deep breath and finally regained her composure.
 
"I just think that there is no use hating you now. I have come to accept that the past is over. Nothing about it matters. And talking to you... Isn't it better? Now both of us have some company and someone to talk to." Kamin said seriously.
 
Kai nodded, absorbing what she said. "That's true..." He paused for a while before he added. 
 
"Thank you." 
 
Kamin waved it away,"no need for thanks. And we are already here! Come on." Kamin stepped out of the car gracefully and walked into the shop with a spring in her steps.
 
Kai scratched his head. Really? Which means...she forgave me? A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. That's good. He followed after her, stepping into the shop.
 
"Yuki, hello!" Kamin bounded over to give Yuki a quick hug. 
 
"Hey, Kamin! You are just in time," Yuki smiled brightly,"I finished the last of my sketches. Come over and take a look!"  
 
Yuki led Kamin to her table which was now covered by many thin pieces of paper scattered all over. Yuki picked up one of her sketches,"here, this is the very first one I came up with. It is going to be a white long-sleeved top with red stripes. And here is another one..." Yuki picked up one after another of the sketches.  
 
Kamin looked at them, marveling at the original and unique designs Yuki had come up with. She could only say 'wow' as she looked at the long-sleeved shirt topped off with red stripes, reminding her very much of the candy canes she enjoyed as a child and the mini skirt with a cute golden buckle at the front. She picked up one after another, her eyes glimmering with fascination and admiration for her friend's talent. 
 
"They are all beautiful. I think your winter collection is going to be very popular. And this one..." Kamin's gaze lingered at a sketch which showed an elegant one-piece strapless dress. It was colored a snowy white and it gave Kamin the impression that it was made for an angel,"is breathtaking."
 
"Oh, that one is my favorite. It's sort of an A-line kind of short dress that would fall to just above your knees and it is figure-hugging too. It is designed for proms or perhaps some party that people will go to." Yuki looked over her shoulder, smiling. 
 
Kai took a look at it. "I think you will look good in it, Kamin." Kai said. 
 
"Yeah!" Yuki agreed immediately,"Kamin, you have a nice figure and this dress will accentuate your small waist and....woah. You will look beautiful. Like an angel." 
 
Kamin blushed,"oh no, this dress is..." 
 
"Just right for you." Kai chuckled. 
 
"I agree, Kamin. What about I make this dress just specially for you? It would be a gift from me." Yuki smiled warmly, squeezing her hand. 
 
"What? That wouldn't be nice. It's your design!" Kamin looked shocked.
 
"Exactly, so I want it to be for you. Kai is right, it will look perfect on you." Yuki said.
 
Kamin blushed,"thank you then." 
 
"Let me take your measurements then." Yuki grabbed her measuring tape.
 
Kai stood at a side, looking around the shop as the two girls engaged in their little chat.
 
 
 
 
"Anyways, Kamin," Yuki said as she scribbled down the measurements,"it's so nice to see you again. I thought I wouldn't be able to see you anytime soon since you said Kai was busy."
 
Kamin turned over to glance at Kai who was fiddling with his phone,"well, we managed to squeeze some time out of his busy schedule." 
 
"Wow. That's rare to be able to squeeze some time out of a CEO's schedule." Yuki murmured before she caught herself. Shucks.
 
"A CEO?" Kamin narrowed her eyes slightly and she raised a eyebrow. "You mean Kai is a CEO? Of what?" 
 
"Oh no, I mean..." Yuki tried to explain but she gave up as Kamin shot her a suspicious look. 
 
"Kai? Are you a CEO?" Kamin called out to Kai who looked up from the screen of his iPhone 5. 
 
Sorry. Yuki mouthed.
 
Kai shook his head, smiling slightly. "It's okay." He said to Yuki as he walked towards them.
 
"Hmmm?" Kamin spun to face Kai, crossing her arms across her chest.
 
"I am a CEO." Kai stated simply," CEO of popular fashion brand, Kaura." 
 
Kamin looked at him, gape-mouthed. "What?"
 
 
Yuki excused herself quietly as the door swung open. "There is a customer. I will leave you two alone then. Sorry, CEO. My fault. And bye, Kamin. You can look forward to your dress." Yuki winked before tending to the customer.
 
"Come on. Get in the car." Kai pushed Kamin gently out onto the streets and both of them got onto the car.
 
Buckling her seatbelt, Kamin asked,"so..CEO of Kaura..." 
 
"I came to Japan to take over my father's business so now I am the CEO. But, I am not as busy as Yuki thinks I am." Kai winked as he explained.
 
"Oh..." Kamin said as realization dawned on her," You are very free,huh." An impish smile formed on her lips. Kai laughed. He knew what that smile meant.
 
"And so I am guessing that smile means you want this CEO to treat you to an expensive dinner?" Kai asked.
 
"And he doesn't mind at all?" Kamin tested, her eyes smiling.
 
"Of course I don't, but I have something in mind, something much better than an expensive dinner." Kai smirked,"you will see."