Don't worry, it's gonna be alright

Our love story

 

Kai paced around his room. Finally, he sat down on his bed with a plop as he buried his face in his hands. 
 
I think I still love him. That very sentence stopped his heart. 
 
"She still loves him. She loves Baekhyun." Kai whispered to himself and he groaned in agony. He wasn't mad at her, he knew that very clearly. Kamin was the type of girl who would commit her all to the relationship and it was hard for her to let go, just like how he was and still is. All love quotes did not strike a chord with him, except the one which told him to let go if he really loved her. 
 
Ringgggg
 
Kai picked up his phone. "Hello?" 
 
"Hey dude." He heard Tao greet him. 
 
"Hey." Kai replied back, his tone monotonous.
 
"Ummm. Could I talk to Kamin for a while? It's something important." 
 
"What happened?" Kai asked. Whatever was important to Kamin was just as important to him. 
 
"Ummm... Baekhyun is leaving Seoul tonight and although Baekhyun refuses to tell her himself, I wanted to because...he really loves her and I just wanted to...you know..." Tao trailed off. 
 
I have already decided to get married to Kai but why do I keep thinking about him? 
 
Kai heaved a sigh. "Alright, I will get her to answer the call." 
 
Tao heard Kai call her and soon enough, Kamin was on the other side of the line. 
 
"Hello? This is Kamin." He heard a soft, gentle voice call. 
 
"Hey Kamin. This is Tao. You know Baekhyun's friend?"  Tao could almost feel her hesitate before replying.
 
"Yeah,I do remember you. Hey." He heard her fake enthusiasm. She sounded rather sad over the phone.
 
"I just wanted to tell you that Baekhyun is leaving tonight. For Seoul. He didn't want to tell you but I felt that you ought to know." Tao said.
 
"Oh." She in her breath,"is he still there?" 
 
"Well, he went out, saying he wanted to roam around Tokyo first. Do you want to talk to him?' Tao offered,"I could get him to..." 
 
"No, no." He heard her say,"it's alright. I think...ummm. Wish him a safe flight for me. And..." She paused for a while before finally saying,"tell him I thank him for everything." 
 
Her voice broke a little and before Tao could say anything else, she muttered a 'goodbye' and the call ended. 
 
Kai gazed worriedly at Kamin who had begun to sob. 
 
"Hey. Are you alright?" Kai placed a hand on her shoulder as he sat down beside her on the sofa.
 
"I..." Kamin lost it as she pulled Kai closer to bury her face into his chest,"he is really leaving now." 
 
"Don't cry." Kai soothed her, his hand touching her hair gently. He stared wistfully into the distance. Kamin is crying because Baekhyun is going to leave. Every part of Kai screamed to him that this was proof of Kamin still loving Baekhyun. Kamin loves Baekhyun. 
 
"What am I going to do, Kai?" Kamin sobbed into his chest, leaving wet spots all over his shirt. Kai used a finger to gently lift her chin up, gazing into her eyes. 
 
"You still have me." Kai whispered.His eyes searched hers for an answer. But somehow, Kai knew that the answer was clear. "Don't you...?" 
 
Kamin inhaled deeply, wringing her hands together," I know, Kai. And I am grateful for that. I never doubted that." 
 
"I will always be by your side, Kamin." Kai emphasised on 'always'. It was true. No matter what happened, he would never leave her. To Kai, love was something that can never be forced. To love is to let the other person be happy. If you are not the one who can give her happiness, why not let her free to find her happiness elsewhere? If Baekhyun was the one who could give her true happiness, why not? 
 
Looking back, Kai was shocked to find how each and every of Kamin's smile was never a 100%. There was always something lacking in her smile, the smile he loves. It was that touch of a sparkle in her eyes that was gone. And suddenly, Kai knew how to bring that sparkle back. He knew how to make Kamin truly smile again.
 
 
"It's going to be alright, Kamin. It's gonna be alright." Kai kissed her cheek as he stood up abruptly, leaving Kamin sitting on the sofa, her eyes puffy and red. 
 
"Kai..?" Kamin brushed away her tears, trying to comprehend why Kai was picking up his car keys, placing it into his pocket with a slight jingle. 
 
"I just realized I have something to do. You stay at home, okay?" Kai managed a smile,"you don't want to tire yourself out before the wedding,right?" 
 
He saw the corners of her lips turn up in a small smile, a smile he knew was not true. 
 
"Okay. I will stay up for you. " 
 
"Really?" 
 
"Really." 
 
Kai unlocked the front door and stepped out, embracing the cool wind that caressed his cheeks and soft hair. With a determined gait, he walked to his car, his footsteps leaving nothing but the sound of dried leaves rustling on the sidewalk.