Change

Our love story

 

Kamin shielded her eyes from the sun rays that filtered through the curtains. Kamin yawned sleepily. It seemed like she had not been asleep for long. Probably, she had not been. She had been spending the long night thinking and pondering about her past relationship.
 
Kamin sat up on her bed and simply sat there for a while, gazing at nothing as her mind spun with the new information she found last night. Kai was definitely hiding something from her. By the way he hurriedly kept the box and drove her out of his room, Kamin knew he was keeping something from her. It was also the first time he had raised his voice at her since she came to Japan. There were so many unanswered questions in her mind that she ached to voice out. She wanted an answer. An explanation from Kai. Who was that girl and were they really dating? Why did he break up with her all of a sudden, even choosing his own birthday to break up with her? What exactly happened to Kai after that incident? Why is he even in Japan now? And why did he become so nice to her? Kamin blew her bangs. She couldn't leave things like that, could she? 
 
But that incident happened such a long time ago and Kai and her were long over. Even if the truth came out and things were not as they seemed, Kai and her wouldn't get together anymore. Rekindling the old flame is not even possible. Kai must have moved on. Kamin nodded to herself. Even if he kept those photos, probably it was because he was lazy to even throw them away. Or perhaps, he forgot they were even there. And the only reason why Kai would be so nice to me is that he feels remorseful and probably takes pity on me. He wouldn't be that heartless as to let me wander around Tokyo, right?   Convinced, Kamin leapt out of bed. She walked into the bathroom, picking up the toothbrush. 
 
Brushing her teeth, Kamin looked at her reflection.  As Jane Austen said,' But people themselves alter so much, that there is something new to be observed in them for ever.' People change. They change because of little gestures, little things and little incidents that occurred. Kai might have changed for the better after the break-up. And as for me... I have changed too. I have moved on. I got into a new relationship, one which... I enjoyed. Kamin's heart sank a little. Meeting Baekhyun was a great milestone and it was a happy period in my life to remember. He made me forget the scars Kai left. He protected me and loved me. But then, things changed and feelings change. It was Love at first. Happiness. Bliss. Gratitude. But that has changed to Confusion. Bewilderment. Sadness. Disappointment. It was his turn to inflict some hurt on me. He gave up on our baby, our bond that we were so happy about. How much had I anticipated the birth of our baby, to look into its deep innocent eyes and laugh at its gurgling. To experience the joy of a mother when her child takes the first wobbly step, when her child says mummy and the unadulterated bliss of a happy family. But poof! That happiness was ephemeral.
 
Things have changed, definitely. Will it change again? 
 
Splashing the cool water onto her face, Kamin dried it with the soft towel which hung on the wall. Forget it. Kamin thought silently. She decided, after her long reflection in the toilet, that she shall not rack up the past. The present is complicated enough. With that, Kamin turned the doorknob and walked to the kitchen where she smelt the aroma of cappuccino.
 
"Hey." Kamin called out, much to the surprise of Kai who was sitting at the table, eating his bacons and eggs silently. 
 
"Morning." Kai replied uneasily. 
 
"What's for breakfast?" Kamin asked, sitting opposite Kai casually.
 
"Bacons and eggs. With your usual cup of cappuccino." Kai replied, eyeing Kamin suspiciously. Isn't she going to ask me about last night...? 
 
"Okay. Thanks." Kamin tucked in, eating the rashers of bacon on her plate. 
 
"Aren't... Aren't you going to ask me anything?" Kai asked. 
 
"No. Why would I want to ask you anything?" Kamin replied, putting down her fork.
 
"Oh, okay..." Kai still looked at Kamin with traces of doubt lingering in his voice. She...is talking to me. Like conversing in long sentences.
 
"Well, let's eat then! I want to go somewhere later. Could you fetch me?" Kamin nibbled on the scrambled eggs.
 
"Yeah... Sure," Kai replied, stunned. She said three sentences to me. What is going on?