Why?

Our love story

 

The engine of the car started and it ambled down the streets of Tokyo. It passed the neon lights emanating from the signboards, the tall skyscrapers that looked down on the ground, the busy businessman holding suitcases hurrying back to their workplace after their lunch break, the little children frolicking around and not to mention the many boutiques with its mannequins standing elegantly behind the glass windows.
 
Kamin rested her head on the side of the car, silently taking in the sights before her. This will probably be what I would be seeing for the next few years. Tokyo and its city lights, its busy people and its rich culture and...
 
She glanced over to Kai,who was focusing on his driving, with much distaste. She could not actually believe she agreed to taking his car and to allow him to bring her to his home to treat her injuries. She could not believe that she was sitting right next to someone she never wanted to see or talk to ever again. What was I even thinking? Kamin mentally slapped herself for the dumb decision she made just a few moments ago. Take his car and let him bring me away? I may never see civilization ever again. Her mind was filled with horrifying scenarios of Kai bringing her to an abandoned warehouse and leaving her there till she dies either out of hunger, thirst or worse. 
 
"Where are we going?" Kamin finally spoke. She decided that she had to do something to change the course of her fate.  If she asked, she would know what to do next, even if it meant her jumping out of the car to save her own life. 
 
"My house. It's just right around the corner. Don't think weird thoughts." Kai replied cooly. 
 
Kamin did not reply and simply kept silent for the rest of the ride.
_____
 
"We are here." Kai opened Kamin's door. Kamin simply ignored him and stood outside his house. After grabbing Kamin's luggage, he walked over to unlock the door.
 
"I can hold that myself." Kamin snatched over her luggage. Kai sighed but said nothing as he unlocked the door and it swung open. 
 
"After you." Kai held the door open. Kamin did not even mutter a word of thanks like she would do. She walked right in without a word. 
 
"Let me get your luggage up to your room, please just sit on the couch." Kai offered. Kamin sat in the couch and she stared into space while Kai brought her luggage up. She could hear his footsteps going up the stairs and then coming down again. 
 
Kai had brought a first aid kit with him. He knelt down on the well-polished marble floor and took out bandages and whatever he felt was necessary. He lifted up Kamin's leg and placed it on a stool. 
 
"Don't touch me." Kamin jerked her leg away.
 
"Please, just let me bandage your ankle." Kai pleaded, looking at Kamin who averted her gaze onto the ground. Kai tried again and this time, Kamin did not resist. 
 
"Come on, let me see your hand. It has turned red." Kai held Kamin's arm gently. Kamin did not reply. She only stared into the distance like how she did when she came into the house. 
 
"Is it painful?" Kai asked. No answer.
 
"I am going to get some lukewarm water to cool the burn." Kai sighed as he got up to get some water from the kitchen nearby. Kamin took the chance to look around his house. It looked expensive. It was two stories high and its interior was impressive. It was the kind of houses you knew was owned by the rich. The marble floor was without a scratch and Kamin bet it was polished every two weeks or so. A piano sat by a corner of the big house, resting above a posh white carpet. It didn't exactly take up much space, there was still abundant room to move around and probably even play soccer. When did Kai get so rich?Kamin thought silently to herself. 
 
"I got it. Please bear with me. I know I am not in any position to get you to agree to anything I want but...for your own sake, just bear with me." Kai said softly, his eyes fixed on the ground. He had carried a pail of water with him and a towel. 
 
He took Kamin's hand gently after wetting the towel. He squeezed water over the scald. Kamin gasped as the water trickled over the scalded area. She relaxed. After repeating it for a few more times, Kai stood up and left. 
 
Kamin looked at her arm; it was not as red as before. Then, she looked at her ankle which Kai had bandaged. Why are you so nice to me, Kai? Why do you treat me this way after you hurt me four years ago? 
 
"Okay, I am done." Kai came back with a glass of water which he handed to Kamin,"have a drink.  You must be thirsty." 
 
Kamin took the glass silently and sipped the water. 
 
"Since you have no place to go for now, I suggest that you stay here. I have a vacant guest room just upstairs. I brought your luggage there already." Kai said. 
 
"Okay." Kamin muttered before adding,"thanks." No matter how much she hated him or loathed him, she still had to thank him for giving her a place to stay.
 
"You are welcome. Go get some sleep. I will be in my room if you need me. It is the room directly opposite yours." Kai said, leaning back on the couch. 
 
Kamin nodded. Things could only be like this. She shall stay at Kai's house. For now.