Back

Our love story

 

Kamin whirled around to find a handsome young man with chiselled features smiling at her with that same perfect crooked smile she had loved quite a few years back. His hair was tousled and his almond eyes looked into hers. His complexion was flawless and his tanned skin shone under the dim light of the ramen shop. His nose, his lips, his eyes were all familiar though she noticed that his features had matured and she cannot deny that he looked even better than last time.
 
"Kai?" She fumbled, agape as her first love stood right in front of her.
 
"Yes, it's me." He acknowledged. Slowly, he stepped forward only to have Kamin moving back hastily, knocking over the bowl of ramen on the table. Its piping hot contents spilled onto Kamin's arm.  
 
"Ouch!" Kamin winced as the scalding soup spilled onto her bare skin. A red patch was already forming. 
 
"Oh my gosh, you got scalded. Let me see it." Kai tried to hold her arm though she shoved his hand away almost immediately. 
 
"Get away from me, Kai." Kamin's eyes were b with tears as she stared at him, her eyes cold and filled with hatred.
 
"You are hurt!" Kai tried to reason with her.
 
"It's not as if its the first time I got hurt, especially when you were the first one to hurt me. " Kamin replied coldly before she pushed him aside and ran out of the door and into the bustling streets of Tokyo.
 
She never looked back, she just kept running and running aimlessly through the crowd. She could faintly hear Kai shouting behind her. 
 
"Wait, Kamin! Wait!" She ignored his desperate shouts, running even faster. The streets became blurry in front of her as she sped past the crowd. Unfortunately, she tripped and fell on the hard pavement of the road. Kamin sat on the floor, groaning with pain as she touched her ankle gingerly.
 
"Kamin!" She heard Kai running towards her. He had obviously taken that opportunity to catch up with her. 
 
"Are you alright? Why did you run so fast? You can't outrun me, you know that." Kai said as he looked at Kamin, concerned. 
 
Kamin turned away from him. She couldn't bear to see him, or even hear him. He hurt her and she was never gonna forgive him for it. "Things change, Kai. I have changed, too." Kamin shot laconically.
 
"Kamin,please." Kai grabbed her shoulders and spun her around.
 
"Let go of me." Kamin struggled to break free of his hold. He was strong, still as strong as before.
 
Kai sighed before he loosened his grip on her shoulders. "Sorry." 
 
"You should be, Kai." Kamin spat,"not for this." 
 
"Where do you live? I will take you home and bandage your ankle and do something about your arm." Kai pointed to her arm which had turned red.
 
"No need for that," Kamin folded her arms,"I can help myself and goodbye." 
 
"Come on, Kamin. You are hurt. Please. Just let me get you back to your home." 
 
"I just arrived here. How could I even get a home, much less an apartment to stay in. And stop talking to me! I haven't even forgiven you for what you did to me last time. " Kamin shouted, angry tears running down her face. She felt so small and pathetic. The worst thing was that she was in that state right in front of the guy she hated the most. 
 
Kai ran his fingers through his tousled hair, frustrated. "This gives me even more reason to help you. Kamin, stop being stubborn. Let me take you back to my house and you can freshen up there. You don't have to stay, that's all I am asking for." 
 
"Why must I?" Kamin retorted.
 
"Because." Kai smirked. He had won the argument.
 
"Come on, lets go. I will help you to the car." Kai extended his hand.
 
Kamin scoffed,"no need. I will get up myself." She struggled to maintain her balance as she stood up shakily. Having sprained her ankle, she fell forward into Kai's arms. She gasped. They were only inches apart and Kai had caught her in his arms. 
 
"Woah!" Kamin fell forward, landing in Kai's strong muscular arms. 
 
"I guess I can rely on you to catch me whenever I am going to fall." Kamin smiled up at Kai who looked back at her with fondness in his eyes. 
 
"Of course, that's what a boyfriend should do, shouldn't he? Especially when his girlfriend is the prettiest girl in the whole universe." Kai chuckled as he kissed her gently on the lips.
 
"You are the best boyfriend in the whole world." Kamin sighed, returning the kiss.
 
"You are the best girlfriend in the universe." Kai murmured as he ran his fingers through her hair,"I love it when I am so close to you." 
 
"Why?" 
 
"Because." 
 
Kamin's mind was spinning with the past memories she and Kai and shared; the memories that had not been reminisced about since their break up. She blinked, returning back to reality. She glanced away from Kai's intense gaze as she stood up slowly. Kai cleared his throat awkwardly,"the car is just right in front. I will go get the car, stay here and don't move." 
 
"My luggage is still in the ramen shop!" Kamin shouted to him,"get it back." Though she was planning to ignore Kai and not talk to him anymore, she still had to get her luggage back. After all, that was all to her name in Tokyo. She had nothing else. 
 
Kai nodded before he ran off, disappearing into the crowd. Kamin stood at her spot, waiting. She muttered to herself. "Why must I meet him out of all people?"