Sent and received

Our love story

 

Tao sifted through the pile of envelops from the mailbox. Sitting casually on his plush sofa, he yawned, tossing aside a few more envelops. " I hate how I get so many envelops every day." Tao lamented to his friend, Baekhyun, who was taking his breakfast of bacon and eggs, coupled with a cup of high-grade coffee. 
 
"Mmm." Baekhyun murmured back. Tao glanced at his friend and shook his head sadly. Poor lovelorn fellow. Baekhyun had been in a rather gloomy mood ever since three days ago. Tao had found him drowning his sorrows at a pub, downing glass after glass. 
 
Tao sifted through the pile of envelops from the mailbox. Sitting casually on his plush sofa, he yawned, tossing aside a few more envelops. " I hate how I get so many envelops every day." Tao lamented to his friend, Baekhyun, who was taking his breakfast of bacon and eggs, coupled with a cup of high-grade coffee. 
 
"Mmm." Baekhyun murmured back. Tao glanced at his friend and shook his head sadly. Poor lovelorn fellow. Baekhyun had been in a rather gloomy mood ever since three days ago. Tao had found him drowning his sorrows at a pub, downing glass after glass. 
 
"Baekhyun, are you okay? Tell me what happened. I will try to help you." Tao patted his friend on the back. 
 
"Tao, I wish you could help. I wish you could help me. But can you make it go away? Can you make my sadness go away? Can you make the pain go away? Can you..." Baekhyun's voice quivered,"can you make those painful recollections go away? And...can you change the fact that the girl I love so dearly is going to get marry to another man?" 
 
Baekhyun was clearly heartbroken. Kamin was going to get married. 
 
Tao's jaw dropped,"Kamin? She is getting married? But... She is your wife-to-be!" 
 
"She was." Baekhyun said bitterly,"but now she is getting married to him." 
  
Tao's mouth turned into a frown. Kamin was going to get married to one of his other best friend, Kai. Kai was a great friend. He was one charismatic guy and Tao could see why Kamin liked him. He was gentle, kind,handsome, (Tao envied Kai's good looks) and all the other good qualities a girl would want in a guy. 
 
So Tao was torn between feeling happy for Kai and feeling sad for Baekhyun. The feeling was reinforced when Tao caught sight of a pretty envelop lying at the bottom of his pile of letters. Light pink in colour, his stomach lurched when he saw it was from Kai's residence. He opened the envelop and took out the wedding invite from inside. 
 
Dearest Tao,
 
Kai and Kamin cordially invite you to their wedding on the 20th of October. Held at the Rose Garden, it would be a simple wedding with only a close circle of friends. 
 
We hope to see you there.
 
xoxo,
Kai and Kamin. 
 
At the bottom left corner of the card, he found some neat handwriting that was definitely not Kai's. 
Please extend this invite to Baekhyun. I hope he can attend the wedding.
 
Tao shoved the invite back into the envelop hurriedly as Baekhyun walked towards him. 
 
"Why the secrecy?" Baekhyun took the envelop from Tao's hands, ignoring the pleas from Tao not to. 
 
"Baekhyun, you really wouldn't want to see it." Tao groaned as Baekhyun took out the wedding invite. Tao sighed as he saw his friend's mouth pressed into a line and the sadness which emanated from his eyes. 
 
"Oh, Kamin and Kai are getting married." Baekhyun finally said after looking hard at the invite. "That's...great." Baekhyun faked a smile. 
 
"Baekhyun, you-" Baekhyun raised his hand to indicate his wish to not hear anything. 
 
"I am gonna go back to my room. Please extend my blessings to Kamin." Baekhyun turned away. 
 
"But...aren't you going to the wedding?" Tao asked.
 
"The wedding is on 20th October. I booked a return flight to Korea on the 18th October." Baekhyun replied, plastering a fake smile on his face. "Too bad I have to miss the wedding." 
 
"But..." Tao tried to think of something to say. 
 
"I have made my decision and I am not going to refund my ticket. I will go back to Korea." Baekhyun laughed coldly,"I think it would be best this way." 
 
"Baekhyun, but Kamin wants you there. She specifically left a note there." Tao pointed to Kamin's handwriting. 
 
"She did?" Baekhyun swallowed as he saw her handwriting. 
 
"Yeah... So are you going to attend her wedding?" 
 
"The flight is booked." Baekhyun replied with a tone of finality. 
 
Baekhyun walked to his room and closed the door behind him. He placed a hand over his heart. I would be physically gone from Tokyo but grief has no estimated time of departure. The ache is still there. Kamin is still a piece of me I have yet to and would never be able to retrieve.