Impending doom

Our love story

 

"Baekhyun, can we go to your mother's house today? I would like to thank your mum for the porridge." Kamin asked as she held his hand, walking along the clean streets of Seoul.  It was early morning and the sun basked the ground with its warmth. The flowers are in full bloom, coloring the grey pavements with fluffs of pink, yellow and green. 
 
"Now? You just recovered and to my house even?" Baekhyun clutched her hand protectively,"don't you remember what I told you the last time? You must be-" 
 
Kamin pecked him on the lips,"yes... I must be wary of Baekhee and protect myself and our baby right?" She squeezed his hand reassuringly.
 
"I will be fine. Don't worry. Besides, we can also tell them about the good news!" She smiled up at him, holding up her hand to show the intricate ring on her ring finger. 
 
"Aish... Kamin ah... Okay fine,provided you stick by my side no matter what okay? You must be within a one metre radius." Baekhyun chuckled.
 
"Yes. One metre radius." Kamin laughed as she lay her head on his shoulder. It was her comfort since a long time ago. It made her so much calmer and it relaxed her in a way she couldn't explain it. She could only say that that was love's magic.
 
**********
"Annyeong." Kamin greeted her mother-in-law as she stepped into their posh house. The marble floor was polished, reflecting the light from the chandelier that hung from the ceiling.
 
"Kamin ah. I haven't seen you in such a while. You look in the pink of health now." Baekhyun's mother smiled kindly at her. 
 
"Neh, your son has been very caring towards me. Oh and thanks for the porridge." Kamin expressed her thanks, laughing as she placed her hand on Baekhyun's outstretched one. They sat side by side on the comfy plush sofa, engaging in an animated conversation with the older lady. 
 
"Kamin ah, you don't have to be so formal. We are going to be family soon. You can call me like how Baekhyun does. I am so glad to have you as Baekhyun's fiancée. I would gladly care for you as a half-daughter or daughter in fact." His mother laughed, showing her eye smile.
 
"Speaking about that," Kamin started as she held Baekhyun's hands,"Baekhyun has proposed to me and I agreed." She glowed with happiness as she showed the ring proudly to her mother-in-law.
 
"Wah, that's pretty. Baekhyun, you really do have good choice." His mother nodded her head approvingly,"Kamin ah, you must remember to discuss with me regarding your wedding plans. I shall help to choose an auspicious date for the two of you to be wed." His mother clasped her hands in joy. 
 
"Neh, Eomma." Kamin beamed. Baekhyun smiled fondly at Kamin until he heard footsteps, the familiar ones that used to greet him when he came home from school last time.  His smile froze. Baekhee.
 
"Ah, Baekhee. You are just in time. Look who is here? We can have lunch now. I am so glad I cooked extra." Her mother smiled as she got off from the couch,"oh and just for your information, your oppa has proposed to Kamin already! Isn't this such a happy occasion?" 
 
"Annyeong," Kamin called.
 
Baekhyun gripped her hand protectively as he forced a smile." Annyeong, Baekhee ah."
 
"Annyeong." Baekhee acknowledged though she kept her disquieting gaze on Baekhyun. He proposed? . 
 
Baekhyun swallowed,"Kamin ah. Lets go to the kitchen to help Eomma." 
 
"Neh." Kamin followed obediently as she held his hand, tagging behind him as he made his way to the kitchen. 
 
Kamin, so I see we meet again. Do not fear cause your impending doom would come soon and I assure you you wouldn't live for your wedding or even tomorrow. Baekhee stared grimly at the two loving figures in the kitchen. She stared at their intertwined hands, her own hands forming two tight fists at each side. 
 
 
"Ta-da. Rice with kimchi and some herbal chicken for Kamin. There's also soup on the table.You must take care of yourself and the baby. Aigoo, I think the baby would be so cute, as cute as Baekhyun when he was young." The elderly woman laughed cheerily to the couple as they settled down the dishes on the table.   
 
"Thank you." Kamin replied as she sat down next to Baekhyun.
 
"Baekhee ah, come and eat." Kamin called out cheerfully. Baekhee grudgingly came, plastering a smile on her face. 
 
"Neh, thanks Kamin unnie." Baekhee sat right in front of Kamin. "Here, let me help you with the soup." Baekhee's lips curved into a sly smile as she grabbed the ladle and scooped the soup. A seemingly innocent action was, however, not taken lightly by Baekhyun who saw this as a reenactment of the porridge-spilling scene. 
 
"It's okay, Baekhee. You can take it for yourself. I will help Kamin." Baekhyun hurriedly took another bowl. Baekhee frowned,"what? Can't I just take it for her?" 
 
"It's okay, Baekhee ah. Just let your brother help her. It's what he should do, anyways." Their mother cut in,"let your Baekhyun oppa do what he wants to do. You can't stop him, Baekhee." She chided. 
 
"Fine." Baekhee slumped back down into her chair, silently grumbling. Stupid mother, can you not be the one who interrupts my plans? First you sent me off overseas to prevent me from 'causing trouble' and now you don't even want me to be involved in anything with oppa. Fine, you'll see what will become of your beloved daughter-in-law. Just wait. 
*******
"That was a wonderful dinner, Eomma. I really liked the herbal chicken." Kamin stood by the door as night fell. The sky had turned a dark mysterious blue with big clouds looming ahead. There were no stars twinkling against the cobalt blue sky and the streets were dark except for the light from the street lamps.
 
"Neh, do come again to visit! We welcome you with open arms. I also am anticipating the day when you officially come into our family." 
 
"Neh, I do too. Thank you again." Kamin greeted as she stepped out of the door, with Baekhyun by her side.
 
"Yeobo, shall we head home?" Baekhyun extended his arm. Kamin giggled,"sure. Let's-" 
 
Kamin let out a piercing scream as a flowerpot dropped down, missing her just by an inch. Shards of the broken flower pot littered the pavements. 
 
"Omo. Kamin ah, are you okay? Are you hurt? Anywhere?" Baekhyun fussed, squinting to check if his girlfriend had suffered any injuries.
 
 "Who in the right mind would drop a flower pot?" Baekhyun fumed as he looked up to see a light blinking off from the very familiar balcony. Right, that person isn't in the right mind to begin with. 
 
"It's probably the wind..." Kamin murmured as she sat on the ground. She gingerly touched the fresh wound on her leg, covered by the cloak of darkness that fell upon them.
 
"Kamin, don't be silly. There is no wind and please, I know you know who did this." Baekhyun crouched down as he helped Kamin get up.
 
"Come on. " 
 
"Ouch." Kamin winced as she stood up.
 
"Mmmm? Kamin, where are you hurt?" 
 
"Nothing. It's just a scratch." 
 
"Where?" There was a tone of urgency in his voice.
 
"My leg." 
 
"A scratch? A scratch? You are bleeding, gosh. Let's go back in. You have to wash up your wound and I have some talking to do." Baekhyun's eyes widened at the sight of fresh scarlet blood trickling down Kamin's leg. It was a minor cut but blood seemed to make Baekhyun more tensed and to him, Kamin losing blood was a very bad thing. 
 
"Come on, I will carry you." Baekhyun lifted Kamin gently from the ground. 
 
"Thanks." Kamin murmured as she slung her hands doing his neck, keeping silent as she stayed in his arms. She could hear his heartbeat, a pace too fast now. He's angry, she thought. "Baekhyun?" She spoke as he stood on the front porch step. 
 
"Yeah?" 
 
"Don't stress yourself too much okay? Don't do anything rash." She murmured as she planted a chaste kiss on his lips.
 
"Neh." Baekhyun sighed. "Eomma? Kamin is hurt, we need help!" He called, receiving an almost immediate response from the door.
 
"Neh?" Baekhee swung open the door, looking rather pleased like a cat which just got her milk. A smug smile played on her lips as she spotted a cut on Kamin's slender legs. 
 
"I see someone got hurt." She stated simply. 
 
"You know someone got hurt, Baekhee." Baekhyun growled as he gripped her by the arm and pulled her into the house." Baekhee, I know you did it. Stop pretending." Baekhyun pressed his voice low as he spoke to her, his face contorted with fury. 
 
"Oppa, what do you mean?" Baekhee looked innocently at him, her voice a little too sweet. 
 
"You know what I mean. Stop acting, damn it." Baekhyun spat.
 
"Baekhyun ah..." Kamin walked over gingerly, putting a hand on his shoulder,"calm down." 
 
"Eomma!" Baekhyun called. 
 
"Neh?" A voice came from the kitchen and his mother peeked out. 
 
"Kamin ah, you are back," she ran forward to welcome her daughter-in-law, only to exclaim in shock as she spotted blood,"Kamin ah. What happened to your leg? Sit down, sit down. It must hurt. Wait." 
 
"Neh, thank you." Kamin murmured as she was helped to the sofa,"I am really okay. It's just a small cut,Eomma. There really is no need."  
 
"Kamin ah, you can't say that. There is blood." She replied pointedly as she brought out a first aid kit. "Let me see." Baekhyun's mother tended gently to the wound, dabbing it with a cotton wool. 
 
"You. Come with me." Baekhyun turned his attention back to Baekhee, narrowing his eyes. He dragged her into the room. "Byun Baekhee. What do you think you are doing?" He flung her onto the bed. Baekhee touched her arm gingerly, silent. It was red from Baekhyun's tight vise-like grip.
 
"Byun Baekhee. Can you please answer me? What are you trying to do by doing all these? Spilling porridge and soup and trying to kill Kamin with a flowerpot? Are you insane?" Baekhyun shouted.
 
"Oppa. Can't you see I am doing all these for you?" Baekhee retorted.
 
"You are not. You are not doing this for me at all. You are doing this for your own selfish reasons and you don't spare a thought for me at all, nor are you making me happy by trying to hurt Kamin over and over again."
 
"I am fighting for my own happiness, oppa!" Baekhee stood up, going face to face with Baekhyun. 
 
"Stop it, Baekhee." Baekhyun replied coldly. 
 
"We could have been together. Weren't we very happy the last time? And now this girl, Kamin pops up." Baekhee's voice trembled,"she stole you away from me. And I am never going to forgive her for that. Never. She is the one who is preventing the two of us from being together. I know you love me, oppa. You do. You do." Baekhee grabbed hold of Baekhyun's arm only to be pushed away by her oppa. 
 
"Baekhee. I don't love you. I had never loved you from the start. You were just a sister to me and we can be nothing more than siblings. Stop your fantasies and come back to reality. I can never love you. The one I love is Kamin. And you'd better stop hurting her. I would never let you off or forgive you if she is harmed again." Baekhyun answered acrimoniously. 
 
"No, oppa. I will not let her off either for stealing you away from me. I will do all it takes to get rid of her. Even now." Baekhee answered, with a trace of menace in her voice. With that, she grabbed the penknife on the desk and flung open the door.