Old friend

Our love story

 

"Tao?" Baekhyun's face lit up with a rare smile,"is that really you?" 
 
"Of course it's me! Who else has this charming face?" Tao teased, the ever familiar mischievous twinkle in his eye,"come on in, Baekhyun! We have lots of catching up to do." 
 
"Well, I am actually in the midst of something important..." Baekhyun trailed off. 
 
Tao frowned,"come on! We haven't talked in ages and much less seen each other for years. That certain thing you are doing could wait for a while right? And I bet you haven't had lunch." Tao tapped at his gold watch on his hand. 
 
It's 1p.m.  already? Time sure flies... "Well, okay then." Baekhyun relented and he got into the car, sitting next to Tao. 
 
"Yo, old friend. You have grown more handsome, eh?" Tao gave him a bro hug,"hmmm. But still not as handsome as me." 
 
Baekhyun punched him on the shoulder,"you are still the same you. It has been so long since you left for Japan and you were the last one I thought I would see. What a small world." 
 
Tao smirked,"well, I was in the car, looking to see what interesting things have sprung up around here and I found you walking around. Alone." 
 
"Yeah... I am a loner." Baekhyun sighed.
 
"A loner? I never thought you would say that about yourself. Don't you have a girlfriend? I vaguely remember that you had one and you were over the moon. You even called me to tell me that." 
 
"Well, she is the reason that I am here. She came to Japan because of some...sort of conflict we had. It's complicated and I don't want to put you through a long story." 
 
"It's okay. I am bored anyways. Go on." Tao egged.
 
"Alright then. I will simplify it a little. We were happy together and we got engaged not long ago. I had already proposed to her and she agreed. But...the thing is she was pregnant and she had a miscarriage. I was supposed to make a decision. If I wanted the baby to survive, she would not survive and if she survives, the baby will die." Baekhyun clasped his hands together tightly, his jaws clenched.
 
Tao patted him on the back,"you had such a hard time. I am sorry." 
 
Baekhyun shook his head,"of course, I sighed the document to save my girlfriend. I mean, she means the world to me and I couldn't let her go. The surgery was a success and she lived though the baby was gone. When she awoke, she was so unhappy that she left me and left the engagement ring behind. And according to her best friend, she came to Tokyo. That's why I am here. To find her." Baekhyun finished. 
 
Tao looked at him, his eyes sad. "If she knew what you have been through, she would regret leaving you." 
 
"All I want is to find her. It's of top priority to me as of now. I have to find her. I really... I really can't do without you. Do you understand, Tao?" Baekhyun asked. Tao shook his head. 
 
"No, but I am sorry for you." Tao spoke. Baekhyun managed a small smile.
 
"No need for that. All I need is your support." 
 
"Of course I will support you! When have I never supported you?" Tao grinned.
 
"Okay, too much about me. How are you now?" 
 
"Well, I am now an influential entrepreneur." Tao announced proudly, puffing out his chest. "And you didn't believe me last time when I said I was going to be famous." 
 
"By manufacturing martial arts equipment?" Baekhyun stifled a laugh.
 
"Well... That didnt work out but still..." Tao whined,"I got famous through my own clothes label. " 
 
"Woah, that's great. Congratulations. You must be living the life now." Baekhyun smiled.
 
"Yeah, totally. Oh right...Where are you staying anyways?" Tao questioned. 
 
"In the hotel right there." Baekhyun pointed to the colossal building. 
 
"What? A friend of Tao does not need to stay in any hotel. I insist that you come to my house to stay. It has far too many rooms and I need company." Tao grinned, his cheekbones lifted.
 
"But-" 
 
"Hey, we are buddies, aren't we? Don't stand on ceremony. You are like my brother, seriously." Tao clapped him on the back,"come on. Let's get you checked out of that hotel before we head back to my house for a sumptuous lunch prepared by my very own chef." 
 
Baekhyun simply nodded.  "Thank you very much, then." 
 
"To my residence, please." Tao said to the chauffeur after stopping at the hotel to check out for Baekhyun. The car travelled leisurely down the streets , making a few turns here and there before it stopped in front of a house looking grand enough to be a 6-star hotel. It was painted with a coat of milky white and there were three stories to the house.
 
"Woah. Tao, you are really affluent. This house is..." Baekhyun shook his head in awe,"indescribable. It must have cost millions." 
 
"Well, what can I say?" Tao shrugged his shoulders. He adjusted his suit properly and alike a proper host, he beckoned Baekhyun to enter. 
 
"Welcome to my humble abode." Tao smiled as they entered his house. The interior design was as fabulous as the exterior, with chandeliers dangling from pure white ceilings and many antiques resting on tables. The floor was well-polished and looking to the furthest part of the room, Baekhyun saw a spiral of stairs leading up to the second and third floor. 
 
"Woah, what do you have in here?" 
 
"The first floor has my dining room, kitchen, living room and some stuff for entertainment over there," Tao gestured to the table soccer and karaoke system at a corner of the room,"and the second floor has my room, a guest room and a study room. The third floor is basically rooms and more rooms." 
 
Baekhyun nodded as he gazed in awe at the surroundings. 
 
"Alright, let's have some lunch. " Tao clapped his hands as he led Baekhyun to the table, on it which had Apician pleasures. This was what Baekhyun would call a 'Lucullan Feast'. There were expensive wagyu beef as well as sushi and many other delicacies from all around the world. 
 
"Did your chef cook all these?" 
 
"My chefs." Tao emphasized on the plural form,"their food is really delicious. Tuck in!"
 
Baekhyun took a bite into the beef. His eyes shone. "This is the best wagyu beef ever. "He said as he munched on the food placed before him.
 
"Of course, the best is only for you." Tao beamed before adding,"and me."
 
"Still as generous." Baekhyun grinned as he bit into a juicy steak. 
 
"Of course. I am known for being benevolent and generous to the people. " Tao smiled happily, cutting the fried fish and chips with much table etiquette.
 
"Oh right. Now since you are in the business, aren't you busy?" Baekhyun asked.
 
"Well, I am not that busy. Sometimes I just have to get back to the office which is quite near, a 10-15min drive away, to sign some documents. And sometimes, I would have to just check on stuff..." Tao muttered. 
 
"I see. What about things for 'generosity' and stuff?" Baekhyun teased.
 
"Oh yes! You reminded me. Oh, I almost forgot. I am organizing this charity masquerade ball three days later. The guests would include some associates and probably their dates. It would be fun." Tao rubbed his hands in glee,"and you know what? You shall come with me as my date." 
 
"Single?" Baekhyun joked.
 
Tao rolled his eyes,"unfortunately so."