Unfathomable

Our love story

 

"Wait, what?" Tao asked again,"what...you are saying that..." His eyebrows raised in disbelief.
 
Baekhyun nodded,"for the umpteenth time, Tao. Yes." 
 
"You mean her? Like the prettiest one in the white dress? Kamin?" Tao confirmed again. Baekhyun's heart ached at the mention of her name.
 
"Yes." Baekhyun nodded.
 
Tao flung his hands up as he crossed his long legs. He rested his arm on the back of the sofa,"you are always the lucky one out of us." 
 
Baekhyun sighed,"not really. I am only going to be a lucky guy if you tell me where she is." 
 
"My dear friend, if she is your girlfriend, why wouldn't she let you know her whereabouts?" Tao questioned.
 
"We got into some relationship problems, remember?" Baekhyun groaned,"Tao, I have to find her. She means everything to me and I have already missed the first opportunity to get her back. Please, tell me where she is. I don't know what to do without her." 
 
"Alright, I didn't say I wouldn't tell you." Tao sighed as he patted Baekhyun lightly on the back,"since she came with Kai, she would be staying with him right?" 
 
Baekhyun nodded grimly,"I don't think she could have found anywhere else to stay, right?" 
 
"Yeah...but Baekhyun?" Tao started, a little hesitant,"if she is staying with him...then what is their relationship?" 
 
Baekhyun coughed uneasily. I don't want to think that far yet. "I don't know and I don't want to know. I just have to get to her." 
 
"Here's Kai's address. I think you will be able to find her there. Good luck. I am supporting you." Tao scribbled down an address on a piece of scrap paper which he passed over to Baekhyun,"and I would suppose you would need something like a car to get you there. It's very near. Just turn right and then go straight before turning right again." Tao dropped a set of car keys into Baekhyun's hand. 
 
"Thanks, Tao." Baekhyun smiled before he sprinted towards the door. The door closed behind him, leaving Tao in his colossal abode.
 
"Good luck, my friend." Tao said aloud. He sat by the couch for a while more before he disappeared into his own bedroom.
Baekhyun got into the flashy red convertible and he sped down the road, going as fast as he could without breaking any traffic laws. Go straight...
 
He passed the rows of street lights that lined the snowy white pavements that have been long caked with a perfect layer of snow. The snow was falling lightly on the pavements of Tokyo. The trees were barren with branches that swayed ever so slightly amidst the wind. The streets were empty except for a few people walking to and fro the shops that sat at the two sides of the road.
 
And turn right again. Baekhyun swerved the car to the right and parked the car at the side of the road. Fishing the piece of scrap paper out of his pocket, he got out of the car and looked at the house which sat right in front of him. He rubbed his hands together, breathing warm air on them after placing the piece of paper carefully into his jacket's pocket.
 
"Number 53..." He double checked the address,"this should be the house." Murmuring to himself, he walked up towards the house. It was almost as big as Tao's but much simpler with modern exterior designs and a nice little garden behind the iron gates that stood in between Baekhyun and the interior of the house.
 
"Ding dong." Baekhyun pressed the doorbell. His heart thumped as he waited. Was Kamin going to come out? What would she say to him? How would she react? Baekhyun waited. And waited. No answer. 
 
"Hmm." Baekhyun peered,"no one home?" He called out. Only the sound of the breeze replied. 
 
His mouth turned into a slight frown as he walked back to the car. Getting into the car, he drummed his long fingers on the steering wheel. What should I do now? Is this fate? Is it fate that we shouldn't meet again? Whatever. Fate can't stop me from finding Kamin. 
 
He started the engine and the car sped down the road again, albeit a bit slower than the first time. Baekhyun's hopes were not dashed, but he felt an ache in his heart. He saw Kamin once and he let that opportunity slip through his fingers. He has to find her again , he must. 
 
Baekhyun sighed as he looked out of the car window. The street was brightened up, not by the street lights since it was early morning, but by the lights emanating from the rows of shops at the side of the road.
 
A sudden flash of chocolate brown suddenly caused him to stop and stare for a while, into an apparel store at the side of the road. Baekhyun leaned forward, struggling to get a better look from the snow frosted car window. There was someone, no two of them, in the store. 
 
Aish. Baekhyun got out of the car which he hastily parked at the roadside, slammed shut the door and went a little closer to take a better look. The mannequins in the store seemed to be blocking his view as the two girls, he confirmed upon closer inspection, weaved in and out of the racks of the clothes. Taking a bold step forward, his eyes widened in recognition. 
 
He pushed open the front door of the store, causing the door chimes to jingle crazily due to the force he exerted on the door itself. 
 
They turned, their eyes startled. But one of them stood rooted on the spot as a voice, so familiar, called out her name.
 
"Kamin!" Baekhyun exclaimed as he came face to face with her. How he longed to just grab her there and hug her tight and vow never ever to let her go again. But as he reached out to her, she pushed past him, running out of the store in her boots that left fresh footprints in the snow.
 
Baekhyun, regaining his senses immediately, followed. "Kamin! Don't go. Do you know how long I have been trying to find you?" 
 
"Please, Baekhyun. Don't make this so hard. I told you. I already wrote in that letter not to try to find me anymore. We need time to cool down." Kamin shouted as she ran. She could feel Baekhyun hot on her heels. She gasped as he wrapped a pair of strong arms around her, enveloping her in familiar warmth that she had never expected to ever feel again. 
 
She shut her eyes as she tried to squirm out of his embrace. Her tears threatened to fall as he whispered to her, his arms wrapped around her even more tightly.
 
"Do you even know how much I went through to find you here? Do you even know how much I missed you? Every day, Kamin. Every minute, every second. You are always on my mind. Please, just let me explain." 
 
Kamin held her hands over her ears. "Stop it. I don't want to hear you say anything." She broke free of his grasp and turned to face him. Agony washed over his sharp features. 
 
"I told you," her voice trembled,"that you and I..." She inhaled a deep breath of air, struggling to compose herself. 
 
"you and I never happened." Just as she was about to take off and run, Baekhyun gripped her arm yet again.
 
"Let go of me!" She screamed. 
 
"Can you just let me explain? Why is it so hard? Why must you make both of us miserable? I clearly still love you and I know you do too. Please, Kamin. Listen to me. Hear me out." Baekhyun tried to reason with her. Kamin bit her lip as she tried to shove his hand away. 
 
"Kamin-" 
 
"Get away from my girl."