Pause

Our love story

 

Kamin froze as a ferocious snarl emanated from behind her. A strong hand grabbed her other arm and pulled her roughly backwards. Baekhyun caught off guard, loosened his grip and he regretted it instantaneously. Kamin fell backwards into someone's strong and lean arms. Upon regaining her balance, she turned. 
 
Kai. 
 
"You okay?" His voice lowered to a whisper as he pulled her to his side, away from Baekhyun who was staring right at them this instant. Kamin touched her arm gingerly, finding a red patch on her arm. Baekhyun held her really tightly. Her heart was still beating and her mind was still an empty blank. She had never expected to see Baekhyun here. In Japan. In Tokyo. In Yuki's store. She couldn't think or react properly. All she could manage was a small nod to assure Kai she was fine. 
 
Baekhyun stepped forward, trying to reach out to Kamin but he paused as Kai stepped forward protectively.
 
Kai had stretched out his hand, blocking Baekhyun from Kamin. 
 
"Get. Away. From. Her." Kai growled, emphasizing every syllabus of his sentence as he stood protectively in front of Kamin.
 
Baekhyun frowned as he pushed the younger one forcefully. "Who are you?" 
 
"Who are you?" Kai retorted as he stood form to the ground. 
 
"I am her fiancé, if you would mind. Get lost. I still have to talk to her." Baekhyun tried to push his way through Kai to Kamin who was still in the midst of processing what happened. 
 
Wait. Her fiancé? Kamin...she... Kai could not help but think.
 
"Get away from her!" Kai hollered as he shoved Baekhyun away. Baekhyun stumbled back and the anger got the better of him as his hand involuntarily threw a punch. 
 
Kamin gasped as Kai fell to the ground. She helped him up hastily. 
 
"Your mouth..." She pointed with a finger at the blood. 
 
Kai brushed away the blood from his mouth as he continued to glare at Baekhyun. 
 
"You deserved it." Baekhyun stated curtly,"for preventing me from getting to my girlfriend so just get lo-" 
 
A voice interrupted them for the very first time. Both of them turned as Kamin finally uttered a word. Even Kai who was getting ready to fight again turned. 
 
"No." Kamin stepped forward, just standing beside Kai. "Kai doesn't deserve it at all, Baekhyun." Baekhyun met her eyes, confusion in his own. Kai? Wait a second
 
"Wait, he is Kai? CEO of Kaura? Kai..." Baekhyun muttered. His mouth fell open as he finally made the link. No wonder that name sounded so familiar.
 
"He's your ex boyfriend." Baekhyun stated. 
 
"Yes but that relationship has changed. Things change, Baekhyun." Kamin replied.
 
Kai turned to meet her eyes, confused as well as she intertwined her fingers with his. Electricity pulsed through him as they made contact. It was the first act of skinship that Kamin initiated. Kai could not help but feel his heart pulsating. Kamin met his gaze and nodded slightly as she squeezed his hand. 
 
"He," Kamin spoke," is my boyfriend." 
 
Kai's jaw dropped slightly. What? 
 
Kamin held their hands up. 
 
"See, Baekhyun? We are together now and you coming back would not change anything. The one I love is him. Yes, he was my ex boyfriend but when I came to Tokyo, I realized that Kai is the one for me. He has always been the one for me. I have already moved on, Baekhyun. I have already forgotten about you. " Kamin said, her voice steady. 
 
Baekhyun hated how their shoulders brushed against each other, how her hand was in his and not his own hands, how their fingers were intertwined like that and how steady her voice sounded. He knew Kamin like the back of his hand. He had long memorized her facial features, her hair, her amygdaloid eyes, her nose, her lips and they had been together for so long that he knew her inside out. Or he thought he knew. 
 
The cool wind blew past them silently. Snow continued to fall steadily onto the ground. Baekhyun shook his head violently, his two fists clenched at his sides. It was supposed to be him standing beside her and he would wrap his arm around her to protect her from the cold. It was supposed to be his fingers filling in the gaps between hers and it was supposed to be a wonderful snowy day in Tokyo where the both of them would walk under the street lights late into the night, murmur sweet nothings to each other and kiss under the moonlight. 
 
"Let's go, Kai." Kamin finally spoke as only silence hung in the air. She turned to Baekhyun. 
 
"I don't think I have anything else to say to you and if you will excuse me." Kamin, still holding Kai's hand, walked past Baekhyun coldly. 
 
"Wait." Baekhyun spoke. 
 
Kamin paused, her head facing the cold, bleak scenery of the streets of Tokyo. Never had it seemed so barren before. Never had the snow feel so cold and harsh against her skin. Never had her heart hurt this much. 
 
"I don't believe you and I won't believe you because I know that in your heart, I am still there. Find me, Kamin. Because if you don't, I don't know how long I will continue to be lost." 
 
His last words hung in the air. 
 
Snow caked the ground in a thick layer of white and Kamin could only see a blurry patch of white mixed with grey before her as she walked away, Kai trudging behind her in silent thought.
 
Baekhyun stood there for a little while more before he walked off. He hoped he would not be a lost child for long.