Choices

Our love story

 

 
Baekhyun sat outside the operation room, his hands clasped tightly together as he prayed silently. The operation has been going on for two hours straight. He glanced at his watch with his tired eyes. 11pm. He sighed as he looked at the operation room's door.Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut as he prayed for the umpteenth time for the safety of his beloved girl and baby. Kamin ah, I would not forgive myself if anything happens to you. Be strong, babe. He stared at the ring on his finger, touching it absentmindedly. 
 
The operation doors swung open suddenly, jolting Baekhyun from his train of thoughts. He ran a hand through his tousled brown hair,"doctor, how is she? How is my wife?" His heart pounded nervously as the doctor simply glanced down at his sheet of paper, a look of anxiety on his face.
 
"Is miss Kamin related to you?" The doctor asked.
 
"Yes, I just said she was my wife. I am Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun." Baekhyun answered, exasperated. 
 
"Okay...." The doctor trailed off,"after careful examination, we had to stop in the middle of the surgery because there is a problem." 
 
"What problem?" Baekhyun asked, his eyebrows furrowed.
 
"You have to choose, mr Byun." The doctor wiped some beads of sweat off his forehead,"we are unable to keep both the child and the mother." 
 
The doctor's words hit Baekhyun hard, he sank down into the chair, shaking his head. 
 
"Isn't there any other way, doctor?" Baekhyun held his head in his hands. His mind was filled with a mix of emotions, messy and frantic. 
 
"Mr Byun, I am sorry to say that there really is no way. We got out the bullet but we are unable to do anything to save the baby and the mother." The doctor said,"here is the contract. Please sign and we would be able to continue with the surgery. This contract is for the abortion of the baby." 
 
"What? Abortion? No way, I am not signing that contract." Baekhyun shook his head, his tears falling silently. Kamin would not want that. 
 
"Mr Byun, please reconsider. When faced with this circumstance, I would advise you to save the mother instead of the baby." 
 
Kamin... Kamin would not want the abortion, she loves the baby and so do I. But... Kamin would die if the baby isn't aborted. Baekhyun sat silently on the chair, burying his face in his hands.
 
"Mr Byun, please do make your decision quick. Any hesitation may cause unwanted consequences." The doctor said, calm and collected.
 
Baekhyun looked up, his face tear-stricken though his eyes were shining with an understanding light. He looked at the contract the doctor held and with shaking hands, he took a pen from the nurse and signed on the contract. Kamin ah, I hope you know this is for you.
 
"Thank you, mr Byun. We can now carry on with the surgery." The doctor took the contract and made his way hastily back into the operation room. 
 
"Thank you, doctor." Baekhyun whispered.
 
He sank into the chair, his hands clasped together tightly. His body shook as tears came streaming down his face. The decision he had to make was crucial and difficult. Choosing between the love of his life and the baby of his love and himself was tough. Who to choose? Who to sacrifice? He wanted both but he knew that was impossible. Now,he could only hope for the best.