46

My Strange Oppa

 

 
After the exams, the boys wanted to go to Ramen to celebrate that exams were finally over with. 
 
But strangely, you weren’t feeling so well.
 
“I don’t think I’m going to go.” You frowned. “Mianhae.”
 
The boys all stopped cheering as their smiles vanished.
 
“Don’t be such a spoil sport!” Sandeul pouted. 
 
Jinyoung flashed him a look. “Shut up, jerk.” He turned to you and softened, “Tired?”
 
You nodded. That much was true. You were beyond exhausted from all the studying you have been doing for the past week.
 
“Araso. I shall walk you home. Hey, I’ll meet you guys at the place.” He saluted them with two fingers.
 
Gongchan and CNU sensed your distress.
 
“Feel better noona.” Gongchan gave you a bright smile.
 
“Rest a lot. I bet you aced the exams.” CNU gave you a thumbs up.
 
You smiled at their sweet and encouraging words. You bowed. “Araso, gomawo. Have fun.”
 
As you turned, Baro shouted. “WON’T BE AS FUN WITHOUT YOU!” 
 
You blushed and waved to them. You stifled a giggle as you saw Baro push Sandeul’s head. “Babo, why would you say she’s a spoil sport, now hyung will kick your .”
 
Sandeul rubbed his head and let out a sigh.
 
By now, Jinyoung knew how you felt about telling him about your feelings. He didn’t want to press on so he tried lightened the mood. *When she’s ready to tell me, she’ll tell me. I don’t want to force anything.* He began to playfully swing your interconnected hands together as he whistled a happy tune.
 
You looked at how queerly he looked and couldn’t help but break into a cheeky smile. 
 
When you arrived home, Jinyoung and you faced each other for awhile. 
 
“I’ll call up halmoni on Sunday and see if she’s free, araso?” Jinyoung smiled as he curled a loose strand of hair behind your ear.
 
It’s strange that your heart still continued to beat faster and faster every time you felt his touch, as soft as it was, it always sent tingles down your spine. 
 
He fixed your scarf and gave your cheeks a fat smooch. “Call you later baby.” 
 
You smiled and nodded. You watched until he disappeared out of your sight. With a repressed sigh, you went into your house. 
 
When the door opened, all you smelt was the smelly stench of alcohol. 
 
You warily glanced around your house. You could hear a liquid being poured into a cup, and a tinkling of something sharp hitting the glass.
 
“Appa?” You said quietly.
 
You peered into the dining area, and you saw your father sitting by himself with a glass of whiskey in his hands. 
 
You quickly rushed to him. For a fact, your father hated alcohol. He was not a man of good tolerance towards it and you were beyond horrified to see him in this state.
 
“Appa, what are you doing?!” You questioned him angrily.
 
His eyes were clouded with tears as he stared off into the distance. He didn’t look at you, but he answered in an emotionless voice. “Drinking away my problems, can’t you see?”
 
It tore your heart to see him so upset.
 
“Appa, please don’t drink.” You tried to pull the cup away but he wouldn’t let you. 
 
“Stop. I’m a grown man, aren’t I? I can do anything I want without you interfering, can’t I?” He took a sip of his whiskey. His face scrunched up painfully as the heat from the whiskey burned his throat.
 
You gulped, not knowing what to do. 
 
You dropped your bag and sat across from him. *If I agree to move to America, I will hurt Jinyoung. If I agree to stay here, I will hurt appa. Either way, I’m still hurting someone…*
 
“~~~~~~?” Your father said your name.
 
You looked up at him, in his drunken daze. 
 
“Do you love your appa?” His eyes were red and watery.
 
You grew guilty, repressing your own tears. “Of course I do, appa. I love you so much, you should never question that.”
 
He took in what you said and nodded slowly. He took another large gulp of whiskey. He clattered the ice in the glass cup as he watched it intently. “Did I hurt you a lot when I abandoned you?”
 
You nodded. “That’s why I felt so betrayed. Appa, if you need money, I’ll begin working if that’s what you want. I’ll pay back the loan sharks—”
 
“NO!” Your father roared at you. His red eyes were wide with rage and shame. He leaned back and shook his head. “No. This is my fault. I’ll find a way to fix it.”
 
You quickly caught his hand and squeezed it hard. “Don’t do anything rational.”
 
Your father sighed out in frustration as he put his glass cup down. By the force, you thought the glass would have broken, but it didn’t. 
 
“I don’t know what to do though,” your father rubbed his face. When he took them away, you could tell his tears had already spilled. 
 
Never in your existence, have you ever saw your father cry. The worst possible is to see you parents cry, and at the moment, you just wanted to do what you could to make him smile again.
 
“Appa, would it make it easier if we moved to America?” you asked, your tears spilling out.
 
Your father looked at you with wide eyes. 
 
“If it would, if it’s something that must be done, I’ll say yes.” You stared at him broken heartedly. *As much as I love Jinyoung, I love my appa, too….* 
 
“It would… so much…” Your father answered. “But your boyfriend….” 
 
You clenched onto the bottom of your chair. “I’ll think of a way.”
 
Your father got up and ran to you. He hugged you tightly. “Thank you ~~~~~! Thank you. You are everything a daughter should be. I love you so much.”
 
You closed your eyes as the tears soaked your Dad’s shirt. You hugged him back and nodded. “I love you, too.”