17

My Strange Oppa

 

 
It was a cold, dark Saturday night. Your father wasn’t home again, and when the girls called you out, you graciously agreed to go. 
 
You finished all your homework, and you were sure your Dad wouldn’t have mind as long as you didn’t go home too late. 
 
You found yourself sitting in a bar, feeling uncomfortable with the atmosphere. Kyungmi, Hwayoung and Hyunjung manage to find a group of older boys in the bar and mingled with them.
 
You were, again, an outcast. The girls were too busy flirting with the guys to notice your boredom. 
 
“Ya, ~~~~~!” Kyungmi flipped her red hair back and leaned on the shoulder of her guy and stared at you. You can tell she was tipsy by the way her eyes rolled around. “We came here to drink, so drink with us.”
 
You look down at the cup of water in your hand. You shook your head. “You know I don’t drink.” 
 
Hyunjung snorted and wrapped her arms around her guy. “ will be .”
 
That sent out a roar of laughter from the group. 
 
You glared at Hyunjung before taking a big gulp of water. 
 
Hwayoung twirled her hair around and stared at you. “Stop it Hyunjung, you’re going to hurt the poor girl’s feeling.”
 
“I’ll stop if she takes a shot of this,” Hyunjung pushed a small shot cup at you which contained some blue liquid at the bottom and white on top.
 
She pulled away from her guy and gave you an amused look. “Do you dare?”
 
Hwayoung giggled as she stared at you. She looked at Kyungmi who smirked in enjoyment. 
 
You grimaced and stared at the liquid. With a sharp nod, you looked up at Hyunjung and cursed at her in your mind. Lately, every thing has become more irritable and tonight was definitely not the night for Hyunjung to mess with you. 
 
“When you called me out tonight, I thought we were going to go shopping but instead I find myself here at this smelly bar. You know I don’t drink!” you scowled. You got up and pushed the shot back to Hyunjung. “There’s a reason why I’m the angel Queenka.” You smirked and paid for yourself. “I’m leaving.”
 
Hyunjung stared at you in disbelief. “Ya! Do you know who you’re talking to?”
 
You crossed your arms and stared at. “I’m talking to you, so listen carefully when I said I don’t drink.”
 
You turned your back and left.
 
Hyunjung fumed with anger. “Did you hear what she just said?!”
 
Hwayoung pouted and looked at Kyungmi.
 
Kyungmi only stared at your sulky shoulders and shrugged it off.
 
“Baby how about—” 
 
“Don’t touch me!” Hyunjung growled at the guy next to her. 
 
You shook your head. “No thanks. I’ll see you Monday.” 
 
A shiver ran down your spine as you felt the cold chilly weather hit you. You rubbed your arms for warmth. *I should have brought a jacket with me tonight…* 
 
Instead of taking the long way home, you took a short cut to go home faster. You were told not to go this way at night from your Dad, but that’s only because there were a lot of trees and not enough street lamps. 
 
But you lived here your whole life, and you were certain that nothing dangerous ever happens in this neighbour. 
 
Your stomach grumbled with hunger. Your eyes widened. *Aigo, this is the loudest sound in the neighbourhood.*
 
Before going home, you decided to head to a restaurant first to grab something to eat. 
 
When you came near, you noticed a familiar figure. You stared at him in bewilderment. 
 
It was Jinyoung! 
 
He was carrying a tub of dirty dishes, bowls, and cups. His skinny arms looked so fragile, and he was wearing a thin sweater with a white t-shirt underneath. 
 
You crept inconspicuously closer. 
 
There was a small stool where he was able to sit on. He cleaned the dishes thoroughly. Throughout the whole time, he still kept that stupid smile on his face.
 
*He’s always so happy…* You narrowed your eyes as you continued to rub your arms.
 
An ahjumma came out from the back door and smiled fondly at him.
 
She went to him and wiped away the sweat from his forehead and patted his back soothingly.
 
Jinyoung smiled in reassurance and nodded for her to go back in. 
 
She rubbed her arms and nodded. You could see the cold air come out as she spoke. 
 
She went back in, and now Jinyoung was alone again as he worked hard to finish the rest of the dirty dishes. 
 
You grew guilty. *Is that what he meant when he said he worked really hard?* Your phone rang. It was your Dad. 
 
You bit your lip and stared at Jinyoung one last time before leaving.