20

My Strange Oppa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tkm20xY4nw

 
Weeks flew by into months. Before you knew it, it was already December! 
 
School was getting busier and busier and exams were getting near. 
 
You occasionally hung out with the Queenka’s on the weekend, but on the weekday you spent most of it studying, going to the Elderly residence with Jinyoung, and more studying. 
 
To your surprise, you grew quite attached to the elderly couple. 
 
Mrs. Kim really felt like your own grandmother, and Mr. Kim was like your grandfather. Jinyoung felt the same way. 
 
They treated you both like their own grandchildren.
 
You would always learn cooking recipes from Mrs. Kim. Mr. Kim would always tease Jinyoung and gave him dating tips.
 
Whenever you and Jinyoung got into fights, they would always try to put you guys back together because they knew, at the end of the day, just how much you and Jinyoung cared for each other. 
 
Even if you didn’t admit it. 
 
Sometimes when you were too tired, you would sleep over there in their room. 
 
You rarely saw your father because he was always busy. His birthday was coming up soon, and you wanted to spend the day with him. 
 
It was a Friday before the holidays. You wouldn’t be seeing Mr. and Mrs. Kim for a week. 
 
You and Jinyoung decided to skip school early and spend the rest of the day to be with them. 
 
You were in their room. Jinyoung was playing chess with Mr. Kim.
 
“You’re cheating!” Jinyoung accused.
 
Mr. Kim gasped in disbelief. “You did not just accused me of that! I’m known as a chess hero!”
 
Jinyoung rolled his eyes and crossed arms. “I swear you moved your piece when it was my turn!”
 
You grimaced. “Jinyoung, why are you accusing halboji of something he didn’t do!”
 
Halboji nodded in agreement. “~~~~~-ah! Jinyoung is being mean to halboji.”
 
“Jinyoung, say sorry!” You scolded.
 
Jinyoung smirked. “Only if you call me oppa!” 
 
Halmoni chuckled,”Aigooo. I feel like I’m raising 3 kids.”
 
“~~~~-ah,” Halboji frowned. “Just call him oppa so he knows I’m not cheating!” 
 
After much pleading from them, you finally caved in.
 
“Fine,” you sighed. “This is only for halboji. Jinyoung oppa, say sorry for calling halboji a cheater!” 
 
Jinyoung and halboji began to burst into laughter. They smacked palms with each other.
 
“KAMSAHAMNIDA HALBOJI!! Now she finally called me oppa!” Jinyoung snickered.
 
Your face twisted up in recognition. “Was this a plot all along?!”
 
“You gotcha,” halboji chuckled. 
 
You were about to scowl when he began to cough violently.
 
Jinyoung’s smile faded. 
 
Halmoni quickly walked up to him and patted his back. “Yeobo! Gwenchana?” 
 
He nodded, but his coughs got more violent.
 
You grew nervous and picked up the phone to call the nurse. Halboji raised a hand and shook his head. “I’ll be fine,” he managed to wheeze out.
 
You frowned and walked towards Jinyoung who was sitting across him, concerned.
 
Unconciously, Jinyoung wrapped his arm around your waist and gave you a comforting squeeze. You look down at him and bit your lip worriedly. 
 
Halmoni went to the cupboards and grabbed his medicine. She got a cup and went to the washroom and filled it with tap water. She came back and put the pill to his mouth.
 
Halboji quickly ate the pill and sip the pill down. He finally stopped coughing. He looked up to see you and Jinyoung gazing worriedly at him.
 
“I’m okay,” halboji smiled. 
 
You walked over to him hugged him. That surprised him. 
 
“Halboji! I hope your taking your medicine’s regularly! You scared me to death just now!” You frowned.
 
Jinyoung crossed his arms. “We won’t be seeing you for a week, so you must promise to eat it every day old man!”
 
Halboji looked at you both, thankful for you both being in his life. He nodded and shared a small smile. Halmoni was on his other side and gave his hand a tight squeeze. They locked eyes and smiled at each other.
 
After spending time with the couple, it was time for farewell. 
 
“~~~~-ah,” Jinyoung said as you guys walked side by side to the bus stop. 
 
You looked up at him with wide, curious eyes. “Mmm?”
 
The school was having a winter ball a day before Christmas. Normally, when students are off from school for the winter break, they are off for a week. So that means no one will come near the school. 
 
Nothing. Nope. Na da. 
 
But WM high was different. Every year before Christmas, they had a winter ball. For as long as Jinyoung could remember it, he always wanted to ask you. 
 
He wanted to ask so badly considering how close the opportunity was. Yet he couldn’t bring himself to ask you. Jinyoung’s palms grew sweaty as his heart accelerated into his chest. 
 
“Jinyoung, are you okay?” you asked in your tinkling, angelic voice.
 
Jinyoung gulped. “I like sushi.”
 
He wanted to mentally slap himself.
 
You looked at him with wide eyes and nodded slowly. “Okay…” 
 
Jinyoung let out a sigh of frustration. You noticed and giggled.
 
“What do you like the best?” Jinyoung asked.
 
You were standing underneath the bus shelter now. It was a really cold night, and you were definitely not dressed for weather. You only had your uniform on.
 
You tried to look normal but putting a finger to your chin. “Um…” You thought, right then your teeth began to chatter.
 
Jinyoung frowned. “Where’s your jacket?”
 
You grimaced. “At home… on my warm bed.” 
 
In one swift moment, Jinyoung took off his sweater and handed it to you. You looked up in surprise.
 
“Here,” he smiled.
 
You looked at him as if he was crazy. “Are you serious? You’re only wearing a thin long sleeve underneath.”
 
Jinyoung shrugged. “Men adjust to the cold easily.”
 
“You’re going to get sick,” you pointed out.
 
*For you, I’m willing.* Jinyoung pushed the sweater into your hands.
 
You sighed and put it over. In all honestly, his action made you melt. Slightly.
 
“So what do you like the best ~~~~~~-ah?” Jinyoung persisted.
 
You smiled, “my appa.” 
 
Jinyoung nodded in understanding. 
 
“What do you like the best Jinyoung?” You wondered.
 
Before he could answer, the bus came. It was so full that only one person can go on. Jinyoung urged you on.
 
You shook your head. “I’ll just wait for the next bus.”
 
Jinyoung shook his head. “Go on!”
 
“No!” You blurted.
 
“Sorry, but can we please hurry?” asked the impatient bus driver. 
 
Jinyoung pushed you on the bus. “She’ll go on, thank you, sir!”
 
Before you could stop, the door closed and the bus went off. Jinyoung waved.
 
You scowled and stared at him in disbelief. 
 
Jinyoung smiled softly. Though he was cold, and alone. The image of you wearing his sweater made him feel warm. You had something that belonged to him.
 
*~~~~~, what I like the best is you. I like you the best.* Jinyoung smiled as he ruffled his hair.