24

My Strange Oppa

 

 
When you woke up, the house was empty.
 
There was no sign of your Dad’s presence. 
 
You used to love going home because you felt this warmth that shrouded you like a blanket. The house always felt bright and safe, but now, every thing felt empty and cold.
 
This was the first time since you’ve been born that you can’t recall spending your Dad’s birthday with him. 
 
Even though he wasn’t with you today, there was somewhere that you still had to go. 
 
*I can only hope that appa finds time to go today.* You thought wistfully before going back to your room. 
 
---
 
All the boys were at Baros house getting ready for the ball. His room was tight and small, and the boys bumped into each other quite often as they went back and forth from his room to the bathroom.
 
“Eh?” Baro scratched his head in confusion. 
 
Jinyoung smiled as he put on his silver tie. 
 
“Tell me why are you getting dressed up as if you’re going to the ball?” Baro demanded to know as he put his grey dressed pants. 
 
Sandeul was polishing his black dress shoes as he looked up. “Hyung, are you going on a date?”
 
“A date? No.” Jinyoung smiled sheepishly as he put on the black vest over his black dressed shirt. 
 
Jinyoung smiled at himself proudly in the mirror. He was wearing all black except for shiny, silver tie sticking out evidently. 
 
CNU was fixing his hair as he looked back. A small smile crept up on his lips. He knew what Jinyoung was up to.
 
Jinyoung gave him a wink and went to fix his hair. 
 
Gongchan walked past him and his eyes bugged out. *Hyung has something up his sleeve. He’s never looked THIS good.* 
 
Jinyoung beamed at him happily. “Excited?”
 
“Not really,” Gongchan scrutinized Jinyoung with his eyes. *This hyung has suspicious.* 
 
---
 
All of the boys waved to Jinyoung as they left the other direction towards the school. CNU was the last to leave.
 
“Are you sure about this?” CNU asked.
 
Jinyoung nodded. “I’m confident!”
 
“Won’t she be creeped out?” CNU eyed him.
 
“Maybe… maybe…” Jinyoung started smiling to himself. Millions of thoughts exploded inside his head, and before he knew it, giggles spurted it out.
 
“I don’t like that smile on your face right now, Jung Jinyoung.” CNU sighed, squeezed his shoulder and left. 
 
---
 
You put on your wool coat, and white scarf. This was a lonely Christmas eve, but you knew soon, you won’t be alone.
 
You locked the door and headed a different direction then usual. 
 
The cold winds made your nose runny and red. Today felt different, unlike the rest.
 
You could only smirk to yourself in disappointment. *It’s because Appa’s not here.*
 
You went to the floral shop, the one that you and Appa always went to. 
 
“Oh! ~~~~~! Happy Christmas eve,” welcomed the ahjumma.
 
You smiled, “happy Christmas eve ahjumma!”
 
She came around her desk and stepped towards you. She looked around in confusion. “Where’s your Appa ~~~~~-ah? What a rare occasion to see you alone!” 
 
Immediately, your smile vanished. “Appa is very busy this year with work.”
 
She nodded. “The same as every year?”
 
You nodded. “Yes, please.”
 
The ahjumma quickly went to work. She wrapped the 25 roses. By the time she was done, she handed the bouquet to you proudly.
 
You handed her the money. “Thank you ahjumma, have a great Christmas eve!”
 
She nodded. “Live well, ~~~~~.”
 
You headed out the door and continued on. The lonely feeling resurfaced. 
 
*UGH! I hate feeling like this!!* You began to angrily stomp faster. Every thought in your mind began to irritate you. The thought that your Dad abandoned you, the thought that you were friends with Queenka’s who treat you like dirt, the thoughts that you haven’t finished your homework yet, and the thought that you missed the ball.
 
One bad trait about you was that, no matter how nice and angelic you appeared, you were quick to anger. That was something… you got from your Mother. Sighing, your bad thoughts instantly disappeared. You softened and held the roses closer to you. 
 
Suddenly, an image of Jinyoung appeared! His breathtaking smile that you haven’t seen in so long. Nostalgia filled your heart.
 
*EH?* Your eyes widened. You shook your head and patted it in frustration. 
 
Before you knew it, you were already where you wanted to be.
 
Taking a deep breath, you began walking through the cemetery.
 
The remarkable white marble tombstone still shined brilliantly. The sun was setting, but you could spot it from a mile awhile.
 
You bent down and laid the bouquet in front of the tombstone. 
 
“Umma,” your voiced cracked. You cleared it. “Umma, it’s been awhile hasn’t it?” You chuckled. “A year. But appa and I promised that we’d visit you every year, right? How are you doing?” You smiled and wiped the dust off the tombstone.
 
“Appa isn’t here today, but I am.” A hole began to appear in your heart. The realization that he wasn’t here when he should be hurt more than you expected. You began to frown. As hard you tried, you couldn’t push back the tears. “Appa has been busy, and I haven’t been a great daughter.”
 
“I am selfish, umma. Please forgive me. I want appa to be appa again, and it hurts, because it feels like he’s abandoning me.” You wiped the tears from your eyes. “I want him to quit… am I so bad?”
 
You tried to breathe, but it was getting harder. “I wish you were still here. At least I’d still have you, right, umma?” Your sobs came more frequent.
 
“Umma, I’m sorry. I can’t give you a loving speech. I just miss you so much, and appa.” You cried. You bent your head down and wrapped your arms around it. You didn’t care if it was dirty.
 
It just felt like things were falling apart and that you were alone. 
 
You sobbed even louder now. 
 
Someone placed a hand on your back.
 
You stopped crying, hope rose in your chest. *Appa?*
 
“Uljima,” said the gentle voice. 
 
You froze in place.
 
“She wouldn’t want to see you like this.” 
 
Slowly, you pulled back and looked up. Your eyes were wide and red with tears.
 
Without another word, Jinyong wrapped his arms around you.