14

My Strange Oppa

 

 
A few days passed since you and Jinyoung began visiting Mr. and Mrs. Kim at Seoul Elderly Residence. 
 
You didn’t realize how much yours and Jinyoung’s presence lit up their lonely, quiet life. 
 
You were eating in the dinner room of the Res when the couple revealed to you that their children lived in Canada. You were sitting beside Jinyoung while the couple sat across from you.
 
You were stunned and asked, “halmoni, why are you still here then? You would have a much better life in Canada.”
 
She gave you a warm, affectionate smile. “This is my home, and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.” She held onto her husbands hand as she gazed into his eyes. “As long as I have him, I will never be lonely.” 
 
Halpoji grinned. “Plus, Korean food is much more tasty here than in Canada.” He made a grimace. “I remember when we went to visit our grandchildren and our kids took us out to a restaurant… oh dear.” He shook his head in disappointment.
 
Jinyoung laughed. “Was it bad?”
 
Halpoji narrowed his eyes and nodded. “It was terrible.”
 
You couldn’t but giggle a long as well.
 
Jinyoung smiled. “But halmoni, halpoji… don’t you miss your kids?” 
 
The couple remained quiet for awhile. Halmoni nodded, “yes, we do. But they have their lives now, and we have ours. When we miss them a lot, we go on Skype. My daughter taught me how to use it.”
 
Halpoji laughed harmoniously. “God, technology has really changed! It took us nearly forever to figure out how to use it!” 
 
“No, dear,” Halmoni shook her head as she chuckled. “You took forever! This old man here was never really fond of anything technological.”
 
“Well call me old fashion,” Halpoji laughed with her as he held her hand tighter. 
 
You eyed the couple and warmth flooded your chest.
 
Jinyoung noticed you gazing at the couple and his heart fluttered ever so slightly.
 
When the food arrived, Jinyoung was surprised to find him self staring at delicious food. “WOAH!”
 
You jumped at his sudden outburst. You smacked his arm lightly. “Jinyoung, quiet please! We’re indoors.”
 
The couple who was used to it now, stared at Jinyoung.
 
“Is there something wrong?” asked Halpoji.
 
Jinyoung shook his head.
 
Halmoni stared at him, confused. “Then what is it.”
 
Jinyoung turn to you with twinkling eyes. “The food looks so delicious.”
 
You gave him a queer look. “It’s just rice with marinated beef… you’re acting like you never ate it before.”
 
He smiled and turned back to the elderly couple. “I’ll eat this well!” 
 
The couple laughed. Halmoni squeezed halpoji’s hand tightly. She whispered to him so quietly that you and Jinyoung couldn’t hear.
 
“They remind me of us, when we were courting,” she smiled.
 
Halpoji did a double take on you both. 
 
Jinyoung was talking to you with his mouth full.
 
You covered his mouth. “Jinyoung, close your mouth. Please. No one wants to see inside of it!” 
 
“Oppa. Call me oppa.” Jinyoung tried to correct you. The rice accidentally flew out his mouth and flew on you.
 
“Jinyoung!” You yelped as you rolled your eyes in frustration. You dusted the rice off your hair.
 
“Oh no!” Jinyoung eyes widen in fear. He was about to help but you put a finger up warning him with a death glare. ‘DON’T TOUCH ME’. He retreated his hand and stared at you apologetically. 
 
Halpoji smiled warmly and then turned to his wife. “They sure do. It’s like reliving the past; our past.” Halmoni smiled as the couples gazed at you both affectionately.