18

My Strange Oppa

 

 
You spent the whole day rethinking about what had happened on Friday. Your guilt was heavy and you wanted to apologize for reacting the way you did. 
 
You didn’t mean to become so irritable. It was just that… Jinyoung had a knack for making you lose your temper. His indifference and stubborn nature really gets to you.  Maybe because no one has ever really treated you the way he did.
 
At lunch, you saw him enter the cafeteria with his group of friends.
 
Jinyoung looked around, looking for somebody. He caught sight of you, his eyes rounded and then he quickly looked away. His cheeks flushed red in embarrassment. 
 
Kyungmi and the other girls were talking, but you weren’t listening. You were playing around with the apple in your hand. 
 
As his group of friends passed by your table, you could feel Jinyoung’s burning gaze on you. 
 
You looked up right when Jinyoung turned his head away. You shook your head. *Why does he keep looking away?!* 
 
“What’s up with you?” Hyunjung pointed out. She stared at you with judging eyes.
 
You put on a calm face and shrugged as you took a bite of your apple. 
 
“You know, you’ve changed.” Hwayoung pointed out as she curled her hair with her finger. 
 
You looked at her in confusion. 
 
Kyungmi leaned back in hair chair and crossed her arms. She was looking at her split ends, but you knew she was listening.
 
“What do you mean?” You urged her to continue.
 
Hwayoung looked confused. “I don’t know… you just seem different.”
 
You chuckled and shrugged it away. The girls went out for a smoke break. As always, you declined the offer to tag along. 
 
As they walked away, your eyes naturally wandered and locked eyes with Jinyoung. He was staring back at you. You gave him a sympathetic look. 
 
Hyunjung had turned around and noticed before she left. She smirked and nudged Hwayoung. They giggled and followed behind Kyungmi. 
 
You let out a sigh and looked away from his eyes. *I know I should apologize, but now doesn’t feel like the right time.* 
 
Jinyoung sighed also as you released him from your stare. *What was that about?* 
 
He had informed his friends what had happened.
 
“Hyung! You know girls like her don’t accept money just like that,” Sandeul shook his head in disappointment.
 
Jinyoung’s frown set deeper. It looked like it could have been plastered on permanently. 
 
Gongchan smacked his hyung’s head. Sandeul scowled.
 
“Don’t worry hyung, I saw the look she gave you, she probably feels bad.” Gongchan shared a light smile. 
 
Baro was stuffing his mouth with rice. “Heh, someone like her? She has better things to do than think about hyung.”
 
For a second Jinyoung felt hopeful, but then his shoulders deflated right after the comment.
 
Baro noticed and immediately said something else, “I’m just saying, hyung, you could do better.”
 
Sandeul gave him a look to shut up. CNU nudged Baro. 
 
Jinyoung grew irritated and shifted. He got up and slung his backpack on his shoulder.
 
“Where are you going?” CNU asked.
 
Jinyoung didn’t know where he was going. “Ditching.”
 
Gongchan’s eyes widened. “Are you crazy?”
 
“It’s just for one day,” Jinyoung sighed.
 
Gongchan looked at CNU. Seeing how hopeless Jinyoung looked, CNU nodded to let it just slide. 
 
When Jinyoung left, every one glowered at Baro. 
 
“You know how hyung feels about her,” Gongchan sighed. Baro bit his lip and grew guilty. 
 
“Hey, hey,” Sandeul defended Baro. “What he was trying to say was tha—”
 
Sandeul stopped midway when he saw you approaching their table.
 
You gave them a timid smile. “Mianhae, but I was wondering where is Jinyoung is going?”
 
Every one lost their voice at the moment.
 
Baro stared at you taking back every bad word he said about you. 
 
Sandeul was staring at you with wide-eyes. 
 
Gongchan spoke up. “Hyung wasn’t feeling well, he probably went home.”
 
You bit your lip guiltily. “Really?”
 
Gongchan nodded but noticed how uneasy you looked.
 
“If you leave now, you might catch up to him,” CNU added in.
 
Your eyes brightened up and you flashed the boys a breath taking smile. “Really? You think so?”
 
They all nodded, dazed.
 
“All right, thank you!” You beamed and waved as you ran off. 
 
“Wow,” Baro finally spoke. “She sure looks pretty up close.”
 
Sandeul nodded slowly. “So that’s why hyung looks her.” 
 
Gongchan rolled his eyes and smiled. “At least we know she cares.”
 
“How do you know that?” Sandeul asked.
 
“Babo hyung, if she didn’t, she wouldn’t have asked where he left to. And she definitely wouldn’t have ran after him.” Gongchan rolled his eyes.
 
CNU chuckled and patted Gongchan on the back. “Why can’t you hyungs be as observant as your maknae?” 
 
Baro and Sandeul scratched their heads as they stared at each other in confusion.