40

My Strange Oppa

 

 
Dinner was not as quiet and awkward as you expected.
 
Your father piled a lot of meat and vegetables onto your bowl as he spoke to you as if nothing has happened between you two.
 
“Eat a lot, araso ~~~~~?” He smiled affectionately at you as he ate a meat. His eyes sparkled, “it’s delicious.”
 
You eyed him warily as you ate.
 
“Oh, I also made soup!” He got up and went to the stove. He put the soup in two bowls; one for you, and one for him.
 
He set it in front of you as he sat down. “~~~~~, you should take care of yourself well. I came home and there was barely anything in the fridge, aigo! I almost had a heart attack.” He shook his head with a small smile.
 
You swallowed your rice and put your chopsticks down with a slam.
 
Your Dad jumped from the noise. His eyes were wide with surprise. “Is the soup too cold for you? Should I fetch more kimchi? Do you need more rice?”
 
You shook your head in disbelief as you narrowed your eyes at him. “Where have you been, appa? You’re acting all friendly now as if nothing happened between us.” 
 
He didn't say anything. Instead, he scarfed down his soup as if he didn't hear you. Once he was done, he grabbed a napkin and wiped his lips dry. 
 
You tapped your foot impatiently as you waited for his answer. You eyes scanned his face and body. He seemed to have come back much healthier than how you saw him awhile back.
 
His face was no longer gaunt and frail, and he gained back the fat in his cheeks. 
 
“I’ve been working, I told you. I had some personal things to deal with, but it’s all cleared up now.” He beamed at you as he got up and collected the dishes. “Are you done with your food?”
 
You lost your appetite and simply pushed your half-eaten bowl to him. *I missed your cooking appa, but… it’s just not the same.*
 
He began whistling as he walked to the kitchen with all the dirty dishes. 
 
After 2 months of absence, that’s all he had to say to? That he was busy, and that whatever problem he had gone through was now cleared up?
 
Not ready to give up, you crossed your arms and followed after him. “Appa, tell me the truth.”
 
“I did.” He sang.
 
You gritted your teeth in irritation. “You’re lying to me!” 
 
Your Dad turned back and gave you a stern look. “Why are you yelling ~~~~~? I’m your appa, you don’t trust me?”
 
You narrowed your eyes at him. “Appa, I was expecting an apology. I was expecting you to explain me why the hell have you disappeared and then returned so abruptly with a change of attitude.”
 
“I told you, I was busy, I had to get things cleared up, now that it is, I’m back.” You Dad repeated a little less patient this time. He turned around and smiled at you. “I’m sorry, I’ll owe you back your money, okay? Trust me, okay?”
 
You could hear the vacancy and lack of promise in his voice. You shook your head, clenching your fists so tightly that it felt like your nails could cut through your skin. 
 
“I’m sorry, I can’t.” You mumbled. Your once tight knit relationship with your father was broken in half by his lack of trust and communication to you. 
 
*I don’t know what he’s hiding but I don’t want to know.* You resentfully turned your back on him and trudge to your room. 
 
Once you were out of sight, your father wiped his hands on his apron as he leaned against the counter. He rubbed his forehead in frustration, all the sadness sinking back to his face. “Mianhae ~~~~~~-ah, you have to forgive me….” He whispered secretively.