41

My Strange Oppa

 

 
After showering and getting ready, you ran downstairs and expected your father to be gone, but to your surprise, he was in the kitchen sipping his cup of coffee with one hand while the other hand occupied the daily newspaper.
 
You warily stepped in as you grabbed an apple from the fridge.
 
You didn’t bother to say good morning.
 
You took a bite of your apple and headed to the door.
 
“What? No good morning?” You heard your father joke in the kitchen.
 
You rolled your eyes as you slipped on your shoes. You opened the door, but his voice made you pause.
 
“~~~~~~,” he sighed as he stepped out the kitchen. “Can we talk?”
 
You crossed you arms as you raised your eyebrow. “Oh, so now you want to talk?” You shook your head in dismay.
 
Your Dad pressed his lips in a firm line. “Close the door.”
 
As you were about to close it, you heard someone else call your name.
 
Your eyes automatically flickered outside. You saw Jinyoung waving to you ecstatically. At that precise moment, your face lit up. You waved to him and put your index finger out, “Wait for me, I need to do something.”
 
Jinyoung grinned at you as he nodded. “Araso! Don’t be such a slow poke.”
 
You smiled and closed the door.
 
Your father was looking out the curtains as he stared at Jinyoung. 
 
Your face changed as you took another bite of your apple. You cleared your throat, “ahem.”
 
With an unreadable expression, your father turned back to you. “Who is that?”
 
“My friend.” You replied simply. 
 
“But your eyes are telling me something otherwise.” Your father stated.
 
You narrowed your eyes at him and stopped chewing. “You wouldn’t know what I have been through since you’ve been gone so don’t say anything. I don’t want to talk about me.”
 
Your father’s eyes widened by the change in your attitude towards him. “What happened to my sweet daughter ~~~~~~ who put me before everything else?”
 
You almost choked on your apple. You gave your Dad a disappointed look. “What happened to the father who never kept secrets from me?”
 
You got a point. Your father shut up as he collected his train of thoughts. 
 
“I want to tell you, but I can’t, it’s not that easy.” Your father sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose.
 
“Then what is the point of talking to me?” You bluntly asked. “Forget it. I don’t want to know. I seriously don’t.” As you opened the door, your father strode towards you and slammed the door shut. 
 
“~~~~~~. We’re moving.” He looked into your eyes.
 
Your eyes rounded as you dropped your apple. “Mwoh?”
 
“We’re moving,” he tried to smile. “You always wanted to live in America, right? Let’s move there.”
 
The first thing you thought about was Jinyoung, the second was halmoni and halpoji and then third was school.
 
“Where is this coming from?” You asked suspiciously.
 
He gave you a big grin. “I’ve been working hard for us and you always told me you wanted to go to Harvard.”
 
You flexed your jaw. “No, I’m not going anywhere.”
 
Your father gawked at you. 
 
“You go.” You rolled your eyes, though your heart grew heavy with the thought of him leaving you alone again. 
 
“~~~~~, think about it.” Your father grabbed your wrist tightly.
 
You shook him off, but his grip was tight and firm. “Think about it, araso? I did this for us.”
 
You looked into his eyes and you saw the sincerity in them. *But… I don’t want to leave Jinyoung.* “I-I can’t. Appa, I just can’t.” 
 
“Sang ~~~~~.” Your father said more sternly now. “I am your father, and you have to listen to what I say. I have been patient with you, I really have. I have already bought our tickets, we’re moving to America.”
 
You looked at him as if he was crazy. Nothing registered in your mind at this point except the unreasonable dislike you were growing for your father. “THAT’S NOT FAIR!” You shouted.
 
Your father let go of your wrist and walked away, “Life’s not fair.”
 
“APPA!” You screamed, but he ignored you and went up stairs. You stomped your foot angrily, repressing the tears from coming out. *So now he decides to act like a father? Don’t make me laugh.* You fanned yourself as you exhaled out the vexation. 
 
When you knew you were calm, you walked out of the door. 
 
Jinyoung was sitting on your porch as he was looking out in the distant. A rush of emotions ran to you, and you quickly ran to him and wrapped your arms around him from behind. 
 
Jinyoung turned pink. “What is this for?”
 
You rested your chin on his shoulder as you closed your eyes. “A morning hug before school starts.” Your voice trembled slightly.
 
Jinyoung noticed it and turned to you with concern. “You okay?”
 
You nodded onto his shoulder. With a light sigh, you pulled away. You jumped off your porch and held your hands out.
 
Still tense with your unusual behaviour, Jinyoung just slipped his hands into yours. You gave him a sweet smile and pulled him along.
 
“You’re really okay?” Jinyoung asked.
 
You nodded as you began swinging your laced hands. “I am.” *Because I’m with you, Jinyoung oppa. I will not leave you, I promise.*