27

My Strange Oppa

 

 
You were walking down the neighbourhood as you wiped away your tears. 
 
You were angry, angrier than you’ve ever been in your life. 
 
You were slightly appalled by your father’s actions as well, but you had a knack for crying when you were angry which earned you the title as the cry baby from your Dad. You were in your sweats, and trudging through the snow didn’t feel as cold as it should. Nothing felt colder than the lonely presence of misery your father left you. 
 
“Stupid appa, stupid! Doesn’t even realize how hurtful his words are. I just wanted to know what’s wrong, is it so bad?!” You sniffled and kicked the back wall of a nearby store angrily. 
 
Accidentally, you stubbed your toe which made you cry out in pain. 
 
Crouching down holding onto your toe, more tears spurted out from your eyes. The tears weren’t pain from your hurt toe, but because of the rip in your heart from your Dad’s words.
 
He has never, ever said anything so hurtful to you. And the maliciousness in his voice... it cut you like a knife. 
 
You didn’t realize how loud your sobs were when you felt a shadow lingering behind you. 
 
You looked back, and to your surprise it was one of Jinyoung’s friends.
 
He stared at you with his mysterious, wide eyes. He had his hands in his pockets as he gazed at you. “~~~~~ Noona? Are you okay?” he asked in concern.
 
You quickly got up and nodded. You wiped away your tears and walked away but you felt his hand on your arm. You inhaled deeply and turned back.
 
He held something out.
 
It was a handkerchief. 
 
“Take it,” he offered with a small smile. 
 
You bit back your quivering lips. How could he be so kind to a person like you? He gave his head a tiny nod as an encouragement. You sighed and took it shyly. You knew his name, in fact, you knew all their names. You just didn’t know that he was a dongsaeng. He didn’t look his age at all. “Thank you, Gongchan.” 
 
His eyes widened but then slowly, he smiled. “Jinyoung wouldn’t like it if he knew I saw noona and just left you here crying.” 
 
You patted the tears away from your eyes. You could imagine Jinyoung’s worried face in your mind. His lips would jut out a bit as he scowled at you.
 
That only sent another round of tears, and you didn’t even know why. 
 
Gongchan’s eyes widened. “Oh god, did I say something upsetting?!” 
 
You shook your head. You haven’t seen Jinyoung for a week, and the strange thing was that… you actually missed him.
 
It was silent between you and Gongchan.
 
When you finally calmed down, you looked at Gongchan. “Thanks for this handkerchief. I’ll wash it.”
 
Gongchan shook his hands out. “Keep it. When you want to cry again, just use that instead of your hands.” 
 
You nodded. “How can you tell it was me?” 
 
Gongchan shrugged as he put his hands back in his pockets. White wisps of air came out as he talked. “I had a feeling. I heard your whimpers and I just decided to check it out. Thank god it was you, because if it was someone else…” Gongchan sighed and shivered of the possibilities.
 
You cracked a small smile. Your frown disappearing slowly.
 
“Noona, why are you out here crying by yourself late at night on New Years Eve? You knew how dangerous it is? There a lot of drunken old men that could hurt you.” Gongchan stated out. 
 
*Is he really my dongsaeng? Gosh, Jinyoung should really be like him… Actually… I’m happy with how Jinyoung is.* You bit your lip harder and then said, “I just got into a fight with my Dad, that’s all.” 
 
Gongchan softened. “Is everything okay?”
 
You looked at him.
 
Gongchan’s eyes widened. “I’m sorry, if you don’t want to tell me.”
 
You smiled appreciatively. “Where were you heading?” 
 
“I was on my way to Jinyoung’s aunt’s restaurant. Would you like to come? I bet Jinyoung would love to see you.” The thought of it was warm and glowing but you shook your head.
 
“It’s late, I should head home.”
 
Gongchan frowned, “Alright, noona. Dress more warmly next time! And oh yeah, feel better! Happy new year!”
 
You shared a small smile and nodded. “You, too, Gongchan. Tell Jinyoung I said Happy New Years, too.”
 
Gongchan nodded and waved to you as he left. 
 
Your smile dropped when you turned the opposite direction. You stuffed your hands tightly in the pockets of your sweats as you trudged back home with a heavy heart.