15

My Strange Oppa

 

 
After spending time with the couple, you and Jinyoung were on your way home. 
 
It was Friday, so you won’t be seeing them AND Jinyoung until Monday.
 
You let out a sigh of relief knowing that you have accomplished a week with them, most importantly, a week with Jinyoung. 
 
Your earplugs were in your ears while you listened intently into your music. Fortunately for Jinyoung, there were no empty lone seats so you both had to sit on the 2 person seats. 
 
He sat next to you and occasionally stole glances your way.
 
You tried to ignore him but it didn’t work. Every time he would look at you, his smile appears to grow wider and wider. 
 
Jinyoung surprised you when he pulled off one of your earplugs and plugged it into his ear. “What are you listening to?”
 
You growled at him but being the nice person that you were, you didn’t pull it out. 
 
“It’s Love me by Yiruma.” You said. 
 
Jinyoung nodded along to the gentle rhythm and pretended that there was a piano in front of him. He started to play air piano. “It’s relaxing, I like it.”
 
Just this once, you let out a genuine smile. *That’s cute.* Your eyes widened. *Did I just think that? Grosss!* You shook your head and tapped it lightly. 
 
Jinyoung looked at you, bewildered. “Gwenchana?”
 
*Never will I have such thoughts again.* You narrowed your eyes and examined him. Slowly, you nodded your head. “Yeah… just tired. I guess.”
 
*Why is she looking at me like that?* He narrowed his eyes at you, too. “I can do that, too. Hmph!”
 
Your face twisted up a bit and then you let out a giggle. 
 
As you both got off the final bus, you were about to head your direction when Jinyoung stopped you. 
 
“Hey ~~~~~!” 
 
You stopped and then turned your head a bit to look at him. 
 
He walked up to you and rubbed the back of his head nervously. “I know we haven’t been on great terms.” *Because I’m just so nervous every time I’m around you that I turn into a babo….* “But I was thinking of a million ways to think of what to say or how I’m going to give this back to you…”
 
Your head tilted in confusion. “What are you talking about?”
 
Jinyoung took the envelope from his sweater pocket and put it in front of your face. “I was serious when I said I didn’t want this back. It’s your money now.”
 
All of the decency you had for him vanished in a blink. Your face scrunched up. “Jinyoung, I don’t want your money. My uniform is fine; I don’t know why you’re making such a big deal out of it.”
 
Jinyoung was not prepared to give up. “I earned this specifically for you and I have no use for it.”
 
You snorted as you crossed your arms. “It’s money; of course you have use for it. Buy yourself something nice. I have my own money, I don’t need yours.” 
 
“~~~~… please,” he begged. This time, with no aegyo, but with his earnest sympathy. 
 
You looked him in the eyes. You didn’t understand why on earth he was being so stubborn. 
 
“I’m not a charity case; I don’t need your money.” You stated coldly. 
 
“Please, please! Just accept so my heart doesn’t have to feel so heavy,” Jinyoung frowned. 
 
Seeing that you were silent, Jinyoung took the opportunity to put the envelope in your jacket pocket.
 
You look down at him without sympathy now. *He’s annoying with his aegyo, obnoxious whenever he speaks or eats, and he’s stubborn when he doesn’t get his way!* The thought of that really set you off.
 
You knew Jinyoung was being sincere, but when it came down to money, you took that subject very seriously. When you say you didn’t need someone’s money, you definitely did not need it.
 
“Jinyoung,” you said without looking at him. “Take that envelope out of my jacket pocket and take it back in 3 seconds. If you do not do as I tell you, you will regret it.”
 
Jinyoung smiled and shook his head. “It’s yours.”
 
He turned to walk away.
 
“One,” you began, bluntly.
 
He continued walking.
 
Your head snapped up as you clenched your teeth. “Two.” 
 
He was still walking.
 
“JINYOUNG!” You growled his name in anger and impatience. You gave up counting and stood there angrily. 
 
He turned around.
 
This time you walked up to him, slightly angrier than you should have been. You ruthlessly whipped the envelope out and threw it at him with your eyes slightly b with tears.
 
The envelope fell onto the dirty, cold pavement.
 
Jinyoung’s eyes widened. 
 
“I have never met anyone more stubborn than you!” You cursed. “When I said I did not want it, I meant it. I don’t need it!” You hissed at him. Without a second thought, you whirled around and walked away before he could catch up.
 
Jinyoung was frozen in place, as if he was made of ice. 
 
His shoulder sagged even lower as his heart tore inside of him. Your eyes that were b with tears plagued him as guilt seized over him. He bent down and picked up the envelope. *So am I just like this envelope to you? So easy to throw away even when it can be worth so much?*