23

My Strange Oppa

 

 
You were still up. To be frank, you were up because you couldn’t sleep. You couldn’t sleep because your father hasn’t been home for the past 2 days. 
 
You tried calling his cell phone but he wouldn’t pick up. You texted him but he didn’t reply. You tried calling his friends, but they only replied with: ‘sorry ~~~~~, I don’t know where he is.’ 
 
This was the longest he has been gone without calling home. His birthday was tomorrow, and your heart was growing heavy with worry. 
 
As you paced back and forth in your house, you fumbled around with your fingers, unconsciously picking at the skin on the outer edge of your nails. 
 
You to the T.V as a distraction. You were staring at the screen, but your attention lingered about his whereabouts. Your eyes grew heavy as you rubbed them tiredly. When the clock ticked 2, you knew it was time to sleep.
 
Disappointed, you turned the T.V off and headed upstairs.
 
Just then, the door opened. Your head snapped back at the open door. You ran downstairs and saw your father coming in.
 
He was still in his mid 30’s, and yet, the 2 days he has been gone has taken away his youth.
 
“Appa!” You scowled with crossed arms but realizing it was his birthday, you ran to him and hugged his neck. “ HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Where have you been?!” 
 
Your father lightly pushed you away and muttered, “shouldn’t you be sleeping?” He went into the kitchen and grabbed a cold water bottle from the fridge.
 
Your face fell with his lack of enthusiasm. “I was waiting for you, appa. Where have you been?”
 
“I’ve been busy with work and errands.” Your father sat down on the kitchen table and put his face in his palms.
 
Worried, you sat next to him. “Appa, are you okay?”
 
“Yeah.” He replied.
 
Silent.
 
“Is something wrong?” You patted his back.
 
He shook his head. 
 
Sighing, you tried to change the subject. “Appa, what do you want to do today? I have so many ideas. You’re 36! Let’s do something wild, maybe ice skating. You don’t know how but I do—”
 
“~~~~, not this year. Spend the day with your friends or something.” Your father interrupted you.
 
Your eyes went wide with pain. “But, appa… I always spend this day with you.”
 
Your father looked up and stared at you apologetically. “Sorry princess, I’m just really busy these days I can’t afford to miss any days off.”
 
You clenched your hands into a fist as your eyes grew wet. “Appa, it’s your birthday. One day off isn’t so—”
 
“I said no ~~~~~,” he started to sound irritated.
 
You frowned. “How about the next day?”
 
“I don’t think so,” he took another gulp of water. Your throat tightened as you saw pale, and thin his skin looked. He looked so fragile.
 
“Appa! Just please once listen to me. You look so sick and tired, just rest at least, hm? Stay home and—”
 
Your father rolled his eyes and shook his head, “god! You don’t even understand. I’m trying to work for the both of us. Be grateful, araso? I’m heading to bed, remember to close the lights!”
 
He walked up the stairs without a goodnight.
 
You sat there, completely stunned. Your father has never ever acted that way towards you before. 
 
Tear drops fell from your eyes. As you finally released your breath, you got up and turned off the lights. You lightly wiped away the tears from your eyes. Before you went into your room, you looked at your Dad’s door.
 
You quietly opened his door. You found your Dad already fast asleep on his bed. You sniffled as you put his blanket over him. You patted away his bangs and kissed his forehead. Without noticing, your tear drop fell onto his forehead. 
 
“Happy birthday, again. I love you, appa,” you whispered dejectedly before you left. 
 
When the door closed, your Dad re-opened his eyes. Wiping away the tear from his forehead, he let out a painful heartbroken sigh.