26

My Strange Oppa

 

 
It wasn’t until the very last days of the holidays ended when your father finally returned home. Today was New Years Eve.
 
You were in the living room eating when he arrived home.
 
Your eyes rounded more by the second as you noticed his rushed actions.
 
He had burst though the door without a greeting. He had taken out his phone and ran upstairs to his room. You heard a lock from his door.
 
You wanted to talk to him, but anger was evident on your face as you stripped your attention away from him. 
 
He had left one phone call, and stated that he wasn’t going to be returning home until today.
 
You wanted to talk to him, but instead you stuffed the rice inside your mouth bitterly. Your cheeks grew bigger and bigger as you stuffed your mouth. You had inherited the stubbornness from his side.
 
You could hear his muffled voice from the thin walls of your house.
 
Finally, you finished and put your bowl and went into the kitchen to wash it. Your father went up, and down the stairs. He looked like he was panicking.  You stared at him in disbelief. 
 
You could sense something was wrong but decided not to say anything, until he does. You began walking out of the kitchen when he approached you.
 
“~~~~~,” Your father touched your shoulder.
 
You rolled your eyes and crossed your arms. “What?” You didn’t turn back.
 
He forced you to turn around and look at him. “I want you to be the patient daughter that I love and I want you to listen to me very carefully. I need a favour.”
 
There was something in the way he spoke to you, that made you incredibly frightened. Your father had dark shadows under his eyes and his face was rough and pale.
 
You nodded without hesitation. 
 
“I need to borrow some money,” his eyes rounded with plea.
 
Your eyebrows furrowed in concern. “What about your job? Don’t they pay you enough?” 
 
He shook his head. “It’s not enough.”
 
“What do… what do you mean? You have been working overtime.” You pointed out incredulously. 
 
“Please, I just… I need it! I’ll owe you back.” Your father promised you.
 
You rolled your eyes and let out a heavy sigh. “You don’t need to owe me back, what’s mine is yours. But before you take it, please tell me why you need it?”
 
Your father swallowed hard. Guilt shrouded his presence.
 
He softly released you and looked up with hard eyes. “I’m your father; I don’t need you to question what I do. Just give me money when I ask you for it, got it?”
 
You staggered back a bit from the defence in his tone. Your eyes welled up with tears as you clenched your fists. “Appa, why are you like this?! What the hell has happened to you?” You rarely lost your cool with him, however with the recent events, all your bottled up emotions were finally coming out. 
 
His eyes were downcast, looking emptier than ever. 
 
“What happened to the father that loved me? I spend all year, waiting for the holidays. Do you know that?” You tried blinking back the tears forming in your eyes. “The holidays are where I am finally with you, and that’s when it feels like we’re finally reunited with Umma. But where have you been lately? Definitely not here!” 
 
Your father taunted his jaw and put his hands in his pockets. “I told you. I thought you would understand. I am very busy with my life right now!”
 
“I thought I was your main priority,” you whispered, slightly hurt. 
 
He didn’t say anything. 
 
“Appa, please. I don’t care if I’m no longer your first priority; at least take care of yourself!” You gestured to his whole figure. He was different and much frailer then the week before. 
 
Your father growled in impatience. “I needed money and you’re all I have left. The money that was left by your mother for you, lend it to me. That’s all I wanted to ask from you! I didn’t come down here to pick a fight about what I care about what and how I should take care of myself, araso?!!” He sighed and closed his eyes clutching on the bridge of his nose. “So annoying.”
 
Hurt, your tears spilled down your face. “Take the money, I don’t need it! Take all of it! But remember what you just said to me appa. Remember it! I hate you, I hate you so much!”
 
Without a second thought, you ran out the door.