19

My Strange Oppa

 

 
There was no sign of Jinyoung.
 
Normally you wouldn’t ditch school just like that, but you had a feeling in your chest that drove you to search for him.
 
Contrary to the cold night that you endured a few nights ago, today was bright and sunny. There was a light breeze that flew amongst the trees as the leaves swayed gently. 
 
As you walked off school grounds, you were passing by the gates when there was a shadow of a body underneath a tree. 
 
You narrowed your eyes, and your mouth widened. 
 
You walked to the figure and put your hands on your hips as you peered down.
 
All of Jinyoung’s childish and obnoxious trait disappeared. He was laying down with his head on top of his backpack with his hands clasped on his stomach. He looked so peaceful. 
 
You couldn’t help but smile. Softly and quietly, you sat down right next to him. 
 
*I never noticed how handsome he was.* You bit your lip and peered at him closer.
 
The bell rang loudly, indicating for the students to head back to class. You watched as all the students began to disappear back into school.
 
Your attention was brought back to Jinyoung when he began to mumble something incoherent. You leaned in and listened more carefully. 
 
“I’m really, really… so really sorry…. ~~~~~~” he mumbled.
 
Your eyes widened when you heard him say out your name. You looked at him in curiosity. *Do I mean that much to you that my actions bother you?*
 
His eyebrows began to crease together. 
 
You giggled and gently lifted up your finger. You smoothed out the crease, without realizing, you were smiling. 
 
Jinyoung’s eyes fluttered open by the touch.
 
You quickly brought your hands back and stared at him.
 
Jinyoung gasped when he realized it was you. “~~~~~~!” He sat up, ruffling his hair. 
 
Your cheeks flushed red. 
 
Jinyoung rubbed his eyes and yawned. “What are you doing here?”
 
You looked away and made a face. 
 
He eyed you in confusion, but you didn’t speak. For the first time in your life, you felt tongue tied. You knew why you were here, but you couldn’t bring yourself to apologize. 
 
It was awkward and silent. 
 
You sighed and finally got up. You patted the grass from your dress.
 
Jinyoung’s shoulders shrunk down. *Thought she would say sorry.* 
 
“Jinyoung, get up,” you ordered. 
 
“Mwoh?” Jinyoung’s head snap up.
 
“Please get up,” you sighed and took out your hand. 
 
Surprise by your action, Jinyoung timidly took your hand as you raised him up. 
 
Jinyoung was a head taller than you, something you never realized.
 
You picked up his backpack and handed it to him. Still confused, Jinyoung took his backpack and thanked you.
 
“Jinyoung-ah,” you finally said.
 
Jinyoung put his hands in his pocket and stared at you. 
 
“I’m really sorry… about Friday. I know my behaviour was inexcusable.” You sighed and looked up at him with apologetic eyes. “I’m not normally that fussy. But I hope you realize that to me money is not something that I would go easily giving away. Please understand when I say I don’t want it. I’m sorry.”
 
Jinyoung looked into your sincere eyes. Something about it made him feel bad for forcing it on you. He shook his head and smiled that stupid smile that you hated. “No, it’s my fault. I guess I was expecting you to be like this other girls and to accept it easily.”
 
Your face scrunched up at the mention of ‘like other girls’. 
 
Jinyoung noticed and continued. “But you’re not like other girls, and that’s what makes you so special and different.”
 
You didn’t expect him to say what he did. Without realizing, a little piece of your heart has slowly grown fond of him. You smiled and nodded. “Thank you, Jinyoung. But in all honestly, I really am sorry.”
 
“I accept your apology.” Jinyoung gave you a crooked grin and dishevelled your hair. He patted the dust off his pants. “Are you ditching class?”
 
You nodded. *This is my first time ditching… and I can’t believe it’s for him.*
 
“Let’s go visit halmoni and halboji!” Jinyoung beamed.
 
You were delighted with the idea and agreed. 
 
“You know, I’m still waiting for you to call me oppa,” Jinyoung winked.
 
You made a disgusted face at him. “Keep waiting.”