51

My Strange Oppa

 

 
You knew that your time was getting more and more limited.
 
You made sure to spend each and every moment you could with Jinyoung.
 
There was a week left of exams.
 
That meant you had only a week left with him.
 
Each time you came close to telling him, Jinyoung would say something that would instantly make you melt, preventing yourself from telling him. 
 
Today you and Jinyoung decided to have a surprise visit to halboji and halmoni. 
 
The bus was cramped with people. Lucky for you and Jinyoung, you both got seats. 
 
“Darn, we should have gotten them something.” You frowned as you looked at Jinyoung.
 
His arms were around your shoulder as he looked at you with his handsome smile. “I think bringing us today would be just fine.”
 
You smiled as you rested your head onto his broad shoulder. “Oh darling, have you been working out because I could feel those muscles forming!”
 
Jinyoung laughed. “Really?! Thanks for checking me out, I totally have been working hard on these babies.”
 
Everything about your relationship with Jinyoung was so carefree, it made it impossible to ever get mad at him. (Anymore.) 
 
Suddenly the bus stopped. There was a lady with a big round belly coming on. Every one looked uncomfortable as she made her way.
 
You looked up and felt bad.
 
As if Jinyoung could read your mind, he unravelled his arm from you and got up. He smiled at the pregnant woman, “Here you are ma’am.”
 
The pregnant woman looked stunned but quickly recovered. “Kamsahmnida, you are very kind.”
 
Jinyoung beamed at you. You gave thumbs up as you mouthed, ‘that’s my boyfriend.’
 
Hopping off the bus, you and Jinyoung walked to the hospital hand in hand. 
 
“Maybe halboji will be fine enough to go out for awhile.” Jinyoung said hopefully.
 
But for some reason, the moment you stepped into the hospital, your gut told you something would be wrong, terribly wrong.
 
When you opened halboji’s door, Jinyoung jumped in and squealed, “surprise!”
 
The room was bright as ever, but something was wrong, halboji wasn’t in his bed.
 
“Halmoni?” You said as you saw her back towards you both.
 
She was sobbing quietly.
 
Immediately, you and Jinyoung rushed over to her side.
 
You both knelt in front of her as both your eyes were wide as bowling balls.
 
“Halmoni?” You shook her gently. “Where’s halboji?”
 
Her tears broke your hearts. She slowly looked up to you and wiped them away. “His time is over.”
 
Both you and Jinyoung’s face fell. 
 
You have become so attached to halboji that the image of passing away hurt enough to make you both cry. 
 
“Halmoni, don’t cry.” Jinyoung got up and hugged her. “Halboji would have wanted you to stay strong, right?”
 
You wiped your own tears as you kept quiet. In situations like these, you felt pathetic and useless because you didn’t know how to help.
 
Halmoni nodded. “I loved him so much.”
 
“I know you did, and he loved you even more.” Jinyoung’s voice trembled slightly. “But don’t cry halmoni. It would break halboji’s heart to see you cry.”
 
You watched as Jinyoung soothed halmoni in his arms. *The day I have to leave you, will you be as brave as this Jinyoung?* 
 
You wiped your own tears as you got up and hugged halmoni. 
 
The silence in the room was thick as you three cried over the lost memories of halboji. 
 
No longer cheesy jokes from him, no more of his wheezing laugh, and the way he liked to teased you and Jinyoung.
 
After awhile, you and Jinyoung had to leave.
 
You offered to bus home with halmoni but she shook her head. 
 
“I just need some time to recollect… my thoughts.” She sighed. She gave you both a tight hug before you left.
 
The bus ride home was quiet. You just hugged Jinyoung close to your side. 
 
“Damn,” Jinyoung suddenly said as you neared your house.
 
You looked up at him curiosity. 
 
“I can’t imagine how halmoni feels right.” Jinyoung whispered. “Losing the love of your life….”
 
You stiffened. Nervously, you gnawed on your lips. 
 
Jinyoung looked at you with his eyebrows pinched together. “I’m so glad I still have a very long time with you. I can’t imagine my life without you.” He kissed your temple softly and shook the thought away. 
 
You looked at him, the rim of your eyes growing wetter. *Please forgive me when I do…*