7

My Strange Oppa

 

 
You were lying on your bed, with your laptop on your lap while doing your homework. It’s been 2 hours since you started but it felt like you weren’t going anywhere with your report. 
 
Suddenly, your phone rang. 
 
You picked it up on the first ring.
 
“Hello?” you answered.
 
“It’s Kyungmi,” she said.
 
You smiled. “Unnie! What’s up?” 
 
“Are you up for a party tonight?” she asked. 
 
Your smile dropped. “Mianhae, I have a huge report I have to work on....”
 
You could hear hisses on the other line. It was probably Hwayoung. Hyunjung is probably rolling her eyes this very moment. 
 
“Goddamnit ~~~~~,” Kyungmi growled on the other line. “You’re a freaking Queenka. How many times do we need to tell you? Someone can do your homework for you; you don’t need to do it on your own.”
 
“But… I like doing it on my own,” you insisted. “Just because I’m a Queenka doesn’t mean I have to pressure someone into do my work.”
 
Kyungmi kissed her teeth in irritation. “You won’t be a Queenka for long if you keep up with this act.” 
 
You fell silent. 
 
“The next time I call you up to go anywhere, you better ing come, got it?” Kyungmi said sternly. 
 
You nodded. “Yes unnie.” 
 
The other line went silent. 
 
You sighed and shut your phone off. 
 
“I don’t even think I want to keep the title of being a Queenka,” you mumbled, slightly frustrated. 
 
Suddenly you realized there was talking, and this time it wasn’t from you.
 
It was from the other room next to yours; your Dad’s. 
 
You looked at your watch. “He’s home early tonight…”
 
You gently put your laptop down and set it on the table. You listened to the conversation he was having on the other side of the wall.
 
It wasn’t just a normal conversation, it sounded oddly off. Your Dad didn’t have his normal, content, happy tone. He sounded annoyed, but at the same time it was if he was pleading. 
 
You pressed your ear against the thin wall and listened closer. 
 
But it was too late; all you heard was the goodbye’s and a click from his cell phone. 
 
You pulled away and pulled your knees up. You wrapped your arms around them and wondered what he was talking about. 
 
Knock, knock. 
 
“~~~~~?” Your Dad poked his head through the door.
 
You got up and smiled at him. “Hey, Appa. You’re home early tonight.”
 
He gave you a small smile. “Yeah, the factory closed early tonight. Are you hungry?”
 
You didn’t realize it until your stomach growled. “Yes, I am actually!” 
 
“Let’s go out and eat, it’s my treat!” He beamed. 
 
You laughed and shook your head. “Appa, we have food at home.” 
 
Your Dad shrugged. “I’m sooo soo hungry tonight, though.” He beckoned you over and you shook your head with a small. He beamed like a little child who was just rewarded with a scrumptious gift card to one of his favourite restaurants.
 
You giggled and looped your arms through his. “Pig.” 
 
“Well this pig raised you!” he laughed.
 
You and your father ended up going to a nearby restaurant, a few blocks from your house. 
 
“Appa, guess what happened today?” You said after he ordered food for you both.
 
His bright, young eyes gleamed with excitement. “What?” 
 
“I was chosen to be part of this program to take care of the Elderly,” you said while you took a sip from your cup of water.
 
His eyes widened in astonishment. “Daebak! That’s great!! Now when I grow old, you will know how to take care of me.”
 
You laughed. “That won’t be for a long time.” 
 
He chuckled but paused, noticing your reaction. “But it doesn’t seem like you want to do it?” 
 
“I didn’t at first. I mean, I have so much homework, and I want to work really hard for us,” You shrugged. “Appa lived a hard life; I just want to make him proud.” 
 
Your father softened. “~~~~~, live your life for you. Not for me.” 
 
“But Appa,” you frowned. “I want you to be proud of me.” 
 
“I’m always proud of you, no matter what you do. I’ll always be proud of you,” he reassured. “Your mother would be very proud of you as well.” 
 
Whenever he spoke about your mother, it became a very touchy subject. You took another sip of your water and nodded wordlessly. 
 
The food arrived. Ddukbokki, jajangmyun, and kimchi fried rice covered your whole table. 
 
Your eyes widened with hunger. “Appa, I’ll eat this well! Thank you.” You dug in not noticing how hard your father was watching you.  
 
Your father smiled softly. “Eat a lot ~~~~~.” His eyes saddened slightly as he watched you eat. *I’ve raised you so well.*