035

What's Your Secret?

 

 

 

“She starts working with you next Monday. Have you mentioned to her about the new security detail?” Wonho asked as he picked up a steak knife.

“She’s not going to like it.” Hyungwon mused over his pasta, Kihyun shook his head and leaned back on his seat.

“I did. She shrugged it off, but I have a feeling she’ll whine about it as soon as she realizes how many guards we’ve added.”

“We? It wasn’t us.” Wonho mused, Hyungwon chuckled at the older male.

“Changkyun mentioned something about the charity ball. It’s being held at a Jeon Banking Group owned hotel.”

“Really.” Hyungwon said, Kihyun pursed his lips before speaking.

“And it also happens that Kim Donghee’s renting one of the commercial spaces in it. So,” The Yoo heir murmured, Wonho paused in mid-chew.

“We need access to his computer. And, from what I’ve gathered, ever since the campaign season started, he’s been using the space as his personal office. Minhyuk checked, it is true.” Kihyun explained, Hyungwon tilted his head.

“The charity ball’s timing is perfect.” Wonho murmured.

“That’s something we are to discuss tonight.” Kihyun said, Hyungwon continued eating but, the older male spoke.

“So, Jungah told me something. Well, she was grumbling, and I overheard.” Wonho began as he began to meticulously slice his steak, Kihyun read the grin on his friend’s face.

“Let me guess, Wonwoo?”

“Did he cause her trouble again?” Hyungwon sighed.

“Nope.” Two Dots chuckled, Kihyun sighed and set his utensils down.

“He confessed.”

Hyungwon let out a hearty chuckle and continued eating.

“Doe your family approve of him?” Wonho queried, well, Jungah’s business was their business now.

“My mother does, halbae doesn’t.”

“Why? I thought the Yoo elders like him, wasn’t he..pre-approved or something?” Hyungwon continued on.

“Halbae…wants someone who can protect her, or..something like that.” Kihyun shrugged and picked up his fork, Wonho’s grin grew wider.

“I know a someone.” He suggested, then, their phones started ringing instantaneously.

 

 

 

“Okay, I love this.” Jungah mused to herself as she drummed her fingers on the R8’s wheel. She was already making the drive back towards the mansion-slash-secret mafia house, and Jungah was about to reach the highway in a few minutes.

She leisurely stepped on the gas as she reached the main road and smiled to herself, she hasn’t driven herself in a while. And the quiet of being alone made her relax a bit. All those car rides with her hyungnims were fun, they chatted with her as if they were buddies.

“Well, they are my new buddies.” She grinned to herself, then she paused, and there were rides with One Dot too. He may not be the most talkative one, but he always did listen to her and provided her with input when she had questions.

Son Hyunwoo was like that, the quiet and calm in the whirlwind that was the mafia family she was shoved in.

She chewed on her lower lip, things with him were a little complicated. Well, not for him, but for her. The guy made her jumpy, and it wasn’t just because of Haerin’s words.

“Mister Dark and Mysterious.” She spat and shook her head, Jungah glanced at the rearview mirror and paused. She did spot those three dark colored sedans from moments before, and now the other two were right behind her, while the other one was constantly switching lanes just to keep up.

Jungah grimaced, she checked the mirrors again while trying to take her phone from her purse. She was about to press One when the car behind her suddenly nudged her from behind, the girl froze.

Jungah swallowed as the car hit her again, with a lot more force this time. She pursed her lips and leaned back on her seat, before the sedan behind her could make another move, she shifted gears and stepped on the gas.

Her lips curled up as the R8 sped up, she noticed the traffic light was still red, she grinned as she floored the pedal and immediately switched lanes.

“Eight minutes.” She mumbled to herself as she glanced at the car’s infotainment screen, she wanted to call someone but her phone slid from her hand earlier and she had no time to pull over to search for it. But surely, the house wasn’t empty.

Jungah reached the less busy part of the highway and checked the side-mirror, the cars were still at her tail. She exhaled and grimaced, she wasn’t going to get out of this one easily.

She waited for the vehicles to get closer to her, and closer. Jungah hit the brakes and the Audi spun around just as one of the sedans crashed against pedestrian sign. The other cars halted, people started screaming. Jungah put the car on reverse and drove away, she started to fumble on the car’s screen, trying to find a way to reach the house.

She was already two minutes away from the house when she heard it. A loud boom and a crack, the girl swallowed as she glanced behind her. A bullet was lodged on the glass window.

They were now shooting at her.

Jungah sped up, now hoping that police would notice her for over speeding and would join the chase. She was already nearing the gates and the two sedans had caught up, she checked the mirror again and noticed that one of the passengers were aiming a gun at her.

And then he fired, the window panel at the back shattered, Jungah bit down a scream just as she reached the gates.

She didn’t reduce her speed, knowing that it would automatically swing open once she was at a closer distance.

But they weren’t showing any signs of opening. She was now only a couple of meters away.

And from the rear-view mirror, she could see that the man was reloading his shotgun again.

 

 

 

“I already called the others, but Shownu hyung’s at a work meeting, he said to meet up at the house.” Changkyun said as he walked back towards the older males, Jooheon pursed his lips and nodded.

“What’s the damage?” Minhyuk asked one of their men, he took a quick glance at the warehouse before the male spoke.

“They weren’t able to get anything important but, sir,” The male paused, as if trying to choose his words. One of their main safe houses in Seoul had been ransacked, the alarms were activated and the trespassers had been caught, but it aggravated the three young masters.

“What is it?”

“They were in the process of..planting bombs when we managed to get into the building.”

Changkyun paused, his fingers hovering over the keyboard of his laptop, he was in the process of checking out surveillance footages.

“Bombs.” Jooheon repeated, he leaned against his car and shook his head.

“Send word to run checks around all our properties, and what about the men inside?” Minhyuk asked as he loosened his tie.

“We’ve secured them, sir. We have also ran checks at our other safe houses, they remain safe.”

“Let’s check~”

“Hyung,” Changkyun spoke, he turned the laptop’s screen towards the older males.

“Why is the house empty? The gates aren’t responding, the electric fence…something’s wrong with the house.” He blurted out, Minhyuk’s forehead creased.

“What do you mean?” Jooheon spoke, they heard hurried footsteps behind them.

“I tried checking the house, I’m assuming Jungah noona would be home by now~”

“I asked her guards to run checks for a while, she should be home by now.” Minhyuk pointed out, he walked towards the laptop and paused.

“What~”

“Sir! There’s been an incident!” One of their men spoke just as their phone all started to ring.

 

 

 

Jungah let out a shaky breath as she leaned against the marble steps behind her, she turned her palms towards her face and shuddered.

The house was empty, none of the guards were there and that scared her.

What if something had happened?

What if they were all hurt?

Her eyes went to the Audi before her, the hood was heavily dented, all thanks to gates that wouldn’t budge earlier. She had to ram the vehicle and hit it at full speed so that she’d get in the property. But her assailants didn’t stop there.

They chased her in.

Jungah tried to stand again, but her knees failed her. She needed to get her phone, she had to call someone. Anyone.

She heard a loud roar of an engine from not far, and she grimaced. She wasn’t armed, she had left them by the lake. The girl tensed as the car neared her, a black Urus came into view and she exhaled.

The driver’s door burst opened, and a familiar dark figure appeared. She felt relief wash over her as Shownu made his way towards the steps.

But the look on his face was far from relieved, he looked thunderous. Angry.

“Jungah.” He said as he reached her, the male leaned down and carefully pulled her up, she winced, her knees were still shaking.

“Oppa, I~” She paused, Shownu was studying her car, his jaw tightened.

“Are you okay? Are you hurt?” He faced her, he had one arm securing her in place while he reached for pant pocket.

“Y—Yes, oppa, I…didn’t know what to do, I wanted to call but,” She grimaced when his grip on her tightened, Jungah followed his gaze and realized he saw the bullet holes on the Audi’s body.

His eyes went to her, scanning her for any injuries.

“They were chasing me. But, I’m fine, oppa. Just..shaken.” She blurted out, Shownu let out a breath and he met her gaze.

“Jungah, I’m sorry.” He murmured before pulling the girl to his chest and wrapping both arms around her, Jungah’s forehead creased but she relaxed into his hug. She heard cars arriving, but the older male didn’t let go but she knew he was scanning the property.

“I’m so sorry.” Shownu softly said as he pressed his lips against the side of her head.

“What’s happening?” She recognized her cousin’s voice as several footsteps echoed around them.

Her hyungnims have finally arrived!

“Someone get her a towel.” Shownu barked, the girl paused, she had forgotten that she was soaked.

“Why is there blood in the car?” Wonho was rushing towards them, Shownu’s forehead creased, he turned to the girl in his arms.

“Jungah, we need to get you inside. Can you walk?” She heard Shownu speak again and then her world turned black.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++