038

What's Your Secret?

 

 

 

 

Jungah puffed her cheeks as she eyed the dress warily, no, it was a ball gown. She almost vomited in . She really shouldn’t have told her aunt that she needed help with what to wear to the charity gala.

“I should have shopped for myself.” She murmured to herself as she sat down on the chaise lounge, she checked her reflection on the mirror. She had curled her hair slightly and did her makeup as best as she could.

Jungah quickly put on the jewelry Kihyun had delivered earlier, a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings, that came with matching bracelets and a ridiculously huge princess cut diamond ring.

“Yoo jewels.” She murmured as she changed out of her robe and helped herself with the gown. It took her a good twenty minutes to get into the Marchesa piece, the salmon pink color complimented her skin so well and showed enough of her cleavage to make up for the huge tulle skirt.

She was about to pick up the tiny Chanel purse when she heard a soft knock.

“Yes?” She called out, the doors slowly opened and she broke into a grin as Shownu stepped in.

“Oh, oppa.” Jungah said, Shownu looked up and then he paused. His brows went up as he met her gaze.

“I know, I’m taking long. But look at this…umbrella I’m wearing.” She said apologetically, Shownu was still staring at her. Jungah quickly slid into her heels and grabbed her phone, she chucked it in her purse and blinked.

“You..can come in.” She turned to him, Shownu diverted his gaze and he cleared his throat.

“Right, uhm, are you g—ood? Do you n—eed any help?” He stammered, but the girl shook her head.

“No, we can go now.”

Shownu nodded, he walked towards her and it was then Jungah noticed the red velvet box he was holding. Her brows rose.

“Is that chocolate?” She asked, Shownu let out a chuckle and shook his head.

“I’m sorry. It’s not chocolate, princess.” He said, Jungah rolled her eyes at him, then he opened the box. Jungah halted and she stared at the box.

“W—Would you l—like to wear this?” Shownu asked softly as he presented the box to her. Jungah stared at the sapphire and diamond choker before her. The sapphire was probably the size of a golf ball and it was surrounded by the clearest diamonds she’s ever seen.

“Did…you coordinate with Kihyun oppa?” She blurted out as she eyed the jewelry she was already wearing, Shownu’s lips curled up ever so slightly.

“I did ask him. Uhm, if you don’t wish to, it’s fine. I can~”

“No, oppa. I’ll wear it. I don’t want to sabotage tonight. I know it’d be easier for everyone if you can locate me right away.” She mused as she eyed the choker, she was already sure that there was GPS chip or bug installed under the stones.

Shownu blinked back at her, but he carefully removed it from the box. Jungah turned her back to him and pulled her hair up. One Dot carefully leaned over and gently locked the choker in place.

“It’s the perfect fit.” He breathed as he stepped back, Jungah smiled as she patted the sapphire on her neck.

“It’s pretty.”

“D—Do y—you like it?” Shownu asked as the girl faced him, he picked up her white coat for her.

“It’s a timeless piece, oppa.” She hummed as they went down the steps, some of the hyungnims were already waiting outside.

“So, tonight we have to get that laptop or computer, whatever.” Jungah murmured as they reached the waiting Rolls Royce. He nodded as he opened the door for her, but Jungah paused and faced him.

The hyungnims smiled at each other as the girl leaned in to straighten his bowtie, and then she brushed down the lapels of his tuxedo.

“Please promise that none of you would get hurt.” She whispered and pulled away from him, Shownu’s brows rose at her statement.

“It’s a simple extraction, Jungah. We’ve done it before.”

“Still, I feel like…they’re always one step ahead of us, oppa. It..bothers me.” She murmured as she took his hand and gave it a small squeeze.

“It doesn’t bother you that we almost lost you the other night? They sent men after you, Jungah.”

The girl didn’t reply, instead she just shrugged and eyed the car warily.

“It’s the only car where your dress would fit.” He explained lightly.

She sent him a look, and the hyungnims earned a glare from her as they chuckled.

“Don’t worry. We’ll be fine.” Shownu mused as he brought her hand to his lips and kissed it.

“Doesn’t sound so reassuring, but okay.” She muttered as she got inside the car.

 

 

 

“My, my, our baby has really grown up.” Mrs. Yoo gushed as she strained her neck to see a better view of her niece stepping the party with her son. Mister Yoo followed her gaze and smiled, Jungah looked like she wanted to run away, but the dress did look good on her.

“Finally, she’s joined us. Sister-in-law would be so happy.” His wife said with glee, mister Yoo rolled his eyes but he was happy as well. Having Jungah with them at the company was the biggest gift, he’d been waiting for his niece to join them.

“But, what is wrong with these boys?” His wife hissed under her breath, her husband blinked and looked around.

“I take it back, your sister will really haunt me now. How will Jungah even get a boyfriend and marry if they..hover around her?” She sighed as she eyed the crowd with a frown.

“What are you talking about? She’s~”

“Look, it’s like that dinner at our home all over again. These boys, really.” She grumbled as she took another sip from her champagne. Kihyun was taken away by one of their business partners and Jungah was chatting with one of the GS Group sons, along with two other impeccably dressed young men that Mrs. Yoo was familiar with. However, Wonho and Hyungwon were already staring at them from their table.

Kihyun’s father almost laughed when he saw Jooheon and Minhyuk glancing at their group from across the room. Changkyun was chatting with his parents but his eyes were on Jungah as well.

“Do you see the problem now? Look, Jaehoon already looks uncomfortable.” His wife said, referring to the GS Group son. The three men kept on looking around, as if feeling the eyes on the backs of their heads.

Mr. Yoo was about to speak when he saw Shownu already seated with some of the gala’s hosts, he was drumming his fingers on the table lightly, listening to the people around him. However, his eyes were elsewhere too.

“They are the problem.” Mrs. Yoo sighed as she moved along, Mister Yoo shook his head to himself and followed his wife.

Jungah excused herself and let out a breath as she stepped away from the three guys, they were all pleasant and welcoming. But the chitchat tired her, and she really wasn’t ready to talk about work. And discuss whether she was free for lunch next Wednesday and being invited to yacht parties during weekends. She was overwhelmed with the attention. She knew that people were already talking about her, all the staring and murmuring. She shuddered as she made her to where Wonho and Hyungwon were standing.

“Well, hello Miss Popular.” Wonho said as he offered one hand to her, she frowned and took it. Not noticing how many young men kind of frowned when she did.

“I’m assuming you didn’t come empty handed?” Hyungwon asked as he offered her champagne, the girl shook her head.

“I did. Wanna see?” She tried to stretch her leg up, Hyungwon sent her a look. She chuckled and put her foot down.

“We have a few minutes left, we need to check the perimeter.” Wonho whispered, the girl nodded along while sticking her tongue out at Hyungwon.

“You boys should stop. Let her breathe.” Kihyun felt his mother pinched his arm as she pulled him with her, the male grimaced.

“What are you talking about, eomma?”

“Jungah.” She jutted her lips towards where she was, Kihyun’s brows rose.

“Hyungwon and her have always had the strangest friendship. They do mix well together, but it always feels dangerous when they’re left alone.” Kihyun nodded along, his mother slapped his arm again. Kihyun noticed how Wonho had discreetly disappeared, and Hyungwon was walking Jungah toward where Shownu was.

“I meant all of you. People wanted to approach her, and introduce themselves, but then they feel all these eyes on them.”

“What do you mean? They can always say hi to her.” Kihyun said as Shownu stood up to pull a chair for her, Hyungwon had stepped aside to approach his family at the other side of the room.

“I should talk to her.” Mrs. Yoo said, she turned around, searching for her niece.

“She’s over there, with hyung.” Kihyun said, his mother followed his gaze and paused.

“What is that?”

“Yes?” Kihyun replied, he took another quick glance around the room, Changkyun and Jooheon were already gone. Minhyuk was already standing by the door, he gave him a small nod before stepping out through the doors.

“Her necklace. Oh my goodness!”

“What are you two talking about?” The Yoo elder joined them, Kihyun smiled and greeted his grandfather.

“Jungah’s here, halbae.” Kihyun said while his mother stared, no, gaped at Jungah.

“I know, I heard she arrived Hyunwoo. Did you introduce her to our~”

“Haraboji,”

Kihyun turned, Wonwoo was standing behind them with a nervous smile on his face, Mrs. Yoo let out a muted exhale and finally stopped gaping.

“Wonwoo, good to see you.”

“Yes, can…can I talk to you? I…I would like ask for your approval on something.”

 

 

 

Jungah scrunched her nose as she looked at the older male.

“A yacht party?” Shownu repeated as he pulled the chair for her, she made a face at him.

“What did you say? I can drop you off.” He offered with a teasing grin, Jungah groaned at him.

“They wanted to talk about work too, oppa. I felt…a little dumb. And,”

“I’m sure they didn’t approach you about work, sit down for a bit.” Shownu said, the girl was about to when two familiar figures approached them. One Dot paused briefly, and Jungah lifted herself again.

“Son,” The male spoke, Jungah’s brows went up. The elegantly dressed lady beside him was smiling at her.

“These are my parents. This is Jungah, Kihyun’s cousin.” He said quickly, Jungah smiled at the adults before bowing politely.

“Nice to meet you, Mister and Mrs. Son.”

“Please, don’t call us that. Our families have known each other for decades.” The male spoke as he shook her offered hand.

“Then, how…should I address you, s—sir?” She tilted her head, still unsure. Shownu’s mother laughed and shook her head.

“Kihyun calls us uncle and auntie, that will work~ Oh!” She halted, her hand flying to . Shownu grimaced and looked away.

“Y—Yes, auntie?”

Mrs. Son was staring at her son now.

“T—That..necklace, dear. W—Wow.” She finally blurted out while Shownu was staring at her, pleading her not to say anything.

“Ah, it’s something~”

“You grandfather just arrived, maybe you should say hi.” Shownu spoke, Jungah looked at him and then she spotted the Yoo elders not far from them.

“I should.” She mumbled, realizing that Wonwoo was speaking with her grandfather and uncle, while her aunt was smiling at her. Kihyun was nowhere to be seen.

Shownu let out a shaky breath as he followed her, ignoring his parents teasing grins. He noticed that Jungah’s fingers were shaking, he silently reached out and held on to her right hand, rubbing small circles with his thumb at the back of her palm.

“Halbae,” Jungah spoke, Wonwoo turned and Shownu felt the male’s heavy gaze on him. But Jungah didn’t shake his hand off as she greeted her relatives.

“Finally, having you with us here calls for a celebration, Jungah.” Mr. Yoo said while his father remained quiet, the elder looked quite pensive.

“And Hyunwoo too, good to see you.”

Shownu greeted the elders with familiarity, Mrs. Yoo was staring at Jungah’s neck, and from across the room she met her friend, Mrs. Son’s gaze.

And the two women smiled at each other.

“Noona, you look beautiful.” Wonwoo spoke to her, Jungah almost took a step back but Shownu kept her planted.

“Thank you. I was just~”

“Jungah, Wonwoo here was just about to ask you to dance.” The Yoo elder finally spoke, Jungah froze, Shownu’s gaze went to the girl.

“D—Dance?”

Shownu was about to look at her when he noticed some of their guards moving outside the double doors. His forehead creased, he slowly removed his hand from hers, but Jungah’s grip tightened.

“I…I have to check on something.” Shownu spoke, Wonwoo’s eyes went to him and then he saw their linked hands.

The two Yoo men looked away and muttered to themselves.

“Is it important?” She said through gritted teeth, Shownu could see the panic in her eyes. And he almost didn’t want to go.

“I’ll be back in a bit. You’ll be okay here.” Shownu softly said, he waited for Jungah to let go. And she did drop his hand, but she sent him a look while doing it. He smiled before excusing himself.

 

 

 

“What did you want to talk about?” Jungah asked as they walked towards the center of the room, Wonwoo offered her a smile before taking both of her hands in his.

“It’s good to see you finally join society, noona.” He said as he placed her hands on both of his shoulders, the girl nodded back with a careful smile.

“I wouldn’t exactly say join, but..yes, I’m here.” She murmured back, her eyes darting towards the door, a couple of their men, disguised as waiters remained inside the room. The music started and Jungah was thankful that she could still remember how to waltz.

“I had about four friends approach me, wanting to be introduced.” He said with a silent laugh, Jungah slowly shook her head, still distracted. She spotted her aunt and Shownu’s mother chatting on one of the tables, the two were whispering to each other, as if sharing some secret. And then the two women met her gaze, they both smiled at her.

Jungah smiled back, she sensed Wonwoo’s palm on her waist and she met his gaze again.

“What’s up, Wonwoo?”

“That’s not exactly what I expected from you, noona. I knew you were avoiding me.” He said, Jungah falthered but she kept up with the steps.

“I—I’m sorry.” She blurted out, she spotted Hyungwon, there was a crease on his forehead as he approached one of the disguised hyungnims. They both left the room together. Jungah chewed on her lower lip, distracted.

“I spoke with your grandfather earlier. I wanted…I had some things to ask him, noona.” Wonwoo said, Jungah diverted her gaze to him.

“Oh.” She blurted out, Wonwoo pulled back slightly so that he’d meet her gaze.

“I told him that I want to marry you, noona.”

Jungah stilled, Wonwoo did the same.

“What?” She sputtered, the younger male smiled and tucked her hair behind her ear. Jungah was about to speak again but Shownu walked in the room again, she felt relief wash over her. But then he noticed the frown on his face.

“I asked him in advance if he’d approve of me. Of us.” Wonwoo continued, Jungah peeled her gaze from the older male.

“You..went to him first?” She breathed, suddenly her dress felt a little too tight.

“It’s only proper~”

“No.” She said as she dropped her arms, Wonwoo’s eyes widened as she took a step away from him. Her gaze went past his shoulder, two of their men were already discarding the trays and tailing an aggravated looking Shownu towards the door.

They were leaving.

“Noona, let’s~”

She raised one hand at him, and shook her head.

“Why would you go to him first?” She said, as Shownu disappeared through the double doors.

No, wait.

“I wanted to talk to him and tell him my plans~”

Jungah turned away from the male, she grabbed the skirts of her dress and headed towards the exit, not minding the other people who glanced at her as she passed by.

“Noona, wait.” Wonwoo caught her byt the arm, but the girl wordlessly shook him off and rushed for the doors.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++