008

You Got Me



 

“So, what really happened? Who made my headache cry?” Wonho grumbled on as he stood by the stove, Shownu was seated by the counter, he wasn’t sure if Chaeyeon was aware that Minhyuk invited them over to her home.

“It’s that whole partner thing again. Joori tricked her into hanging out just them, but it turned out to be an interrogation.” Minhyuk said in a sharp tone as he tossed the veggies onto the skillet.

“She doesn’t like carrots.” Shownu blurted out, his eyes were on the food.

“That’s for us, I made her usual food.” Minhyuk stated, Wonho frowned and shook his head.

“Hey, does she even know~”

“I didn’t I had guests.” A familiar voice spoke, Wonho turned and he beamed at her.

“Are you feeling better now?” He asked her, the girl nodded back and joined them. She was clad in a tank top and a pair of sweatpants.

“I feel like I should change to be respectful.” She murmured as she scratched her arm, Minhyuk snorted.

“Hah. It’s amazing you even fixed your hair before coming down.”

Chaeyeon narrowed her eyes at him, but she opted to peer over Wonho’s shoulder.

“Are…you guys cooking..something else too?” She murmured as she eyed the bunch of vegetables Wonho was sauteing along with the beef strips. Shownu grinned to himself and picked up a bag of chips from the center table.

“You don’t like beef?” Wonho asked.

“No, but..it smells like carrots. Blech.” She gagged and moved away from him, Minhyuk turned and smiled at her direction.

“Feeling better?” He asked as he took her hand, Chaeyeon nodded back at him and squeezed his hand in reply.

“Right, I went shopping with this guy earlier.” Chaeyeon blurted out as she sat on the counter, Shownu glanced at her in mid bite.

“Again? You always hang out without me.” Wonho said playfully.

“Let me guess, you saw him at the mall because auntie was yelling at him for wearing casual clothes.” Minhyuk said as he put a plate of kimbap before the girl. Shownu was about to pick up a piece, but the younger male slapped his hand away.

Chaeyeon chuckled and pushed the plate to Shownu, the girl took a piece for herself before speaking.

“Yes. He looks good in Zegna. Wonho oppa, let’s go out next time.”

“I’ll come by and pick you up.” Wonho winked at her before taking the food out of the skillet. Chaeyeon plopped down beside Shownu and carefully claimed her kimbap.

“Of course, he’s oppa, everyone’s oppa.” Minhyuk said mockingly before disappearing through the backdoor, Shownu’s lips quirked up.

“Are you okay?” He asked in a soft tone as he diverted his gaze to the girl, he placed his hand on the back of the stool she was sitting on as she leaned back to face him.

“I didn’t mean for you to see that. I’m not totally dependent on Minhyuk.” She mumbled, Shownu shook his head.

“It’s fine. We all have our moments.”

“But that wasn’t exactly my most shining moment.” She made a face at him, Shownu smiled and reached out to touch the side of her head.

“As long as you’re feeling better, headache.”

“Hey, she’s my headache. Not yours.” Wonho barked from the stove, Chaeyeon chuckled and started eating. Shownu leaned back on his seat, his hand never leaving the stool the girl was sitting on.

“But, Wonho oppa,” Chaeyeon said as the male sat down across her, Minhyuk came back with their grilled pork.

“You cooked six packs of ramen.”

“I did.”

“H—How are we going to finish all that?” Chaeyeon was staring at the huge bowl of soup before them.

“You’re sitting beside a vacuum, babe. Don’t worry about it.” Minhyuk mused, Chaeyeon glanced at Shownu then she nodded to herself.

“Right.”

“Want some?” Shownu was smiling as he picked up her bowl, Chaeyeon nodded back in reply.

“Just half~”

“Give her a full bowl, hyung. She’s thinking about going on a diet again. Eh.” Minhyuk stated, Chaeyeon was about to react but Wonho shushed with another kimbap slice.

“We do not speak of diet in my presence, especially you, my headache.”

“This is my house, but I’m being attacked.” She mumbled as she chewed, Shownu put her bowl back and spoke.

“If you can’t finish it, hand it to me later. Eat up.” He gave her a little nose scrunch and looked away.

 

 

 

Joori sighed as she paced in her room, Chaeyeon was ignoring all her calls and won’t even leave her on read.

“I shouldn’t have listen to eomma. But, everyone was curious. Who could have possibly made her say yes? The great Chaeyeon unnie.” She murmured, the girl sat down and pulled her laptop towards her. She opened her cousin’s Facebook profile and snooped around, she sighed, not liking what she was doing. But she wasn’t going to deny it.

She was curious too.

Her phone pinged; it was a notification that some of her friends posted stories on Instagram. She tapped through the images and videos without much thought.

Until she reached Minhyuk’s account, he had posted a short clip of Chaeyeon eating across him, but what caught Joori’s eyes was that, her cousin was talking to someone else. The person wasn’t in the frame, but she was sure it wasn’t just the two.

She replayed the clip again, but saw nothing.

“It must be true then.” She murmured, she put her phone down. The girl was about to take a shower when she heard her mother step in her room, she sighed.

“Eomma,”

“How could you just let her escape like that? We didn’t even~”

“You made me lie to her, do you think I’d stop her if she wants to leave?”

“Still, I don’t buy it. Chaeyeon, that girl, she’s keeping things. Is she really that sad? She’s making up stories now.”

“Stories? Why can’t you all just let her be? If she found someone, that’s great. It’s her business if she wants to tell us or not.”

“Come on, I have to know if she’s outdone you or not.”

“Huh?” That made Joori halt in her steps, she faced her mother.

“That boyfriend of yours may be really popular and his family background is good too. So, that’s why your grandmother really likes you now, what if Chaeyeon did better again?”

“Are…Are you comparing Yugyeom to unnie’s boyfriend now?”

“Well, you have always been better than her, look at that girl, so reckless and open. She’s always around that Minhyuk. Always around men.”

“Eomma~”

“Anyway, I doubt she’s seeing someone better than Yugyeom. But, we have to make sure she doesn’t one up you again.”

 

 

 

“Wow, I would have never expected a call from the great one.” Chaeyeon was smiling to herself as the driver maneuvered around the busy streets of Seoul’s downtown.

“Don’t say that, are you busy?”

“No, I’m on my way to a Shinhan party. Shinhan Financial Group is welcoming their new director.” She recited as she looked at the invitation on her lap, the girl on the end snorted.

“Minhyuk’s cousin?”

“Yes. I guess the elders got their way again, as usual. When are you dropping by here?” Chaeyeon asked as she checked her reflection. She was wearing a muted pink dress that was just inches above her knees which she matched with a pair of silk Valentino pumps that almost matched the color of her skin.

“I’m not really sure, there’s so much going on here right now.”

“ to be you, Sophia Wu.” She mused, the girl from the other end snorted.

“Has Minhyuk been treating you well?”

“He misses you.”

“Eh.”

“Come on, give him a chance.” Chaeyeon mused as the car pulled to a slow halt. She grabbed her purse and ran her fingers through her hair.

“I’ll see when I see you, Yeon. Take care.”

 

 

 

“This is everything?” Minhyuk said as he stepped out of his office, he had the guest list for the tonight’s party in his hands.

“Yes, it has been reviewed three times since last week, sir.”

Minhyuk’s forehead creased, still doubtful but he nodded back.

“But, who are you looking for? Is there someone that shouldn’t be invited?” His secretary asked as he walked with him.

“No, I’m just making sure we didn’t invite the wrong people.”

“Ah, yes.”

Minhyuk got inside the elevator and his phone pinged.

I’m wearing pink. Let’s match. -Chaeyeon

He chuckled before typing in a reply.

How about a pastel pink suit and a yellow tie?

Chaeyeon’s reply was a bunch of middle-finger emojis but she sent another message.

Wear that and you won’t see me for years. You don’t have to come by to pick me up by the way. -Chaeyeon

Okay. Dress warmly.

Don’t tell me how to dress. -Chaeyeon

It might rain tonight, you brat.

Chaeyeon didn’t reply, Minhyuk put his phone back in his coat pocket and he arrived at the lobby, his phone started to ring. He took it out again and saw Joori’s name flashing on the screen, he so badly wanted to roll his eyes. He tapped on the green icon and pressed the device against his ear.

“Joori, hey.”

“Oppa, have you spoken to unnie lately?”

“I did, I was at her place last night.” He said coolly, he saw his car being brought around and he jogged towards it.

“Just you and her, oppa?”

Minhyuk’s brows rose and he shrugged to himself.

“No, it wasn’t just us. Joori, is this urgent? I have to be at someplace else.”

“Oh, no, no. I just wanted to know if she’s alright.”

“She’s okay, give her a couple of days and she’ll speak to you again.” Minhyuk murmured as he got inside the vehicle and drove away from the building.

“How the hell am I going to weasel Chaeyeon out of this?”

 

 

 

“You too, please drop by soon.” She mused before ending the call, Chaeyeon slid down and walked towards the hotel’s entrance. She made her way around the lobby and got inside an elevator, she checked her phone again as another message from Joori arrived.

Her forehead creased in discomfort and tossed her phone back in her purse, the doors pinged open and she was led to the reserved private hall.

“Wow, now I want my parents here.” She murmured as she walked in, Shinhan was serious about announcing Shownu’s return and their new partnership with LG, judging by the number guests already inside, she knew it was going to be a long night.

She walked deeper into the crowd, she spotted Minhyuk speaking with a middle-aged couple, he caught her eye but Chaeyeon shook her head at him and moved along.

“Is that him? Son Hyunwoo?”

“Yes, he’s the older one.”

She glanced at her back, she recognized Sunhee, daughter to SK Telcom, Jinkyeong, youngest child of Hyundai Motor as they whispered with Shinae, the POSCO granddaughter. The three kept on glancing at somewhere while giggling to themselves.

“What a gene pool.” Sunhee giggled as she stole another glance again, Chaeyeon followed their gaze and saw Shownu. He was standing next to the Shinhan patriarch, obviously being introduced to some important guests. He cut a really good figure among the crowd in his black and white tuxedo as he nodded along in their conversation.

“I can’t believe Shinhan has been hiding him for years. I could just slide my body down those arms.”

“I know, I bet he has rock hard abs too! A literal treat!”

“Look at the face, the body, he’s also tall. But seriously, the face. The body!”

Chaeyeon winced, she was about to move when she heard Shinae call her name.

“Chaeyeon-ah!”

Oh lord.

She spun around, feigning surprise.

“Hi, girls.” She said with a pleasant smile, still trying to shake off the image of them sliding their bodies down Shownu’s arms.

“It’s been a while, how are you? I don’t see Minhyuk with you.” Jinkyeong said with a grin.

“Oh, we didn’t come together. But he’s here. How’s it going?”

“Did you see the new director? Apparently, he’s a cousin.” Sunhee said excitedly as she pulled Chaeyeon closer to them, wanting to gossip.

“Ah, him.”

“Have you met him? Chaeyeon-ah, he is so hot~”

“Chaeyeon-ah?”

The three women froze and looked behind the girl, Chaeyeon pursed her lips and she felt a palm on her elbow.

“Girls, this is Son Hyunwoo, Shinhan’s new director. Shownu, this is Sunhee, Shinae and Jinkyeong.” She said in haste, Shownu politely bowed in greeting as the ladies continued to stare at him.

“Can I borrow her for a bit?” Shownu said with a small smile and gestured for the girl to follow him, Chaeyeon walked after him.

“So, what’s up? Great party.” She murmured, now she couldn’t help but stare at him up close, and then she laughed to herself. Shownu clawed at his collar before speaking.

“I think I’ve spoken to over fifty people by now, and the party hasn’t even started yet.” Shownu mumbled as the girl walked with him.

“It’s part of life, Son Hyunwoo.” She said, she saw Minhyuk’s mother in the crowd and she waved at the lady.

“What did you want to talk about?” She noticed how Shownu kept on fiddling with his bowtie, her brows rose.

“Eomma wanted me to tell you that she’s grateful for your help, she wants to know if you’d like to sit at our table.” Shownu stated as he scratched on his neck again, Chaeyeon sighed and then she leaned over to untie the bowtie. She let the piece of fabric hang around his neck and straightened his collar again.

“Don’t worry, she won’t kill you over that. It’s how some people wear it nowadays. And yes, I can join you at your table.” She patted his shoulder and stepped back.

“This is out of character, but I’d kill for a mini sandwich.” Chaeyeon turned her gaze towards the table that was filled with appetizers.

“I’ll go get you~”

“I’m sorry, but I can hunt for my food.” Chaeyeon mused, Shownu walked with her towards the table and he could see that the girl was smiling.

“Hey, can we get a crab cake and split in half? I’m never really sure if I like them or not. And, they have those lettuce wraps and, you’re not Minhyuk. Nevermind.” She murmured, realizing what she was saying. Shownu laughed and shook his head at the girl.

“Let’s split a crab cake. It’s alright.” Shownu mused back, the girl grinned at him and hooked arms with the male. Shownu paused, his brows going up.

“Those salad cups look interesting too, Shownu.” She mumbled as they neared the table, Shownu looked at her arm around his and he smiled.

“Let’s get that too.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++