027

You Got Me

 

 

“Ah, so it happened like that. I don’t understand it, but they’ve always been very nosey when it comes to my sister.” Sehun continued, Shownu nodded back at him.

“But, thanks for helping her out, who knows how many people she would have killed at that party.” Sehun ended with a smile, they were all seated for lunch. Chaeyeon remained distracted as she chatted with Wonho, while Minhyuk had a permanent crease on his forehead.

“Chaeyeon never mentioned you, well, not until she had to.” Shownu said good-naturedly, Sehun chuckled.

“She doesn’t really like talking about me.”

“You mean, ever since you got so popular that your fans tailed me to the bathroom? Of course, I enjoy talking about you.” She said dryly, Wonho bit down his laugh but Chaeyeon smiled at him.

“That too.” Sehun shrugged, Shownu was about to speak but Sophia’s movement caught her attention, she was trying to reach for Chaeyeon’s hand across the table.

“Sophia wants to talk.” He touched her elbow, Chaeyeon turned to the girl and grew sheepish.

“Yes, miss Wu?”

“How about we get the dessert? I’m sure they already sliced the cake for us.”

“Let’s just ask them~”

“Kitchen. Now.” She hissed, Wonho chuckled on his seat as Chaeyeon sighed and stood up. Sehun watched as Shownu’s eyes followed Chaeyeon to the kitchen doors, the eldest Oh smiled to himself and picked up his fork.

Chaeyeon tiptoed into the kitchen and found her friend leaning against the counter, with both arms crossed against her chest.

“Hi.” She said, Sophia sighed before speaking.

“How could you put two people, who are so opposite to each other, in the same table to eat?”

“Well, in my defense, they were okay with each other until..you know, but I don’t blame you.” Sophia exhaled and looked away from her.

“Look, at some point, you three will have to talk, you know. It doesn’t have to be….I just wish things were easier again. It’s weird for me not being able to have you, Minhyuk and my brother in the same room. I’m not forcing that things should be okay right away, but,” Chaeyeon trailed off, she could feel Soph’s heavy gaze on her.

“They don’t, Soph. You never told them what you really think. You never gave them an answer.”

“You really want to know?” Sophia asked as she chewed on her lower lip.

“You don’t have to tell me, but I’d appreciate it if you…settle things down with them. And, I’m not asking you to choose one or anything, but can we all be friends again? Like the old times?” Chaeyeon said softly, Sophia looked away again and crossed her arms.

“If I tell you what was going on in my head back then, will you answer one question for me?”

“Is this about the beach weekend party? Because I know Minhyuk won’t go with me now, I won’t drag you there with me though, so don’t worry. I’ll just suffer through it alone.” Chaeyeon snorted and shook her head.

“Girl, you have Son Hyunwoo for that. I want to know something else.”

“Fine. Shoot.” Chaeyeon leaned against the counter as well.

“Minhyuk.”

Chaeyeon paused and blinked at her.

“What?”

“You asked what I was thinking. I was thinking of him when I left.”

“Oh.” Chaeyeon nodded back, then her eyes widened.

“Oh!”

“Now, my turn.” Sophia shushed her, Chaeyeon closed .

“You and Park Jinyoung,”

The latter froze at the sudden mention of her ex-boyfriend’s name.

“You two…never had a clean break. I may not know all the details, but it’s pretty obvious.”

“S—Soph, it’s~”

“Are you over him? Or is he the reason why you’ve rejected everyone who came near you all these years?”

Chaeyeon’s gaze faltered, she heard Sophia shift as she poured herself a glass of water.

“It’s~”

“Are you going to take long? Because Minhyuk already left and it’s pretty awkward at the table.” Wonho was peeking by the doors, Chaeyeon broke into a grin and lifted the cake from the table.

“Huh, saved by the head of security.” Sophia mused to herself as Chaeyeon quickly waddled out of the room.

 

 

 

Sehun set his cup of coffee down and took a seat at the house’s veranda. He could hear his sister’s voice from across the garden, they were probably near the garage. Her new friends were into cars, just like her.

Sehun saw Chaeyeon chatting with Wonho as she opened the hood of their father’s vintage Rolls Royce, his lips curled up slightly.

“Chaeyeon’s really brave for doing this.”

The voice made Sehun turn slightly, Sophia took the seat next to him and he nodded back at her.

“It really must have bothered her. How are you?” Sehun replied, his tone light.

“I didn’t expect I’d be staying longer than I have to. But work calls.”

“I didn’t ask when are you leaving, Sophia.”

“I know, I was just giving you a heads up.” She let out a small smile, Sehun nodded back at her.

“I’m sorry…for disappearing like that back then, Oh Sehun. I…didn’t know how to deal with it.”

Sehun picked up his coffee and took a small sip, Shownu had already joined them by the car now, and he was looking at the car.

“I know.”

“You don’t.” Sophia continued, she was also looking at the three with a smile on her face, and then she turned to Sehun.

“You’ve…You’ve always been one of the few people I trust the most, I…just didn’t want to hurt you. And, the only option I thought was…that I leave. I didn’t know that I’d hurt more people that way.” She murmured.

Sehun didn’t speak.

“But, I really hope we’d remain friends, Oh Sehun.” Sophia said, Sehun’s eyes widened briefly but he nodded in reply.

“Yeah, friends.” He repeated, the girl looked ahead and her brows went up. Chaeyeon was still chatting with Wonho animatedly, but Shownu was standing behind her and had somehow managed to tuck the girl under his chin. And Chaeyeon didn’t seem to mind, in fact she even tilted her head slightly to lean on him.

She could see how the male was smiling along while Chaeyeon spoke, she’d never seen her like this. So comfortable, so at ease.

“I’m confused.” Sehun suddenly spoke, his eyes were on the two as well.

“Me too.”

“It doesn’t look fake, Soph.”

“I have no doubts on Son Hyunwoo. It’s your sister, she’s the mystery.” Soph chuckled.

“Usually, she’d be annoyed when someone does that to her.” Sehun said, Sophia stood up and nodded.

“Because he makes her feel safe. And that’s something.”

 

 

 

“This…seems grand.” Wonho murmured as he walked in the hall, Sophia had come with them, not wanting to arrive alone at the grand Shinsegae event. Every year, Chaeyeon’s grandmother threw this almost week-long party just to celebrate the company’s anniversary and also her birthday.

And every year, Chaeyeon tries to avoid the whole thing. But she can’t.

“Are those two still not talking? It’s been two days.” Shownu said, Sophia grinned at him.

“You don’t know how petty they can get. Especially, your girlfriend.”

“Well..she’s..not.” Shownu murmured, a little flustered with her words, Wonho giggled to himself.

“Be honest, Son Hyunwoo,” Sophia asked as she hooked arms with Wonho, also she grew conscious of the stares they were earning.

“You like her.”

Shownu stilled for a moment, the girl could see how his ears turned red and she smiled.

“Sophia,”

“I won’t spill. I mean, Chaeyeon tends to be a little numb to these things. Not that she hates men or anything, but I don’t know what happened, she’s kind of conditioned herself to think of having a boyfriend is a weakness or something that could hinder her. That’s her.”

“Are you scaring him or discouraging him, migraine?” Wonho said in a playful tone, the girl stopped walking, she spotted Chaeyeon in the crowd, looking ethereal in a light colored dress that almost matched her skin tone. She also noticed how a lot of male guests were glancing at her, her lips curled up.

“Son Hyunwoo, you’re in danger right now.” She commented, Shownu tilted his head at her.

“What do you mean?” He asked, Wonho was fixing his tie while listening to them.

“It’s common knowledge that among the Shinsegae grandchildren, Chaeyeon’s the only one who has remained single for quite a long time.” She continued as she saw a young male, wearing a pin-striped suit approach her friend.

“I mean most of her cousins have gotten married or have partners already. Her brother doesn’t count because, he’s a celebrity. But her, she’s always caught some eyes, you know.”

“Of course, my headache is beautiful.” Wonho smiled, he saw Chaeyeon in the crowd.

“The fact that she didn’t arrive here with Minhyuk will just encourage those eyes more, he’s always been the one who shooed them away, you know.” Sophia chuckled seeing as how Shownu looked a little tense.

“Told you that you should have picked her up.” Wonho mused.

“She said she’d meet me here.” Shownu replied, Sophia smiled to herself.

“That’s why you two get along, you don’t hover.” Sophia said just as Chaeyeon’s eyes went to them, she quickly excused herself from the male.

“Wonho oppa, let’s find our seats.” She said with a wink and pulled the male with her, Shownu looked up and realized that Chaeyeon was walking towards him. And Sophia was right, a lot of people were looking at her, no, staring. His forehead creased ever so slightly, but he met her gaze.

“Hi.” Chaeyeon broke into a smile as she reached him, Shownu nodded at her. The girl wordlessly linked both of her arms around his and pursed her lips.

“Minhyuk’s still ignoring me.” She said quietly, Shownu leaned down to kiss the side of her head.

“He’ll come around. He always does.” He replied, he looked around them again and noticed that the males from earlier had diverted their gazes.

Hehe, I win.

“I miss his annoying self. But, thanks for coming.” She said as they moved around, with her still clinging onto him.

“Is something wrong?” Shownu asked, sensing her discomfort.

“Yugyeom said hi to me earlier, I got flashbacks.” She said in a small voice and he couldn’t help but laugh.

“It’s not funny.” She hissed under her breath and let go of him, Shownu glanced at her.

“You’re cute when you’re annoyed.” He said as he raised his hand to her, Chaeyeon rolled her eyes and laced her fingers with his.

“Let’s hi to your grandmother.”

“Why?”

“To be polite.” Shownu blinked at her, Chaeyeon pursed her lips before nodding.

“Right. And,” Chaeyeon stood before him, and with her free hand, she reached to touch his bowtie.

“Son Hyunwoo in a bowtie, a rare sight.”

“It’s itchy.” He scrunched his nose at her, Chaeyeon chuckled and briefly pressed her forehead against his chest.

“Thank god you’re here, really, Son Hyunwoo.”

 

 

 

“I was right, you are Jinae’s grandson.” Chaeyeon watched as her grandmother spoke with the male.

“Yes, Mrs.~ I mean, halmeoni.” Shownu nodded with a smile, he was seated next to the elder and didn’t mind all her questions.

“Your grandmother and I went to the same high school, she was my best friend too. We always got in trouble together.”

Shownu chuckled at the information.

“I thought you looked familiar the first time I saw you, then your grandmother called and told me that you were dating Chaeyeon. Aigoo, you should have told me sooner, Hyunwoo-ah.” She clucked her tongue at him.

“Sure, halmae, I’ll ask him to introduce himself by using his grandmother’s name next time.” Chaeyeon chimed in, she winced as the elder slapped her arm.

“You brat. Stop being mean to him.” She hissed at her, Chaeyeon chuckled.

“I’ll go get something to drink. Will you survive her?” She asked as she stood up, Shownu nodded at her.

“Halmae, I’d like my boyfriend when back when I return.” Chaeyeon said jokingly before moving along, she made her way through the sea of guests. She spotted her cousin, Sera and her husband, she waved at the couple. She noticed the grazing table and walked around it before deciding on a piece of cracker and some cheese. She paused when she heard a familiar voice across her, she turned her head, Minhyuk and Wonho were chatting by the bar. Sophia was seated by them, listening as the two spoke.

Chaeyeon was about to call for them when she felt someone next to her.

“I had a feeling I’d finally get to see you here.” A voice spoke. Chaeyeon stilled, she dropped the cracker on the carpeted floor as the male stood next to her. She swallowed before turning her gaze to him.

“J—Jinyoung-ah,”

He smiled and took a small sip from his champagne.

“I wasn’t expecting that our families were still doing business together. You left me so abruptly, Chaeyeon-ah.”

“I—I…”

“Let’s have a chat outside.” Jinyoung said and then she felt his fingers wrap around her wrist and the male started to pull her with him, Chaeyeon felt her chest tighten as they were outside the hall. She was staring at his fingers on her skin, the girl looked around them.

“W—What do you want?” Chaeyeon stammered again, she pressed her lips together as Jinyoung faced her.

“I just want to know, why…why did you leave without saying another? Not even a goodbye. It hurts, Chaeyeon-ah.” Jinyoung said as he walked towards her, Chaeyeon stepped back and she grimaced when her back collided against the wall.

“And now I see you parading this new man around, I’m confused.” Jinyoung continued, the girl exhaled and tried to step aside, but Jinyoung blocked her with one arm.

Chaeyeon started to panic as he leaned in closer to her.

“Don’t go yet, Chaeyeon-ah. I really missed you.” Jinyoung whispered, Chaeyeon winced as she felt his breath against her neck.

“Jinyoung-ah, let’s…let’s do this later. I have to go back inside.”

“Come on, you hate this things.” Jinyoung laughed and then he took hold of her hand again, Chaeyeon recoiled at his touch.

“Stay here~”

Chaeyeon gasped when Jinyoung was suddenly pushed off her.

“I told you to stay away from her!” Minhyuk spat at him as he covered Jinyoung’s view of Chaeyeon.

“You know, by this time I was hoping you’d mind your own business.” Jinyoung smirked as he fixed his coat, Minhyuk scoffed and took another step closer to him, not wanting him to even look at his friend.

“Leave.”

“Who are you to say that? You’re just her friend, Lee Minhyuk. Stop trying to insert yourself between us.”

“Us?” Minhyuk chuckled without humor, Chaeyeon looked away and closed her eyes, she could feel her fingers trembling.

“There is no you and her, you bastard.”

“Get out of my face, Lee Minhyuk. You weren’t there when~”

Minhyuk suddenly grabbed Jinyoung by the collar and his fist connected with the latter’s nose. Jinyoung hissed as he staggered back.

“Lee Minhyuk!” Sophia ran towards them as Minhyuk was about to throw another punch, Chaeyeon opened her eyes and she jumped when she felt someone touch her arm.

“I’m sorry!” Shownu blurted out as he quickly stepped away from her, Sophia was standing between the other two males.

“Stop this.”

“Make sure he leaves.” Minhyuk spat before moving away from them, Sophia sighed and faced Jinyoung.

“That also means you don’t talk to him, Sophia.” Minhyuk stated without looking back, the girl looked at Jinyoung again, she exhaled and walked after Minhyuk.

“Chaeyeon-ah,” Jinyoung said softly, the girl shook her head and looked away. Shownu’s brows went up as he saw her reaction, he carefully stepped forward, perfectly covering the male’s view of Chaeyeon.

“I think you should go.” He said in a polite tone, Jinyoung’s gaze hardened.

“And who the hell are you? Her boyfriend?” He cackled at him, Shownud didn’t even blink an eye.

“Yes.” He replied, and then he turned to Chaeyeon again, the girl was holding onto the sleeve of his shirt.

“Excuse me,” Jinyoung reached for his shoulder, Shownu suddenly turned to him and the latter stepped back.

“It’s clear that she also wants you to leave. I hope we can settle this matter peacefully, and please leave my girl alone.” Shownu calmly stated, he felt Chaeyeon’s hand in his. Jinyoung took a step back, still grinning.

“Son Hyunwoo.” She whispered, her fingers tightened around his hand.

Shownu pulled the girl with him back to the party, Jinyoung smirked to himself as he watched the two.

“How amusing. He thinks he can block me. Pathetic.” Jinyoung spat, he was about to walk back through the doors when two burly men in dark suits appeared before him.

“We’re sorry, but we have instructions not let you in, sir.” One spoke, the Park Holdings boss grew enraged.

“What? Tell them that my family has been doing business with Shinsegae for years, I~”

“I’m sorry,” Another male appeared, and the two guards pulled back. Jinyoung’s forehead creased, as he tried to remember where he had seen him.

“As president Oh’s head of security, I have the right to have you kicked out of the event. Please leave while we’re still being nice.” He said with a bright smile.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++