016

You Got Me

 

 

Chaeyeon ran her fingers through her hair as the car pulled to a stop, she looked up at condominium complex before them.

Shownu slid down from the car and opened the door for her, the girl pursed her lips briefly.

“What’s wrong?” He asked as the valet took the Audi away from the curb.

“You have thirty seconds to change your mind and you can bolt out of here.” She said as they crossed the lobby, Shownu chuckled in reply.

“If I do that, Minhyuk and Wonho will have my head.” He said as he pressed the button on the wall, Chaeyeon shook her head.

“Joori lives by herself?”

“Yes, she got this three floor unit two years ago despite her mother’s protests.” Chaeyeon said with a small smile, the doors opened and they went in. Chaeyeon crossed her arms and glanced at him, he was wearing a pair of black tapered jeans, it fit him perfectly too, and she recognized one of the sweaters she chose for him.

“I didn’t know what to wear, so I got something from the Chaeyeon goodie bag, that’s what Wonho calls it.” Shownu said, a little flustered. Chaeyeon smiled, she walked to him fix the sleeves of the sweater, she pushed them up to his elbows and nodded.

“It looks good, V-neck is your thing.” She stated, the doors pinged open and Shownu gestured for her to go first. They made their way towards Joori’s unit, Chaeyeon pressed her thumb on the doorbell, she felt Shownu nudge her.

“Hmm?” She turned to him, he had a small smile on his face while stretching his hand to her.

“Oh, I almost forgot. That’s why you’re here, right.” She said dryly, the male let out a laugh and the doors opened.

“Unnie!” Joori was smiling, Shownu laced his fingers with the girl’s and they were ushered in.

“Everyone’s already here. I’m glad you could come, Hyunwoo oppa.” She said as she took Chaeyeon’s coat, the male nodded back.

“Our other cousins want to meet him, they’re at the living room.”

Chaeyeon paused, she turned to the male, unsure.

“Really? I must have a made an impression at the party then.” Shownu said gamely, Chaeyeon’s lips pursed and he noticed that.

“You said you were thirsty? Joori can introduce me while you get something to drink.” Shownu stated as he gave her waist a small squeeze, Joori’s brows rose at the gesture.

“He’s right, unnie. I can show him around.”

“Alright.” Chaeyeon said, Shownu’s lips quirked up slightly and he followed Joori. Chaeyeon made her way to the kitchen and picked up two martinis. On her way to join the others, she saw Yugyeom chatting with some of Joori’s guests, her cousin had also invited a few of her close friends from college. The male was seated by the windows, with his legs crossed over on another as he held onto a glass of champagne. He was laughing at something Joori’s friend, Jihye was saying. And then he would occasionally reach out to pat the girl’s thigh. Chaeyeon moved along, taking smalls sip from her glass as she maneuvered through the small crowd. She reached the living room, Shownu was speaking with three of her older cousins, he was all smiles as he answered their questions while it looked like they were throwing hearts at him with their eyes.

They’re not even looking at his face.

Chaeyeon realized that her cousins were all just staring at Shownu’s arms, the sweater had accentuated them quite nicely.

“Chaeyeon-ah,”

They all turned to her, Chaeyeon nodded back and walked to them, she looked around, realizing that her cousins had no plans on moving.

“I got you one too.” She said as she opted to sit on the arm on the chair Shownu was occupying, he thanked her and took the glass.

“Hyunwoo was just telling us how you two met, it’s funny how Minhyuk set you up.”

“Yeah, Minhyuk did.” Chaeyeon murmured, Shownu looked at the position she was sitting, his forehead creased briefly.

“You can sit~”

“It’s fine,” She said, Shownu put his palm on her back instead. The three ladies looked at each other and cooed.

“You two are so cute, you know, Chaeyeon has always been our lone wolf. Always doing things on her own, never asking for help. We all thought she hated men.”

“Unnie, I literally have a male best friend.”

“You said Minhyuk doesn’t count.”

Shownu bit down his laugh, Chaeyeon shook her head at her relative.

“This girl doesn’t even have an ideal type, just don’t talk too much and she’ll love you.”

“Really?” Shownu leaned in, amused. Chaeyeon’s cousins were teasing her, but he could tell that it didn’t bother the girl.

“Yes, we’re glad she finally introduced you to us. We were all curious who won our ice princess’ heart.”

Joori approached them, Chaeyeon looked at her, sensing the girl’s discomfort.

“I see everyone has met the famous boyfriend.” She commented, Shownu took a small sip from his drink and set it down.

“I have to drive,” He looked up to meet her gaze, Chaeyeon’s eyes widened in realization.

“Right, oh my god, I’m sorry.” She blurted out, Shownu smiled and simply patted her waist.

“It’s fine.” He leaned his head against her arm.

Joori’s forehead creased briefly, her eyes went to Yugyeom across the hall.

“I see why auntie finally shut , Son Hyunwoo has passed the test,” One of their older cousins commented.

“Really? That’s good to hear then. Isn’t that always the goal?” Joori’s reply made the other girls pause, Chaeyeon’s brows went up. There was something in Joori’s tone that didn’t sit well with her, even their older cousins grew uncomfortable.

“Hey, maybe you already have had too much to drink.” Chaeyeon said softly, Shownu followed her gaze.

“No, I’m just really happy for you, unnie. Everyone’s talking about you now, you’re the only person they see in this party.” Joori said with a laugh before moving along.

“Yes, she is drunk.” One cousin stated with a nervous chuckle, Chaeyeon exhaled she slid down from the chair’s armrest. She was about to follow the girl but Shownu held onto her hand.

“Maybe she just needs some air,” He said, he was already standing up.

“She didn’t have to be so rude.” Chaeyeon pointed out, peeved, Shownu simply steered her towards the veranda.

“And, you don’t have to pick fights with her too.”

“Hey, she started it. She~”

“Are you hungry?” Shownu was smiling, Chaeyeon rolled her eyes and glanced at the table that was set with cheese trays.

“I think I am.”

“See? No need to pick fights with your cousin. I’ll go get us something.” Shownu touched her chin briefly before leaving her.

 

 

 

Shownu glanced over his shoulder as Chaeyeon walked towards the kitchen.

“So, Minhyuk didn’t give you crap for dating his Chaeyeon?” Chaeyeon’s male cousin asked, they had invited Shownu for a round of pool.

Joori had a pool table at her place, and naturally, most guys were drawn to it.

“No.” Shownu’s reply was simple, the guys laughed.

“Not to offend you or anything, but we always thoughts that Chaeyeonie would end up with him, you know. But, seeing you two,”

Shownu leaned against the table, his eyes were focusing on the balls.

“Chaeyeon seems at ease with you, that’s nice.”

“Oh wow, you guys are throwing out compliments for free.” Chaeyeon returned, Shownu smiled and opened one arm to her.

“She had us at gunpoint the other day,” The other cousin said jovially, Chaeyeon punched him in the arm.

“Oppa, shut up.” Chaeyeon muttered under her breath before proceeding to stand next to the male, Shownu placed one arm around her waist.

Joori was watching from afar as her cousins chatted with Shownu warmly, even the usually tensed Chaeyeon looked so relaxed with him. She took another sip from her drink and pushed the glass away from her. Her eyes went to the couple again and she crossed her arms.

Chaeyeon was laughing along when she paused, she turned to Shownu and whispered something to him, he leaned down and began to nod. He let out a chuckle, and there it was again, he softly patted her waist as she spoke.

Joori left her seat and walked towards the group, she put a smile on her face as she reached them.

“Unnie, want to hang out with me for a bit? I’m sure Hyunwoo oppa wouldn’t mind.” She said in a playful tone, Chaeyeon nodded at her.

Shownu let go of the girl and she joined her cousin at the kitchen. Chaeyeon decided to sit on one of the stools, Joori leaned against the counter.

“So, things seem to be going well? They like him.” Joori said as she poured herself a glass of wine, Chaeyeon looked at the girl, noticing her already pink cheeks.

“Hey, you’re drinking a lot tonight.” She commented, Joori shrugged the comment off and took a sip.

“Well, Shownu’s not exactly hard to get along with.”

“I noticed that, but, unnie,”

Chaeyeon leaned back on the stool, letting her continue as she checked the heels she was wearing.

“Sure, unnie, he’s great. Easy on the eyes too, but is he good enough?” Joori questioned, that made Chaeyeon look up.

“What?”

“You’re really going to settle down with some…mechanic?” Joori spat the last word, and Chaeyeon grew stunned with her words.

“I mean look at him go, being the apple of everyone’s eyes, our cousins wont even say hi to Yugyeom. And yet this newcomer boyfriend of yours has swept them off their feet, they don’t even know what he does for a living. Imagine if they find out,” Joori started to chuckle, Chaeyeon let out a breath and slid down from the seat.

“You’re drunk.”

Joori paused, as if realizing what she had just said.

“Unnie~”

“Stop drinking.” Chaeyeon murmured as she left the girl, her eyes scanned the room as soon as she was out of the kitchen. Her eyebrows were knitted together as she walked around the party in search for Shownu.

She found him, still chatting with her cousins, but they had moved by the buffet table. Chaeyeon looked at him, he had one hand buried in his pocket, but she could see the face of his Cartier watch.

Her brows rose, suddenly distracted.

“I have the same exact one, only for women.” She murmured as she padded towards him, she hooked arms with the male.

“You left Joori?” Shownu said, Chaeyeon nodded back at him

“I want to go home, she was being an .” Chaeyeon said under her breath, Shownu nodded and they excused themselves from her relatives.

“Did something happen?” Shownu asked as she got her coat from one of the house staff.

“Yeah, they all have a crush on you and it’s irking me.” She commented with a laugh, Shownu helped her with the coat.

“You can say goodbye to them, I’ll go get the car.” Shownu was smiling as he pulled the coat closer to her, Chaeyeon sighed and simply followed him. He paused, confused that the girl was already holding onto his sleeve as he walked.

“I’d like to be rude and just leave without a word. Come on.”

 

 

 

“Sold out? Everything?” Chaeyeon was smiling as they stepped out of the boutique, secretary Yang nodded and followed his boss.

“Yes, it came quite surprise, to be honest, president. Since it’s clothing for men, the sales team didn’t expect this kind of response.”

“Me too, it’s always been the ladies who are excited over new clothes. I guess we did well, secretary Yang.” Chaeyeon commented as they move along, she checked her phone, Joori had messaged her.

And she decided not to reply.

“Should we set off to Hongdae? We still have two shops to check there.”

“Yes, let~” Chaeyeon halted when a vaguely familiar male had approached them, the girl grimaced and stepped back.

“Director Ko,” Her secretary spoke and gave the male a polite bow, she took note of his shaken appearance and how the male looked terrified.

“President, can..can we talk?” He stammered, gone was his usual confident gait as he neared them.

“What is it?” Chaeyeon’s tone was civil and she crossed her arms. The male pressed his palms together before meeting the girl’s gaze.

“I would like..to apologize for the way I behaved the other night, it was highly improper for me to treat like that.” He stammered, Chaeyeon could only stare at him in confusion.

“I did not want to offend you. And I admit that I am an and my whole existence is a mistake, president.”

Secretary Yang tilted her head at his words, what he was saying didn’t make any sense.

“I’m sorry for speaking of you lightly and assuming that I could buy you with money.” He continued, Chaeyeon’s brows rose, somehow what ever the male was saying, it didn’t sound like him.

“Did someone ask you to say those things?” She asked, director Ko’s eyes widened, and she saw the fear in his eyes.

“I—I am sorry, president. You wont hear from me again.” Director Ko blurted out before running away from them, Chaeyeon scratched the back of her head.

“Did he make any sense to you?” She asked, secretary Yang shook her head.

“But, he is an , president.”

“I agree.” Chaeyeon nodded as they waited for the car to be brought around.

“Excuse me, ma’am, but your cousin has been calling. She wants to speak with you.”

Chaeyeon’s lips thinned and she shook her head.

“Did anyone else call?”

“Just a text message from someone who claims to be your head of security,”

“Huh?” Chaeyeon paused and she turned to her, the girl showed her the text.

It was a bunch of bunny and heart emojis that was addressed from her so-called head of security.

“Did we hire one?”

“Did you hire one?”

 

 

 

“You’re here because you didn’t like what they made for breakfast and you don’t want to offend them, huh?” Minhyuk asked as he walked towards the fridge, it was just eight in the morning and Chaeyeon was sitting in the middle of his kitchen.

“Sort of. What are you cooking?”

“You want rice?” He asked her, she sent him a thumbs up.

“How did Joori’s party go? Did you have fun showing hyung around?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” She shot back as she made coffee for them, Minhyuk glanced at the girl and grinned.

“I’m going to be out of town for a bit, Yeon.” He begun, the girl turned her head to him, her eyes widened.

“What?”

“I’m needed at Jeju and Incheon, why are you panicking? Aigoo, are you going to miss me?” He hummed at the girl, Chaeyeon’s eyes narrowed at him.

“It’s for work, a bunch of our offices need some checking. I’ll be back by Monday.” Minhyuk patted her cheek as he set the plate of pancakes on the counter.

“In case you forgot, you put me up with this whole lying to everyone thing, I think it’s only fitting that you don’t leave me.”

“You have Hyunwoo hyung.”

“I’m holding onto a pot of boiling coffee, Lee Minhyuk.” She pointed out, the male chuckled and set the plates on the counter.

“You know,” Chaeyeon begun as she handed him a cup of coffee.

“What?”

“Something odd happened yesterday,” She said as she sat down across him and started eating.

“I was out with secretary Yang visiting the stores, and then remember that investor I told you about? Director Ko?”

“Ah, the ert I warned you not meet at night? Yeah, sure.” Minhyuk said with a flourish of his hand. Chaeyeon shushed him.

“I ran into him yesterday. He was acting all weird and he was sweating. He looked scared.”

“Ah,”

“He started apologizing and saying things like how his whole existence was a mistake. I didn’t know what to say.”

“At least he knows.”

“Hey, he looked like he was about to faint. I didn’t know what to say to him,” She murmured as poured syrup on her pancakes, Minhyuk let out a laugh.

“You really don’t know what happened?”

“No.” She sighed at him and poured some syrup onto his plate too.

“Your Wonho oppa must have gotten to him,”

Chaeyeon paused, she looked up to meet his gaze.

“What?”

“You seriously have no idea what’s the connection between Wonho and Shownu hyung, huh?”

“I’ve always assumed both of them are just rich boys who like fixing cars?” She trailed off, Minhyuk laughed again and took another sip of his coffee.

“You know how our mothers are siblings, right?”

Chaeyeon nodded back, Minhyuk pulled up his sleeves before continuing.

“Samsung is owned by three major families.”

“I know that.” Chaeyeon started to grow impatient.

“You met the two eldest sons, and you’re fake dating one of them.” Minhyuk explained.

“Oh, okay. How does that….explain why director Ko looked like he was about to pee in his pants? You’re not making any sense.”

“Wonho just happens to be the one kind of assigned to the other side of Samsung. The side where no one really wants to mess with. I’m sure you’ve heard of the rumors.”

“I did, but…what?” Chaeyeon's eyes widened in realization. 

Minhyuk continued laughing and shook his head.

“I’m guessing Wonho’s headache should not be messed with. Ever.”

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++