005

You Got Me

 

 

 

“Let’s all be friends and not kill each other.” Wonho said softly as their food arrived, Minhyuk was grinning at his friend.

Chaeyeon sat across them, she was eyeing the food they ordered.

“There’s just four of us.” She murmured, a little confused of the number of bowls Shownu and Wonho were taking out from the bags. The guys had invited to eat dinner with them since it was already getting a bit late and her car was still not finished.

“We’re a little hungry today. Are you okay with this?” Wonho said as he took out a bowl of teriyaki chicken, Chaeyeon nodded back and picked up a pair of chopsticks.

Minhyuk opened a can of beer and started eating, Shownu scrunched his nose before taking the seat next to the girl.

“Why are you drinking? You’re supposed to drive me home.” She pointed out as she started eating, Minhyuk batted his eyes at her.

“Hire a fake boyfriend and he can drive you home.”

Wonho gagged, hiding his laugh. Shownu noticed how the girl was poking around the pickled radish on her plate.

“Or, I could hire a real assassin and have you followed.” She replied as she took a bit of her chicken, Shownu saw how she was transferring the vegetables to Minhyuk’s plate and then she took all his kimchi away.

“Minhyuk-ah,” She sighed as he helped himself to some soju.

“I can drop you off, Minhyuk mentioned you live near my parents’ place.” Shownu said before the two could go back to arguing again.

“See? It’s been settled! Let this oppa have his alcohol” Minhyuk said happily, Chaeyeon shook her head and finished her food. The girl was already in search for something sweet to end her meal with when she realized something.

The guys weren’t done eating yet, she glanced at Wonho briefly then at Shownu. Both were still chewing without really making much sound, she grew amused.

Shownu felt her gaze on him and he raised his brows at her.

“I’m going to get more water.” She said with a chuckle as she stood up, the girl made her way to the back of the shop and peered over the fridge.

“My cousin says a lot of crazy things,”

She almost jumped in shock, Shownu was leaning against the counter, with a pork skewer in hand.

“You don’t say.” She murmured as she poured herself a glass of water, he smiled in response.

“But, don’t listen to him.”

“I was about to do that, but thanks.”

“You don’t need a guy to make your problems go away.” Shownu said, Chaeyeon paused at his words.

“I mean, what I was going to say is~” Shownu’s eyes widened, realizing that he may have come off crass to the girl.

“I don’t need a guy so that things will get better for me. Point taken, Son Hyunwoo.” She said as she took a sip from her glass.

“That and, I’m sorry for the delay. Can you give us till tomorrow?”

“It’s alright. We have a spare back home.” She said, then a loud honk was heard from outside. Shownu’s brows rose and he looked at the windows.

“I asked my cousin to pick me up. You don’t have to drive me home.” She said as she grabbed her purse from the counter, Shownu blinked and walked after the girl.

“Make sure Minhyuk drives himself home, okay?” She said in a dry tone as he reached her, Shownu chuckled.

“Thanks for dinner.” Chaeyeon said as the silver BMW blinked its lights at them, Shownu was about to speak when the girl from the other day slid down from the front seat.

“Unnie, what~ Oh, hi!” Joori waved at the male, Chaeyeon was about to greet the girl but then a familiar male appeared from the driver seat, the girl halted so suddenly that she collided against Shownu.

“Chaeyeon,” Shownu caught her by the elbows, the girl’s forehead creased briefly.

“Joori, hi.” Chaeyeon blurted out, Shownu let go of the girl and looked at the newcomers

“Your car’s still sick?” Joori said with a smile, she gave Shownu a wave.

“Noona, long time no see.” Yugyeom walked to them, Chaeyeon nodded back at him.

“I can’t take it till tomorrow, but you didn’t have to come all the way here.” Chaeyeon spoke, Shownu paused, confused.

“Huh? Unnie you texted me saying that you needed a ride home.”

“I texted you again and told you that you don’t need to. You didn’t receive it?”

“I didn’t. Why? Change of plans?”

“Y—Yeah, he..he’s driving me home. Minhyuk got drunk so,…him.” Chaeyeon took a quick glance at Shownu, silently praying that he’d play along.

“Huh?” Joori was confused, Yugyeom glanced at Shownu before nudging the girl.

“He’s driving me home, that,” Chaeyeon looked around, she spotted a car parked just by the shop’s doors.

“His car, oh, a ’68 Mustang.” She said, distracted, as her eyes scanned the car’s exterior. Shownu’s brows rose up, surprised. He wasn’t expecting her to know what his car’s model was.

“She’s right, we were just leaving. You don’t have to worry about your cousin. Minhyuk’s inside too.” Shownu chimed in, Chaeyeon blinkted to herself, realizing what she was doing.

“Alright, uhm, I’ll see you then, unnie.” Joori murmured, Chaeyeon nodded back and watched the two get back to the car. Yugyeom honked twice before driving away from them, Shownu was already looking at the girl as she faced them.

“I can explain.” She blurted out, he chuckled and took out something from his pant pocket. The Mustang’s lights went on and the girl stared at him.

“I guessed right?”

“You did.” He said as he gestured for her to walk ahead.

“But, you don’t have to do this. I can take a cab and~”

“It’s fine, Chaeyeon-ah. Just get in.” He said as he opened the door for her, a smile formed on her lips before hopping in.

“I owe you one then.”

“Good, because I still need Minhyuk alive, so don’t kill him yet.”

 

 

 

Chaeyeon looked at her father, her brows went up.

“For how long?” She asked, she saw how her mom smiled to herself.

“About a month.”

“A month? I’ll be parentless for a month?” She said, stunned. The girl put her utensils down as she tried to process what she had just heard.

“Is the Caribbean coast really that long?” Chaeyeon questioned, the elders chuckled at their daughter’s words.

“It’s a cruise, darling. And, what is with this reaction? I thought you’d be please to have the house to yourself.”

“Eomma, I’m not fifteen.” She pointed out as she spread some jam on her toast.

“And, who’s going to defend me with your siblings set me up on dates again?”

“Aren’t you your own army, darling?” Her father intervened, then he shut his mouth as soon Chaeyeon glared at him.

“How could you leave me unsupervised?”

“You have Minhyuk, have him come over.”

“You just suggested that I invite a boy over without you two around.” Chaeyeon murmured as finished her coffee.

“It’s just Minhyuk. Besides, whatever your aunts say, you always know what to do. Don’t listen to them, daughter.” Her father stated while getting more bread for himself.

“Your father’s right. Just play along with them so that they’d shut up.”

“Do you think you could shut them up forever, eomma?”

“Chaeyeon.” Her father sent her a look, the girl chuckled and continued with her meal.

“Right, who dropped you off last night? Nice Mustang.”

“That was Minhyuk’s cousin, appa. He runs a shop near the office too. I left the Porsche with him.”

“Ah, that boy who lived abroad?”

“Yes, him. He has the Mustang’s interior cleaned up really nice, he retained the original details including the leather seats. But I think he had the suspension changed.” Chaeyeon commented, the matriarch smiled to herself as the two conversed.

“Really? It’s a ’68, huh? That’s pretty rare.”

“Exactly, better than that disaster of a Porsche you let me drive.”

 

 

 

Minhyuk stretched his arms as he stepped down from his car, he saw Shownu pull over right across him.

“What are we going to do here?” Shownu said, the older male had gotten rid of his tie and tossed it in the car, Minhyuk laughed.

“You only wore that because of the meeting, huh? You were never a fan of dress shirts.” He commented as they walked towards the elevator.

“Eomma gave me an earful on how to wear proper clothes at work.” Shownu shrugged as they got inside the mall.

“I’m here to get a peace offering.” Minhyuk announced as the machine went up, Shownu tilted his head at him.

“A what?”

“If I recall correctly, I almost died last night.”

“Right.” Shownu chuckled, the doors opened, and the two cousins stepped out the elevator. Shownu glanced around them as Minhyuk lead them to the department store.

“How did Yeon get home last night?”

“I dropped her off, her cousin came by, but she refused her.”

“Let me guess, the boyfriend was with her?”

“Do they not…like each other?” Shownu asked, the two males took the escalator, Minhyuk chuckled.

“Oh, the boy doesn’t think that. But Chaeyeon, hates him. Hates his guts, actually.”

Shownu nodded along and followed his cousin, the two reached the perfume area and Minhyuk started looking at the different brands’ offerings.

“You know, hyung, I hate how they’re all pressuring her. I don’t understand them.”

“Pressuring her?”

“That’s why I came up with the whole fake boyfriend scenario. Her aunts, and even some of her cousins, thinks it wrong that Chaeyeon’s single and she hasn’t introduced a guy to them.”

“They don’t know you?”

“I don’t count.” Minhyuk stated, Shownu chuckled and nodded.

“Chaeyeon’s always been independent, she likes being alone. And, she’s not the type to actually want a boyfriend because she thinks she needs one.”

“She’s…nice.” Shownu murmured, the latter smiled.

“She can be nice. But seriously, I don’t like what they’re doing to her.”

“Why just her? Did she…do something before?” Shownu asked as he picked up a bottle, he grimaced as he took a whiff.

“I don’t know. But, I really do think that the only way she could~”

“Maybe it’s because you gained weight, Yeon-ah. I mean, look at your cheeks. And, you’re pretty bold with that skirt, it makes your ankles look chubby.”

Minhyuk and Shownu both looked up.

“Isn’t that Chaeyeon?”

 

 

 

Chaeyeon pursed her lips as she entered her company’s boutique, the two sales associates greeted her with warmth.

“How are things?” She asked with an easy smile.

“Sales are good, president. And, a couple of celebrity stylists came by to purchase our latest line of cardigans. Our silk printed matching sets have become a hit too.”

Chaeyeon smiled and nodded.

“I had a feeling about that, what do the customer think about the cape dresses? I was worried that it wouldn’t sell well this summer.”

“You didn’t see? Sandara Park wore one of our dresses last week.”

Chaeyeon paused, a smile formed on her face.

“That’s true, ma’am. I have the photos saved at the office.” Her secretary filled in, Chaeyeon spoke with the staff for a while before leaving the store.

“You have quite a lot of errands today, president.”

“Yes, my parents are being teenagers and have decided to go on a trip. So, I’m stocking the house for myself.” She said with a chuckle, the male was about to speak when he saw a familiar face walking to them.

“Uh, president, it’s~”

“Chaeyeon-ah,”

Chaeyeon stilled and resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

“Why are you here? You’re supposed to be at that lunch by now.” The lady demanded, her tone getting shrill. Chaeyeon mentally sighed.

“I already said I couldn’t go, aunt. And, I have a lot of work piled up.” Chaeyeon tried her best to keep her cool, but her aunt scoffed at her reply.

“You always say that, you don’t even show up at our gatherings.”

Chaeyeon’s secretary could only look away, the girl’s aunt was always so particularly nosey with his boss.

“Aunt, I already told you this, but I simply do not have the time for meeting other people, I have never been interested in dating. I know this might offend you, but~”

“Maybe it’s because you gained weight, Yeon-ah. I mean, look at your cheeks. And, you’re pretty bold with that skirt, it makes your ankles look chubby.” The lady intervened, Chaeyeon could only stare back at her. Her secretary eyed the woman pensively, and then someone walked up to the girl.

“Chaeyeon, hi.” Minhyuk was smiling as he stood next to the girl, he looked at the elder before them.

“Aunt,” He said, keeping his tone casual.

“I see you’re still making Chaeyeon go to those blind dates, but, she will never attend one from now on.” He said in a cheery tone as he hooked arms with his friend.

“Really? You shouldn’t be encouraging her, Minhyuk-ah.”

“Aunt, our Chaeyeonie already has a boyfriend. Going to blind dates would be considered cheating.”

The lady paused; her brows went up in surprise. Chaeyeon froze, and she slowly turned her head to him.

“W—what?”

“Chaeyeon has a boyfriend already. He’s quite an impressive guy.” Minhyuk said with an infectious laugh, he caught Chaeyeon’s hand before she could pinch him on the back.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++