Hidden And Obvious Subtleties

In Plain Sight

"YAH! KIM YONGSUN!! YOU'RE LATE TO REHEARSALS!", she had to hold the phone a little way away from her ear as Wheein's shouting came bursting through the speaker into her sleepy ear. She had overslept and Moonbyul just kept rolling away from her when she tried to arouse her from her sleep. She groaned at having to leave the warmth and familiarity of their bed but today was the day,and if she missed this opportunity then she may never get the courage to do it again. She giggled as she climbed on top of Moonbyul and put all her weight onto her, the resulting yell was heard on the other end of the phone and Yongsun hurriedly hung up with a laugh punctuated by repeated apologies. Yongsun put her phone down on her side of the bed and bent over her wife, peppering her face with kisses and telling her that Wheein was very angry with her and most likely heard her. A short while later they were both dressed and ready to go, Yongsun picked up her car keys, Moonbyul picked up her apartment keys and locked the door as they went to the garage under the building to get in Yongsun's car and finally go to work. On the way to the studio, they stopped to get coffee for themselves and the members, just before they got out of the car, Moonbyul remembered their rings and took hers off, attatching it to her necklace and doing the same for Yongsun who sighed softly at where it had been moments before.

Hyejin was watching Wheein practice her key parts in the choreography from her seat on the floor, smiling as she watched, she knew she could get away with being a little erted with her best friend as long as she didn't go too far. Everyone in the group was touchy feely and they often regressed into fits of giggles mostly due to Moonbyul's greasiness. Speak of the devil, Moonbyul walked in with her usual cockiness and handed Hyejin a fresh coffee, she walked over to Wheein and did the same just as Yongsun arrived and took off her coat, she immediately started warming up, her coffee was left close to her coat as she apologised to the room at large for her lateness. It was odd, whenever Yongsun was late, she managed to arrive at almost exactly the same time as Moonbyul. Hyejin didn't want to speculate but the two had been close for a while now and working together for the past almost 6 years they had formed almost a relationship between themselves. She was just about to say this to Wheein as she walked over and slumped down exhausted next to Hyejin, but she thought better of it and got up to join Yongsun in practice. As she made eye contact with Yongsun's reflection, Hyejin flicked her eyes quickly to Moonbyul's and saw her staring, she couldn't be sure, but was she staring at Yongsun as much as a friend should or was this something else entirely?. Moonbyul must have noticed Hyejin stopping and staring because she suddenly came to join in with the group choreography, bringing Wheein with her and making sure not to stand too close to Yongsun. 

Should we do it now?, should we wait until we get home?, when is the right time to say 'Hey, we're married! surprise!'?. It took Moonbyul a second to realise she was staring at Yongsun, she quickly looked away and distracted herself with trying to join in the group choreography but it was too late, Hyejin's suspicious gaze met her own loving one and she inwardly cursed because she knew that hyejin was the one most likely to piece things together and she was straight talking enough to just ask too. She had to be careful, the last thing she wanted was for it to be blurted out and for Yongsun to be uncomfortable, so when Wheein announced she would order food from reception and Hyejin left to go to the bathroom, she sat at a respectale distance from her wife and asked what she wanted to do. "We should invite them over after practice and have a meal later on. That way we can be comfortable when we tell them and nobody will be around to hear if they react badly. What do you think baby?", Moonbyul loved calling Yongsun her baby, it wasn't ownership, it just warmed her heart to see her smile every time she said it. She grimaced a little after Yongsun nodded and continued in a hushed voice as Wheein re-entered talking animatedly with Hyejin about lunch, "I think Hyejin already figured out there's something going on, she had that suspicious look on her face earlier when she noticed me looking at you.". No more was said on the subject between Moonbyul and Yongsun and they made sure not to stay too close together so as not to arouse any more suspicion. The afternoon passed quickly and before long they were making plans to meet at Moonbyul's apartment in a few hours and the knot that had been loosely forming in Moonbyul's stomach was tightening immensely as she thought of the evening ahead.

Driving home, Yongsun was silent until she could no longer hold it in and without looking away from the road ahead, she asked Moonbyul in a slightly panicked tone, "Honey, what if they hate us and we have to disband and fans turn against us and our families disown us and..", she sighed and felt a tear roll down her cheek as she shot all of the questions she had been bottling up out at once. Moonbyul looked at her, all sincerity in her voice as she reassured Yongsun that whatever happens they will still have each other, she moved her hand to rest on top of her wife's thigh and gave it a soft reassuring squeeze as she told her to pull over so she could take over driving. Yongsun sniffed in an effort to draw the tears back in but they kept falling thick and fast and so she nodded to Moonbyul and pulled over as soon as she was safe to do so. Automatically, she got out and walked around to the passengers side, climbing in at the same time as Moonbyul got into the driver's seat, before anything else, she felt her warm hand reach across and wipe away the tears that were starting to dry on Yongsun's face. After that, the rest of the journey passed with Yongsun resting her head on Moonbyul's shoulders but saying nothing. They got out of the car in silence, Yongsun wanting to be comfroted the way that she would have been if Moonbyul was a guy but knowing that after a certain level of comforting, it would be too unusual to pass off as a 'concerned friend' type of thing.

All the way home, Hyejin sat silently, calculating the best way to tell Wheein. Her insides felt as though they might explode with the pressure of keeping it to herself but she wondered how to word what she wanted to say and what was the best time to tell her?. It took less time than she knew it usually did to get home, she guessed traffic must be light or else her distracted mind had stopped her from concentrating fully on where she was driving. They had all set out alone from the studio, with the exception of Moonbyul who took a ride in Yongsun's car because that's how she had arrived at the studio, leaving her own car in the garage to be fixed after her little accident a few weeks back. It wasn't unusual for the two to travel together but recently it seemed like they were spending more and more time together, or was it just Hyejin's exaggerated imagination?.  Spending a few hours by herself, she went over everything she wanted to say in her mind and was confident until she heard the buzzer sounding to let her know that the object of her affection and subsequent panic had arrived. For a second she contemplated telling Wheein there and then, but how would it look if Wheein reacted badly and they were left in an awkward silence when they arrived at Moonbyul's place?. Hyejin made the executive decision to confess her feelings while they were all together so the impact would be lessened and any fallout was contained. Feeling a little better, they passed thetime watching tv and reminiscing about their school days until the alarm on her smart watch sounded to tell them they had better set off for the meal.

It was a risque move and Yongsun's heart was beating fast as she thumbed the ring on her finger nervously, watching Moonbyul do the same out of the corner of her eye. They had agreed to leave the apartment as it was, this meant all photographs of the couple were left on show when they would normally be tactfully removed from view and the wedding rings stayed on. Subtlety had never been Moonbyul's strong point and Yongsun chuckled to think of it now. They hadn't really made a contingency plan for if their friends reacted badly but her wife's confidence made her feel they wouldn't need one, at least she hoped they wouldn't. It was an awkward few hours spent waiting in their pyjamas for Hyejin and Wheein to arrive, they had chosen to be comfortable rather than dressed up as it was night already. The doorbell chimed and Moonbyul shot a nervous look at Yongsun as she walked to the door, a quick peck on the cheek as she passed and the door was opened wide. Both girls walked in and laughed to see the pair looking so comfortable, they too had worn pyjamas but had their jackets over the top for warmth. The night wasn't meant to be a sleepover but they were all well aware how sleepy they became after eating and Moonbyul had said it would be ok for them to stay if they needed to. After much laughter and removal of outside clothing, the girls settled down and ordered food for the night, Hyejin was a big eater so they ordered extra for her. The meal was eaten casually but something in the air kept the girls a little more subdued than usual and at the end of it all, there was a palpable silence as Moonbyul and Wheein cleared the packaging and remnants of food away. Yongsun stood up and excused herself to use the bathroom whilst Hyejin looked around the room as though she had never been there before, in truth, she had never had much time when she had been there to look around thoroughly. Had those photos always been there?, wow, it looked like there was a lot of pictures of Yongsun with Moonbyul while there were only a few of herself and Wheein mixed in.

Yongsun stood in the bathroom for what felt like an age, just staring at her own flushed reflection in the mirror as her nervous fingers curled around the edge of the sink below. She closed her eyes to gather her nerves and whispered to herself that she would be ok and if she was worried then she had Moonbyul by her side. After a few more minutes alone, she heard the front door open and Moonbyul's muffled voice as she accepted the food and paid, closing the door again before Yongsun built up the courage to leave the bathroom behind. She fixed her smile and walked into the kitchen to grab herself a small drink of cold water, Wheein came to join her and asked for a glass of her own from the high cupboard, Yongsun had to fight the urge to giggle at her short friend as she passed the requested glass over. They stood in silence as they drank and eye contact was unintentionally avoided before Wheein finished her drink and asked in a hushed voice, "Are you ok unnie?, you're really quiet. Did you and Byul unnie fall out or something?.". Yongsun shook her head but reassured Wheein that she was ok, she had just overcome a headache and was saving her voice so as not to resume it's ferocity. When they arrived back in the living room a few miutes later, Hyejin was just finishing telling a joke to Moonbyul and the both of them looked around as their friends re-entered the room.

Nothing much happened after Wheein's questioning and the night wore on without any other kind of investigation. Everybody ate and felt considerably fuller, rubbing their toned stomaches as though they had gotten fat from all the food they had consumed. Deciding that it was far too late and way too dark to make them walk home alone, Moonbyul concurred that Wheein and Hyejin should stay over and so the latter went to the kitchen and returned with what looked like Moonbyul's entire stock of alcohol. And so started the most dangerous game of all with these four women who had almost as many secrets hidden within them, truth or dare..