Memories Of Her

In Plain Sight

Moonbyul stood exactly where Yongsun had left her, her wife had whipped in and out of the room so fast that she barely had time to register what was happening. Curiosity got the better of her and she opened the drawer where Yongsun had retrieved the envelope, rifling through the clothes, she felt the paper of another envelope and withdrew her hand, the thick paper in it. Reading aloud, she gasped a little but felt a small amount of pride that Yongsun had had the courage to do this, divorcing your parents was always a last resort but the mental strain her mother had been causing the last few years were affecting her health and she had taken action. When she heard the door open some 20 minutes later, she hastily stowed the envelope back in it's place and closed the drawer, walking out of the bedroom and smiling as she saw Yongsun walking towards her. Her happiness was shortlived however, as Yongsun's eyes streamed with tears and she wrapped her arms around a confused Moonbyul. "Honey, what's wrong? wanna go out for a date?, come on, let's go out, ok?", she didn't give Yongsun time to argue, she just shuffled with her arms still around her and slipped her shoes on, grabbing her keys and telling Yongsun to go wash her face. She emerged fresh faced 5 minutes later and they set off, walking in the warm sunshine, they linked arms and Moonbyul asked if Yongsun was ok, she nodded as they passed several shops where they were greeted warmly, Moonbyul stopped in front of a florist and told Yongsun to wait outside as she went inside, Yongsun looked around here and waited, her mind still on the park and that bench she had left her ex-mother on but she soon cheered up when she saw her wife step out of the florist and produce a single red rose to her. Taking it and sniffing it's sweet scent, she grinned and risked a small peck on her cheek to which she saw Moonbyul blush, they were in public after all.

They carried on walking and soon came to a crossing, stopping and waiting, they goggled as a car passed by and the horn blared loudly, window rolling down, they watched as Wheein's face appeared and she waved energetically at them from the passenger's seat. All they could do was gawp but they jumped as a car beeped them to cross, they hadn't noticed the light changing and now they did an awkward jog across the wide road and stopped on the other side. Hyejin had pulled her car over in the parking spaces near the crossing and she hopped out, tiny Wheein jumping dramatically and laughing at her own shortness. Yongsun seemed to brighten up a little more as she ran to hug her friends and Moonbyul smiled widely to see her in this mood, she waited her turn and hugged their friends warmly, Hyejin first and Wheein leaping up to wrap her legs around her waist. It was always like taking a small child along when Wheein was around, yes she was 21 years old but her soul was much younger. Moonbyul told them the plan and they apologised for interrupting, she laughed and said it was no trouble, they would just change the plans to include them all. Moving closer to Yongsun, Hyejin lowered her voice and said "I saw you in the park with your mother earlier, is everything ok Unnie?", she always showed concern for Yongsun and was always the one who could see right through her facade. Yongsun smiled a little and muttered back exactly what had happened and that Hyejin shouldn't worry, she was ok. 

The arcade was a big one but it was full of people and somehow felt a little cramped as they entered, it was Wheein's choice to come here and Moonbyul had reasoned with Yongsun that even though their date had been interrupted, they could still enjoy each other's company. Hyejin made a beeline for the karaoke booths in the back of the large main room and Wheein ran after her, it was the same every single time and Yongsun laughed to watch them go. Sliding an arm around her wife, she walked towards the cashier booth and exchanged some money for smaller change so that she could ride the motorcycle simulator for more than one go, Moonbyul did the same and followed her, climbing onto the bike next to Yongsun. "Watch and learn baby, here comes the pro.", she teased Yongsun often when they came to ride these arcade motorcycles since she actually had a license to ride one in real life and Yongsun rolled her eyes as usual as she readied herself to be beaten once again and have to endure Moonbyul's smugness for the rest of the day. Even though the place was packed, they could still hear their friends singing at the top of their lungs as they raced through a simulated 8-bit version of downtown Seoul, albeit with a lot less people. As they passed the finish line, the result as predictable as ever, Moonbyul punching the air in victory, Yongsun suddenly had a flash of very vivid memory and she saw the place as it had been during her youth, one key aspect was different, instead of her wife being there, her mother sat next to her. It was over in a flash, she was just about to reach out for her mother's hand when she snapped out of it and felt the sting of tears in her eyes as Moonbyul came over and pulled her into an embrace. Hyejin and Wheein were making their way over after another loud song and Yongsun wiped her eyes, not wanting their friends to see her upset, she looked at Moonbyul and smiled, she was so grateful to have someone who was always there for her that she felt as though she sometimes took her for granted and should let her know how much she meant to her. "Ok, who's ready to beaten at basketball?, you know you guys don't stand a chance against me, Moon-baller!", Hyejin laughed and Wheein playfully punched her unnie as they walked over to the basketball throwing game in the corner. Each of them had a game to themselves and they timed putting their money in the machine for exactly the same second, each coin dropping into the drawer and activating the overly cheesy commentary before the hammocked balls rolled down to them and they threw wildly in the direction of the net. Each of them had different ways of playing and different levels of skill, Moonbyul played like a professional, throwing precisely and consistently, Wheein threw slow and recklessly, Hyejin threw fast and frantically and Yongsun threw slowly and badly, the ball barely ever making it anywhere near the net. When each of their machines timed out, they checked the scores and playfully mocked each other's bad numbers, all except Moonbyul's who was obviously much higher and she entered a new level of gloating as they walked away. 

The brightness outside hurt their eyes for a second and they grimaced at it as they left, Moonbyul still gloating about her athletic prowess and the others doing their best to engage her in any kind of conversation or even eye contact. When they had arrived back at Hyejin's car, she hugged both Yongsun and Moonbyul tightly and climbed back into the driver's seat, Wheein squeezing the life out of her friends as she clambered back into the passenger side and settled herself, fastening her seatbelt and winding the window down to talk to Yongsun. "Yah!, Kim Yongsun!, cheer up will you, you're gonna depress us all!. Look at Moonie, she's so happy, make her give you some of her happiness if you have to. Really though, are you ok?, you look super sad and I worry about you so much. Hyejin told me what happened, i'm sorry it had to be like that unnie, I really am. Call me?". She smirked at this last remark, hearing how cliche she sounded and rolling her own eyes back to the 90s. As they drove off, Moonbyul turned to Yongsun and hugged her, she mumbled in her ear that they should go home and chill out and her emotionally exhausted wife nodded in agreement. It had been a long day for her and that split second memory kept replaying in her head all the way home. She didn't want to forget the woman who used to be her mother but if she was going to be upset by her childhood memories like this, maybe she should try.