Mum's The Word

In Plain Sight

Ever since the police had found a board to cover up the smashed window, the room had become almost gloomily dim, it definitely brought the mood down if they looked at it for long. Moonbyul busied herself with the cleaning in the immediate aftermath and she was acting as though nothing had happened, only mentioning it when there was a lasting silence or when Hyejin's name was brought up in conversation. Yongsun on the other hand had been wrestling with the guilt of the scrunched up A4 sheet of paper metaphorically burning a hole in her pocket. She hadn't told her wife about it and tended to change the subject if she felt it was getting too close to when she'd have to say something. Wandering into the bedroom under the guise of changing the sheets (which she ended up doing anyway), she idly thumbed the paper and held it in front of her, reading the letters slowly, her heart beating angrily fast at the bigotted wording and the overly religious reasoning for the person's hatred. A knock a the door made her jump and she tried to hide the paper but it was too late, Moonbyul entered the room a second later to ask if she could help with the changing of their bedding and her eyes flicked to the note. She scowled as she looked at Yongsun, who was frowning and visibly upset by it, holding her hand out, she gently took the note and read it, the anger rising up in her too. When she had finished, she turned to her wife and stepped closer, pulling her into an embrace and kisssing her cheek softly, talking in a low tone. "Don't worry babe, whoever wrote this is the one who has done something disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves. I see why you kept it from the police but please don't ever feel as though you have to keep anything from me, especially not things like this, ok?", she smiled a little as Yongsun turned to face her and buried her head on Moonbyul's chest. She could hear sobbing and felt her shirt dampen a little with tears but she held Yongsun close until she felt her body relax against her and the crying stopped. When they parted, she looked at Yongsun and gently wiped her tears from her cheeks, smiling a little, she gave her a squeeze and pecked her forehead. Yongsun sniffed a little as she gathered herself and stepped away, pocketing the note and pulling out her phone, she had a nasty feeling she knew who was behind this but she was loathed to admit the truth of it. 

For some reason, she still had her mother's number on her contact list, her thumb scrolling to find it and pausing in thought. Would it be a breach of her own restraining order to call her even for a few minutes to confront her?. Scrolling back up the list, she found her father's number and pressed the 'call' option, it rang a few times and for some reason Yongsun became very aware of the feeling of her wife's hands on her waist, usually a comforting feeling, as her father's voice filtered through the speaker of her phone, it felt as though he was there and could see them being cosy. For a split second she had the urge to move away from Moonbyul but her brain found reason and she stayed exactly where she was as she answered his greeting. "Appa, how are you?. Yes, i'm fine, thank you for asking. Yes, she is fine too. Appa, can I ask you something about Eomma?. You know about the restraining order right?", there was a short silence before he quietly and a little sadly answered that he did know about it, "..Well, there was an incident in Byulie's apartment a few days ago, one of our friends was injured and is in hospital because of it. Ne, she's ok Appa, don't worry. I'm fine too...but there was a note on the brick which broke the window, it was horrible to read but it felt like it was Eomma saying that stuff. Do you know where she was at the time?". Yongsun told him the time and day  of the incident and it took him a little while to think, he answered after a few moments that he thought his wife had been at her yoga class with her friends but he wasn't sure, Yongsun thanked him, asked him about his day, swore him to secrecy, told him she loved him and hung up the phone. Moonbyul had busied herself elsewhere as her wife was on the phone, softly kissing her cheek and making her silent way out of the bedroom. Standing on the spot for what felt like an eternity but was in fact only seconds, Yongsun sighed and felt her brain working in double time to figure out who the next suspect was, she couldn't shake the feeling that her mother was somehow involved, she couldn't explain it but it just felt like her mother's doing. 

The rest of the day was spent with her frowning or deep in thought, Moonbyul watched her and frowned herself a few times, if only she could read her mind and help her wife find the truth but in reality she had no idea where to start and all she could feel was sympathy that Yongsun had gone through this alone for so long before she had found out. The only question she had was if she hadn't walked in and seen the note, how long would she have been kept out of the loop with the whole note situation?. Shaking her thoughts clear, she lay in bed, waiting for Yongsun, who was taking her time in the bathroom, her mind racing as she closed her eyes. Yongsun shuffled into the room and turned the bathroom light off on the way, flopping onto the bed, she sighed for what must have been the millionth time and rolled into her wife's arms. "Moonbyul-ah, I have a crazy idea about who it might be..".