Unnecessary Gestures Of Friendship

In Plain Sight

Yongsun's eyelids fluttered open slowly as the bright sunshine burst through the newly opened curtains, she frowned and groaned as the nurse besde her checked the introveinous drip and removed it from the back of her patient's hand slowly, replacing the needle with a tiny ball of cotton wool fastened with surgical tape. She left quickly and was just out of the door when Moonbyul sidled in looking exhausted but smiling to see Yongsun awake at last. Sitting down, she reached her hand out and the warmth of her fingers met happily with Yongsun's. "The doctor says you can be discharged today naekko, the bill has been paid so don't worry, ok?". Her hamster cheeks puffed up with her smile as Yongsun's brain worked overtime to figure out who could have afforded the bill. Surely the news hadn't spread to the CEO, she couldn't bear going into the company building with all her colleagues giving her a wide berth, averting their eyes or otherwise giving her sympathetic nods and smiles. She was about to ask Moonbyul about it when a ball of energy whizzed into the room and stood next to her bed, looking for all intents and purposes as though she was a trainee doctor. Wheein picked up Yongsun's chart, examined it without a clue what she was reading, and began gently looking Yongsun over from toe to head. Hyejin laughed as she carried coffee for them all and reassured Yongsun that the doctors had said it was ok for her to have. Grabbing the cardboard cup between both her hands, Yongsun sipped the warm coffee as she sat up in bed, her dry throat welcome for the refreshment. Moonbyul hadn't taken her eyes off of her wife, as if she was worried that something would happen to her if she did.

The hospital staff had insisted on giving Yongsun a wheelchair and she sat frowning as Wheein pushed her to the exit. Moonbyul had stopped to sign Yongsun out as her next of kin and she came jogging a little to meet them as Yongsun stood up and stretched out of the wheelchair. Everyone got in the car and sat in deafening silence on the journey home which made the drive so uncomfortable that Yongsun got what she called a 'storm cloud headache', it sat on her brown and every now and then emitted a small jolt of pain like lightening. She closed her eyes for a split second to dull the pain and when she opened them again, three sets of concerned eyes were staring at her. "Guys, i'm fine..stop worrying, it's just a headache. Let's go inside ok?, food is on me, what does everyone want?", she tried to smile but another jolt hit and she worried that it looked a little sarcastic like a smirk. Everyone got out of the car in unison, Hyejin giggled as she saw it and Wheein shot her a puzzled look to which she shook her head and smirked. When they were inside, Wheein excitedly rummaged through the takeaway menus in the kitchen draw and withdrew her favourite, she sat down on the sofa and looked through it even though everyone knew exactly what she was going to order. When the food had been ordered and subsequently delivered (Moonbyul paid for it whilst Yongsun was in the bathroom), they all sat and ate in silence. It was as though a rule had been made without anyone agreeing to it, that they couldn't talk about what had happened but they also shouldn't say anything at all in Yongsun's presence. Hyejin fidgeted on the floor as Wheein sat on her lap to eat, she had the effect that a small child had on grown ups with the way she fit herself into usually crowded spaces but Hyejin never said a word against it. The storm headache that she had had earlier was trying to reform in the quiet but Yongsun didn't want to let it ruin her tteokbokki and so she cleared and asked Moonbyul, who was sitting right next to her on her immediate left: "Who paid for the hospital bills?..I didn't notice you leave me at all honey..". Her eyebrows knitted together and she saw Moonbyul glance at Hyejin before swallowing her food and looking like answering was the last thing she wanted to do.

"Ah..don't be angry babe..the uh..the bill was paid..by..uh..Eric...", her voice trailed off into silence and she looked down, fiddling with her fork in her leftover food. Yongsun gasped and Hyejin goggled as she watched her stand and throw her plate at the kitchen counter from where she stood, it shattered into a mix of large shards and tiny slivers and Wheein cowered into Hyejin as they tried to move away from the danger zone. Moonbyul stood up so fast that she felt a little dizzy and had to sit down again, her head in her hands for a second before the doorbell rang and they all shot different looks between it and Yongsun's fuming face. Hyejin was Wheein's hair comfortingly and Wheein was making herself as small as possible in the meantime. Moonbyul made sure to stand up slower this time and felt her fingers graze her wife's arm as Yongsun strode over to the door, listening, she said "Who is it?" in her calmest voice, her hand still balled into a fist. The room cringed collectively as the answer came in his voice. They didn't need to hear what he said, it was definately him at the worst possible time. Before anyone could react, Yongsun had opened the door and the visitor was knocked backward with the full anger behind her fist.

It took a few minutes for the proverbial dust to settle before anyone could make heads or tales of the situation but what they did know was that the person laying on the doorstep was not Eric at all. Hyejin gasped and covered , Wheein was still curled with her face against Hyejin's chest so she hadn't seen a thing, Moonbyul leapt over the sofa to help and brought a tea towel with her to soak up the blood as Yongsun apologised without stopping to breathe to her sister whose nose was slowly bleeding onto her white blouse. "Well..that'll teach me. Good punch yeodongsaeng!" she smirked as she stood up and was helped inside. The next few hours were filled with the Yong sisters re-enacting what had happened at the door, Moonbyul cradling Yongsun and laughing along with them as Hyejin and Wheein voluntarily cleaned up the smashed plate. If there were any hard feelings towards Eric Nam before, they were temporarily quelled now but the simple gesture he had made would sit in the back of Moonbyul and Yongsun's minds for as long as they had to endure his presence in their lives and for that reason alone, they hated him...just a little.