Just In Time

In Plain Sight

Sirens blared and the flashing blue lights filled the street as the ambulance arrived after what seemed an eternity. Hyejin, who had been resting her head against Wheein's shoulder, stood up so fast that Wheein almost jumped out of her own skin. She flailed her arms high above her head to signal the paramedics to the right address and stepped back as they pulled up to the kerb. Sniffing softly and wiping her nose on her too long sleeve, wheein stood up and followed everyone inside. Hyejin had taken it upon herself to guide them through the apartment and entered the bedroom first. Lagging behind, not really wanting to see her friends upset any more than she had to, Wheein diverted to the bathroom and clicked the lock into place behind her. Pressing her back against the door, she closed her eyes and covered her ears to block out Moonbyul's cries and the muffled instructions from the paramedics. Hot tears trickled down her cheeks as she stood there, it was a a while before anything happened and she tried to think of happier times but the darkness crept in with every cheerful memory. Sliding down the door, she jolted away from the hard wood as someone tapped on it. Uncovering her ears, she sniffed and heard Hyejin's soft voice ask her to open the door. Standing up shakily, she unlocked it and collapsed into her girlfriend's embrace crying loudly so Hyejin had to raise her voice a little. "It's ok honey..Unnie will be ok. They got here just in time, she's on her way to the hospital now but she's alive and semi-concious, so that's great right?. Oh baby, come here, don't cry.", Wheein's heart pounded hard in her chest and she tried a watery smile as she looked at Hyejin, the latter rubbing her back comfortingly.

"Miss Moon?...Excuse me Miss Moon?...You can go and see her now, she's awake.", the doctor's voice, though frustrating to hear as soon as she woke up, was soft and calm and his hand on her shoulder was reassuring. Moonbyul rubbed her eyes and thanked the doctor before standing up and making her way into Yongsun's room. Pulling the door closed behind her, she sniffed the last of her tears away and walked over to the bed gingerly. The sight of Yongsun just laying there with all those wires in her arms and the incessant beeping of the machine monitoring her heart was giving her a small headache as she sat herself in the chair beside the bed and grasped her wife's hand gently. With a croaky voice, Yongsun turned to look at her and a single tear rolled onto her pillow. They said nothing but there seemed no need for words, everything she hadn't put in her note could wait or not be mentioned at all. Standing up, Moonbyul pulled Yongsun's ring from her pocket, leaned over and fastened it onto her necklace. She let herself lay extremely lightly across Yongsun's body and felt her arms close around her, Yongsun's lips pecking the top of her head as she whispered in a raspy tone: "I'm so sorry my love..I never meant to hurt you..I just didn't want to live a lie anymore..but I couldn't see how anything good would come from us being open..not in this society..not even in our own company..I'm sorry..I love you so much.". Looking into her eyes, Moonbyul managed a weak smile and moved up a little so that their faces were inches apart, she could see every single one of Yongsun's eyelashes at this closeness.

Tapping softly on the door, Hyejin and Wheein poked their heads around the door looking concerned and a little inquisitive, Wheein's face was pink from crying so much and Hyejin's eyebrows knitted together as she looked from Yongsun to Moonbyul and slowly walked into the room holding hands. Before anyone knew what was going on, or could do anything to stop her, Wheein ran up to Yongsun and started softly beating her up whilst sobbing and shouting, "UNNIE HOW CAN YOU DO THAT TO US!?! DON'T DO THAT AGAIN OR I'LL BEAT YOUR GHOST UP AND..AND..AND..DON'T DO IT, OK?!..YOU SCARED ME UNNIE!!". Collapsing into the chair beside Yongsun's bed, she curled into a ball and promptly fell asleep. Moonbyul and Hyejin looked at each other, both trying not to laugh out loud and Yongsun was staring open-mouthed at the sleeping ball of tiny fury in the visitor's chair beside her. Hyejin stepped closer and leaned over Yongsun, saying quietly that she was glad she was safe but her sentiments were exactly as Wheein had shouted. Yongsun closed her eyes and sighed as she thought of the trouble she had caused and why she had resorted to this last desperate act rather than tell her friends how she was feeling. Before she knew it, when she opened her eyes again, it was dark, there was no sound in her room other than a soft snoring fro the chair beside her which had been vacated by Wheein a few hours ago and was now the makeshift bed of Moonbyul who slept under her jacket. Hyejin must have taken Wheein home and although she was glad of the alone time, Yongsun had to admit that she missed them already. She watched Moonbyul for a while until the soothing sight of her made her own eyelids heavy and she fell back asleep, something close to being glad they had found her just in time.