A Revelation And Relief

In Plain Sight

Moonbyul woke first and lay still, watching Yongsun for a while before getting carefully out of bed so as not to wake her, she pecked her on the cheek and left the room, clicking the door gently behind her. Making her barefooted way to the kitchen as her stomach growled, she almost jumped out of her skin and was grateful that she hadn't been holding anything fragile at that moment becuase it would definately be smashed on the floor right now. There, at the tiny kitchen table, stood her mother. She was used to getting up early, having done it all through her youth to help her own parents with their daily chores so she looked refreshed and awake, unlike her drowsy daughter. Moonbyul smiled at her and opened the fridge to grab a few things her mother had pre-cooked and stored in plastic tubs, setting about to cook a little breakfast for herself, her mother soundlessly made them both a fresh cup of coffee and watched from her seat. When she was finished, Moonbyul sat opposite her mother and began to eat only when her mother had taken some of the food and started to eat for herself, she didn't know why but she adhered to this tradition and only a few others. Since it was only a small meal, it was over quickly and Moonbyul rose to clean the dishes, returning to the table to wipe it clean. Her mother reached for her wrist to stop her and said in a low voice, "Byulyi, we need to talk..will you take a walk with me?", her voice was pleasant and she was smiling softly, in the same way she did when a person she knew had passed on. Moonbyul's heart did a somersault of fear, the last time her mother had wanted a 'chat', it had been to tell her a family member had passed, so she was instinctively nervous at the thought but agreed to the walk all the same and smiled back at her. 

Their walk took them only in circuits around the garden, but it was at a slower pace than usual and the crisp morning air was a little chillier than they had anticipated so the walk felt longer. Moonbyul decided not to start talking and let her mother speak first, they had linked arms and for the first time in a long while, she truly saw her mother's ageing beauty. "I..I wanted to talk to you alone because it's a little bit sensitive. You know I love you just the same as I love your sister's don't you?. I try to keep out of your pesonal life because you're a fully grown woman now and it's your life to live but I see the way you look at her. The way you make sure she gets things first. The way you smile so brightly whenever she's in the room. It's the way your father and I used to look at each other. It's the way anybody in love looks at the object of their affection. I know it's not what society wants from you or her, but as your mother, I only want your happiness. I won't pretend to understand exactly why your body and soul has decided this is the way you will love, but I will not be the one to tear your heart out with hatred either. This is your thing to tell your father and indeed anyone else you wish to tell, just tell me one thing.. are you truly happy my darling?.". They were facing each other now, both of Moonbyul's hands were grasped gently in her mother's and she felt happy tears roll down her cheeks as she nodded that she was happy. They embraced briefly and pulled apart only when her mother wiped the tears from her daughter's cheeks and cradled her face lovingly. "I think you're wanted, your sweetheart is waiting just inside the door.", her mother chuckled and they broke apart, Moonbyul lagging behind to wipe the rest of her tears. She watched as her mother re-entered the house and embraced Yongsun warmly, it was a different kind of hug and she knew that Yongsun had felt it too because she wrapped her arms around Moonbyul's mother to prolong it. When breakfast was over, Moonbyul and her mother having already eaten and so not eating another meal, every family member left for various reasons, Seulgi leaving to meet her boyfriend in town and Yesol leaving for school. Her father had retired the year before and so he pottered around the house for a while before collecting his fishing gear and waiting outside for some other men from the village to pick him up for his day out. The only people left were Moonbyul, Yongsun and Moonbyul's mother, they sat in silence until Yongsun reminded her wife that they had an appointment later that afternoon. "Sooo...how long have you two been dating?. Have you gotten engaged yet?..Can you get married in this country?...Oh i'm sorry to ask so many questions but i'm so happy my Byulie has found her soulmate at last, I want to know everything!", There was a glint in her eyes as she asked all these questions of Yongsun but she was ne to this world and she really did want to know these things from someone who would give her an honest answer. Moonbyul chuckled at her mother's enthusiasm and took the attention from Yongsun, her mother turning to face her, listeneing intently.

"Eomma, you're really too much, my poor Yongsunnie is flustered now!", she laughed as she said it and Yongsun smiled to see her and her mother happy in their giddiness. "Ok, ok, i'll answer: We started dating a few years ago and now we're married..", she let her voice trail off but somehow Yongsun had gotten the message and they both, in perfect synchronisation, showed thier necklaces with their wedding rings on. Clapping her hands like an excited toddler, Moonbyul's mother collected herself and moved to hold one hand of each of the girls, she was smiling broadly and they felt the love eminate from her as they sat there. Moonbyul's father arrived a few hours later, just efore the girls were due to leave and he looked between them all questioningly. His wife hadn't yet put the breakfast table away and he saw them all playing a game of yut in the front room. Kicking off his boots, he smiled to see them all laughing, his eldest daughter had inherited his competitiveness and he was secretly very proud to have passed it on. It was a second before anyone seemed to notice him and it was Byulyi who exclaimed that he was welcome to join in. He sat down and felt his wife's hand on his back, rubbing it soothingly as he took his turn and laughed at the result of his throw. When there was a lull in the noise, he looked from his daughter, to her friend and noticed their closeness, a simple touch he had once had for his wife, a sideways glance into her eyes for longer than usual, he had seen such things the night before but thought nothing of it. The words he chose next would make 2 of the 3 women blush and his wife sit open mouthed but he said them all the same, a mischevious grin settling on his face as he said casually:

"So Byulyi, when did you make an honest woman of Miss Kim?".