Mother Knows Best

In Plain Sight

Yonghee called in to see how they were doing and she stayed overnight in the spare room. It was usually a pain to have her drop by because she was so much of a party animal but today she was calm and acting her age for once, not like someone a decade younger. She had called Yongsun on her mobile and asked politely if it was ok, the younger sister was confused at her manners and said that it was ok in an enquiring tone. Yonghee thanked her and hung up before she had a chance to ask why she wanted to visit all of a sudden. Moonbyul, as predicted, was ok with the arrangement, she had formed a sisterly bond with her sister-in-law and they often hung out without Yongsun. Yonghee was the only family member from either side that knew of their relationship and as a consequence was sworn to secrecy around others. So far she had done very well but she had a knack for dropping subtle hints and making innuendos which cut close to the knuckle. One such occassion had involved Moonbyul's younger sister and they had both scowled at her until she quietened and hinted no more. Moon Seulgi was a quiet girl who had never had a date in her life and was approaching the age where most girls would be harrassed by their mothers about giving them grandchildren. Moonbyul felt sorry for her but at the same time felt a guilty glee at the fact her mother's attention would be taken by trying to find her sister a husband instead of the hopeless case she had become. A knock at the door a few hours later and Yonghee appeared, she was wearing an oddly formal outfit and Yongsun's suspicious nature peaked as she let her in. "Why are you dressed like that?, is there something I should know Unnie?". She had stood between her sister and the living room and blocked her entry so she had to answer. Sighing as she pushed gently past, Yonghee caught sight of Moonbyul and grinned, waving as she made a beeline for her and hugged her tightly. Yongsun watched and scowled at her sister's lack of response, silently planning to ambush her every second they were alone together. 

They all spent a pleasant morning together and the afternoon lulled into a laziness where nobody wanted to do anything more than just lounge on the sofa and eat and possibly sleep. "So...mom's been asking about you Yongsun..you should visit before she comes here. You know I haven't told her about you guys but you're not gonna last forever being 'single' and 'not finding the right man', she's gonna know something's off sooner or later. I'm serious sis, she asked if she could come today but I said you were out of town until next week because of work, you're welcome.". Closing her eyes again, she grinned maliciously and added, "She said you looked cute with Eric, you should marry him for real.". Moonbyul sat up quickly and was just about to throw something at Yonghee when she looked over at her wife who shook her head and looked thoroughly annoyed at her sister's statement. 

Later, when Yonghee had gone out for what they now knew was a date she hadn't wanted their mother to know about, Moonbyul pulled Yongsun into a cuddle on the sofa and they kissed slowly, lovingly in fact. She tried to let Yongsun know how much she loved and cherished her just in the kiss but in case she didn't know, she whispered sweet nothings in her ear when they broke apart to breathe. The door knocked just as they had gotten up and Yongsun was leading Moonbyul to the bedroom, it couldn't be Yonghee because they had given her a key for whenever she needed to come back, they froze on the spot and wondered who ti was in silence. "Yonghee, are you there?, it's mom. I know you said Yongsun isn't here but I need to see you to talk about her..Yonghee?", Moonbyul looked wide-eyed at Yongsun and for some reason felt herself silently start to giggle at the awkward situation they were in. Yongsun flushed and tip-toed into the bedroom, breaking her touch with her wife. Moonbyul closed the bedroom door as she watched Yongsun disappear into the bathroom and the lock clicked behind her. Gathering herself, she looked around the room, hiding photgraphs of them as a couple, the ring sliding off of her finger and being placed on the chain around her neck once again. She sighed a little sadly at the thought of having to hide once more who she really was, as she went to open the door and admit Yongsun's mother with a smile. She was a stern woman but only when she needed to be, for example, she had known Moonbyul a long time now and so she had qualms about embracing her like a third daughter, Moonbyul smiled in the thought that she technically was her third daughter now and had been for a few years without her knowledge. 

After a few minutes where they both sipped tea and smiled politely not saying a word, Moonbyul stood up to collect both newly emptied cups and was just putting them in the sink to be washed when the woman who had remained silent all this time, spoke. "Moonbyul, surely you don't live in this big apartment with just my daughter?. What about a suitor, is there nobody?, a handsome woman such as yourself must be beating men away daily. I know my Yongsun is enamoured with that young man from the tv show, what was his name..?..E..Eddie?..No..Eric!, yes Eric. He's such a sweet boy and so perfect for her too. Oh I wish she'd marry him in real life, don't you think she should?". Moonbyul gripped the counter with her back facing the living room and had felt her cheeks grow hot as she listened, all the while she had been holding her tongue at the incessant noise of her mother-in-law but she was finding it difficult and had to close her eyes for a second to collect herself before responding politely, still facing away and through gritted teeth, that she didn't really have an opinion on the matter. She washed the cups quickly and excused herself to use the bathroom, Yongsun's mother sat looking through her phone and nodded absent-mindedly without looking up from the screen. Closing the door behind her and resting her back against it for a moment, she closed her eyes and felt tears prickling at her eyes as Yongsun emerged from the bathroom and pressed herself gently against Moonbyul who wrapped her arms around her and breathed in her scent, it was subtle but familiar and all the anger she had felt moments ago was melting away. Yongsun reassured her that everything would be ok and that she was grateful for her taking the flack on her behalf, her lips soft on Moonbyul's neck and she parted after a few minutes with a last squeeze of her wife before hiding herself once more in the bathroom.

When she re-entered the living room, the silent atmosphere sliceable with a machete, Yongsun's mother looked up and put her phone away. She thanked Moonbyul for the tea and said she must go to meet Yonghee at a nearby cafe. Moonbyul's relief at the visit almost being over was palpable and she smiled broader than ever whilst escorting her mother-in-law to the door, opening the door for her like a doorman from a fancy hotel. Just before she left, she turned and left a few parting words, much to Moonbyul's annoyance. "It was lovely to see you again Moonbyul but please eat more, you're so skinny!. Oh and tell Yongsun that I dropped by and that if she knows what's good for her she'll call him, Eric, and make a date. You know, mother really does know best in these matters at the end of the day.". She hadn't meant it in a rude way but Moonbyul's heart dropped as she heard the words and it took all her strength not to slam the door in her face, closing it gently after her.

She walked back through the living room just as Yongsun opened the bedroom door and emerged sheepishly, mumbling to hereslf all the while in a mocking tone: "Mother knows best in these matters..".