Justice Served

In Plain Sight

"Baby calm down!, what's wrong?", Yongsun grabbed hold of her wife and pulled her close, there were tears streaming down her face and she was beating the pulp out of the sweet pork bun dough. There had been no obvious warning of her mood change and she had gone, in a second, from happily kneading the dough to punching it furiously. When she held her at arms length, she looked at her and wiped the tears that lingered on her cheek. Moonbyul sniffed and held her tight, Yongsun rubbing a hand up and down her back in comfort, she waited for a little while until the crying stopped and frowned as Moonbyul pulled away a little. They rarely needed to say anything to know when the other was done with the comforting process, just the way they moved within each other's orbit was enough. Once she had collected herself, Moonbyul carried on with the preparation, she had decided to make the buns as a treat for Yongsun and they needed the inside to be cooked whilst the dough was proving so she enlisted her wife's help to do that job. When everything had been prepared and was waiting for assembly, they both set out the ingredients and spent some time stood side-by-side as Yongsun rolled out the dough, her claim to be the muscle of the group wasn't for nothing after all, and Moonbyul portioned the pork before she moved across and closer to Yongsun to assemble them. They finished the preparation and put the buns in the oven, moving back to the counter to clean up the mess they had made, Yongsun feeling a jolt of cheekiness and picking up a small amount of flour from the counter, she threw it at Moonbyul who yelled and laughed at the same time. It was the icebreaker they had needed and a furious flour fight ensued, each woman flinging the white powder at each other without remorse. When they were at last exhausted, they slid down the counter and breathed heavily, laughing as they did so, Moonbyul having the last move as she threw a small handful of flour and watched it fall just short of Yongsun onto the floor. 

That afternoon, they ate the buns on the sofa whilst lounging lazily, Moonbyul let Yongsun lay against her as they ate and the tv played an old episode of I Live Alone, it was the christmas special and they watched with only mild interest. Yongsun's phone rang and she put it on loud speaker, it was Hyejin with Wheein in the background, she sounded tired but otherwise happy, they spoke animatedly about the awards ceremony and whilst Moonbyul was happy for them both, she didn't really want to be a part of the conversation and so excused herself to collect the mail which had just arrived. Normally there wasn't much and it consisted of mostly junk mail asking her useless questions about insurance plans for her life in her 50s or it was a coupon page for places they never went to. It wasn't until she saw the blank white of one envelope that she frowned a little and thumbed it open. Pulling the paper out, she read it quickly and put a hand to in shock, there was no name from the sender but she had a good idea who it could be as she read and re-read it. Silently, she crossed the room and dropped the letter onto Yongsun's lap. Her wife looked up at her and quickly hung up the phone, picking the letter up and reading it for herself, she turned crimson and her nostrils flared in anger, in a very familiar cursive font, she read the words over and over:

"Moon, leave my daughter alone and mind your own business. I do not care if you choose to live this ungodly way but you will not drag my daughter into this depravity any longer. Hell is the only place for you to rot in and she will not be joining you!. Even if you repent, God will never forgive you, society will never forgive you for taking my daughter from me and I will make sure everyone knows what you are. If you do not leave my daughter alone, I will have no option to call the police and report you for ual assault amongst many other crimes you have committed by keeping her in you gross ual den of an apartment.".

Before she could say anything of comfort, Moonbyul had marched into the bedroom and slammed the door behind her, Yongsun scowled at her mother's letter and threw it with disgust into the bin. Minutes later, she called her mother to arrange a meeting, her tone of voice kept calm and her pretence being that she just wanted a catch up. They arranged to meet at the local park in half an hour and Yongsun dressed quickly, pulling on her jeans and a hoody because she really didn't want to spend more time than she had to with the woman. Moonbyul watched her as she sped past and her own anger diminished as Yongsun told her what she was doing. Grabbing an envelope she had had stashed in a drawer they never used, Yongsun put it in her bag and left, pecking Moonbyul on the lips lovingly as she went. She made the journey to the park in half the time and sat on an empty bench for 10 minutes before her mother arrived and sat next to her. Yongsun felt the anger rise up in her and had to squash it down as she looked at her mother, the latter trying to make conversation as she sat next to her daughter. People passed by, some cyclists, some children with their grandparents and some curious dogs sniffing around their legs before apologetic owners moved them on but Yongsun sat in silence and slowly produced the envelope without saying a word. She held it for a minute and passed it across to her mother, standing up, she finally looked at her, tears spilling down her cheeks. As she walked away, her mother opened the envelope and withdrew the letter inside, reading it and feeling shock rise in her, how could her own daughter do this to her?.

The paper read as follows:

Notice from the Seoul Police Department,

This is a document to state that Miss Kim Yongsun has legally divorced their mother, Mrs Kim.

This document is only valid against the named party and no other person(s). In the event of contact between the parties in which the first named is referred to by the second named as being a biological relation, the first named party may contact the police department and request action to be taken against the second name party. Please keep this document safe as it may be used in any potential court proceedings brought against the second named. 

Kim Changryong, Commissioner General.