Friends Will Make It Better

In Plain Sight

The letter came in the post the next day and Moonbyul read it over Yongsun's shoulder:

'Dear Miss Kim, We are delighted to inform you that you have been nominated, along with Mr Eric Nam, for an award at the  2016 MBC Entertainment Awards in the category of "Best Couple" for your appearance on "We Got Married". Please find enclosed, a ticket for yourself and an extra ticket for a plus one of your choice. Yours sincerely, Mr Kim Jong-Guk, CEO.'

As they finished reading, their eyes met and they grimaced, Yongsun's eyebrows furrowed and she threw the envelope onto the counter and pulled Moonbyul into a cuddle and pecked her lips softly. She knew it had affected her wife more than she would say but she also knew that if she calmed her down quickly, the situation was manageable. Half-hearted arms flopped around her waist and a pout spread across Moonbyul's lips as she sulked, just when they were back on track, something always happened to derail them and she was sick of it. Finally she hugged Yongsun back and felt herself sigh, it was a deep sigh and she felt hands massage her back comfortingly, her voice was quiet as she apologised. "I'm sorry to be like this honey but it seems like nobody wants us to be happy. I know they don't know our reality but if I see one more thing about you and that absolute cretin of a man, I might scream. I just love you so much and it feels like everyone wants to take you from me.". Yongsun had to stifle a giggle at how pathetically sappy her wife sounded as she rocked them from side to side as though she were trying to get a baby to sleep. Running a finger through Moonbyul's hair, she caught a lock of it that had tried to fall over her face and tucked it behind her ear. They walked to the sofa and sat down, Yongsun turning on the tv, her arm around Moonbyul's shoulder. A few minutes into a new show which she had happened to flick onto, she got up under the pretence of grabbing a snack and crossed the room to grab the envelope. Turning it upside down, she felt the soft thud of the two tickets as they fell into her hand, looking them over, she placed the envelope and her ticket back on the counter and took the 'plus one' ticket back over to the sofa. When she got there, she moved in front of Moonbyul and knelt down on one knee, holding the ticket in front of her, she asked in a serious tone.

"Mrs Moon Byulyi, will you do me the honour of being my plus one at this stupid awards show as I accept this invitation for an unnecessary award which I have to share with the most disgusting humanbeing on the planet?.". When she had finished, she smiled and saw to her surprise, that her actions had gotten her the desired effect and Moonbyul was smirking as she said yes. The rest of the day was long but in the nicest way, Moonbyul's mood lightened considerably and she suggested they invite their friends over for drinks and games, Yongsun agreed and before long, the door opened and Hyejin walked in, Wheein following with the largest crate of beer any of them had ever seen. Moonbyul stood up quickly to take it from her and set it down on the kitchen counter, opening the box, she extracted 3 bottles and popped the tops off, handing one each to Hyejin and Wheein, the last one she would share with Yongsun because she knew her wife was a lightweight drinker and she didn't want her to get drunk too quickly. Once the beers were sipped and Yongsun had located their copy of Mario Kart, she set it up and they took it in turns to play, split into 2 teams (Hyejin and Wheein, Yongsun and Moonbyul of course), they whiled away the hours laughing and joking at their varying levels of competitiveness as they drank deep into the night. Wheein, they found out was a whizz at the game and managed to win every one of her races easily, it may have helped that she had the highest alcohol tolerance level too because she ended up as the only one still fully cohesive when they had decided to finish playing at about 1am. 

The sunlight was offensive and Hyejin swore at it loudly enough to jolt her friends awake, she had gotten up to go to the bathroom and had caught the full effect of it through the big living room window. Wheein had been up for a while and was sat curled in a tiny ball on the sofa, she had turned the tv on but was watching it on mute with subtitles so she didn't wake anyone. She scowled at her girlfriend and threw a cushion at her for her outburst. Moonbyul rolled over and continued her roll until she felt herself bump softly into Yongsun who was smiling at her, they kissed slowly and broke apart only when Wheein's face popped over the back of the sofa and she told them to get a room. Hyejin emerged from the bathroom and frowned, her hair was messy and had fallen on her face so that she looked like the girl from the horror movie 'The Grudge', Wheein giggled and squealed in mock fear as she jumped up off of the sofa and started sorting her sleepy girlfriend's hair out. Hyejin pouted and Wheein pecked her lips repeatedly until she smiled. Hyejin smirked, pulled Wheein closer and began undressing her right there and then until a voice from the floor yelled: "YAH! Ahn Hyejin, take it into the spare room!" and she picked Wheein up, carrying her as though she weighed nothing, into the spare bedroom and kicking the door closed behind her. 

Climbing onto the sofa, Moonbyul pulled Yongsun into an embrace and they snuggled to watch a romantic movie whilst their friends giggled and made other noises in the spare room. The volume on the tv went up a click every time they heard a moan and they wished they had headsets for the tv. They were well into the afternoon when Wheein emerged in Hyejin's t-shirt to make herself a drink and she grinned when she saw her friends laying fast asleep on the sofa, snuggled close. Hyejin walked out of the bedroom a few minutes later and Wheein signalled for her to be quiet as she pointed to Yongsun and Moonbyul. Hyejin nodded and made a fuss of tip-toeing across the room to which Wheein rolled her eyes and silently giggled. They sat on the stools at the kitchen island and watched as their friends slept, sitting close enough that their shoulders touched and the warmth passed between them soothingly. It was a little while before anyone on the sofa stirred and it was a groggy Yongsun who lifted her head to see Wheein staring at her, Hyejin had evidently left for food and the apartment was a little quieter without her. When Moonbyul sighed in her sleep andpouted, Yongsun chuckled and so did Wheein, she sat up and grinned sleepily as she realised she had been heard. Wheein waited a moment longer before deciding it was probably the right time to get dressed and so she left them alone whilst she made her way to the bedroom and closed the door. Moonbyul got up with Yongsun and led her by the hand to their bedroom, they dressed as quickly as they could and left the room to clean up the living room, empty beer bottles and food wrappers had been left because they had all been too drunk to tidy them away but now they were deposited into the bin and the room was given a generous spray of air freshener. When Hyejin returned some hours later, Wheein took the food from her and dished it up. They all sat around the kitchen island and ate as much as they felt like eating and Moonbyul looked between her friends and her wife, thinking that if it wasn't for them, she would have gone completely mad.