What Are Sisters For?

In Plain Sight

Yonghee smirked as she walked sleepily from her room to the kitchen, the apartment was silent so the moan from her sister's room was echoing as she passed. Making sure to be as loud as possible in the kitchen, she started frying eggs and bacon for them all as a key turned in the front door's lock and Wheein bounced in followed closely by Hyejin, who said happily "Ah Yonghee unnie! good to see you!".The energy they both exuded latched onto Yonghee and she smiled as she served them breakfast, Wheein sat down and snarfled the whole plate before Hyejin could even get close to hers. Yonghee and Hyejin both giggled as the older woman put a pot of coffee on to boil and started cooking more food. Wheein was finishing her third helping of food and feeding Hyejin some, when Moonbyul emerged from her room and greeted them in a sleepy tone. All three of the people sat around the kitchen area exchanged a look and giggled but Moonbyul didn't seem to notice, she sloped off to the bathroom and locked the door behind her just as Yongsun entered the living room looking considerably more awake and sniffing the air hungrily. A plate slid across to her as she crossed to a free stool next to Wheein who only seemed to have eyes for Hyejin as she wiped a smudge of food from her lover's lip. They all looked at the bathroom door as it opened a few minutes later, the latch clicking quietly. Moonbyul emerged and smiled weakly, she looked like someone who was about to spill a terrible secret and she flopped into the seat next to Yongsun who reached an arm around her and pecked her on the cheek. Yonghee frowned at the situation as she thought how best she could help, turning her back on the group, she started washing the breakfast dishes in silence, her mind racing.

Four doors slammed into place as each member left Yongsun's car an hour later. The emptiness of the car park on a weekend meant that it sounded not unlike gunfire with the echo of empty spaces all around. Yongsun felt a small tug on her arm and looked around to see wheein looking at her, the other two walked ahead and entered the lift, holding the door for the other two. Wheein tugged on Yongsun's finger and said softly, "Remember, it's just for today..", she smiled softly as she looped Yongsun's necklace through the ring and fastened it around her neck, her friend's eyes glistened over and she looked tearful as they resumed their walk and entered the lift too. Moonbyul momentarily entwined her fingers in Yongsun's as the lift whirred upwards and only released them when the doors clanged softly open again. Hyejin was side-eyeing Wheein who was trying her best not to cover her in kisses, she was always so energetic in the morning and Hyejin surpressed a giggle at the sight of her excitable little Wheepup. They entered the studio where they would be meeting the crew and male actor for the music video and took their usual seats across from the director and usual suspects, each standing to bow in greeting and smiling in a friendly way. Hyejin noticed two empty seats in the middle of the group and wondered who one of them belonged to, of course one was for the male actor but surely this meeting wasn't CEO worthy?. She raised an eyebrow in thought and wheein elbowed her inquisitively, but she shook her head dismissively and played with her nails absently.

What felt like an eternity passed before anything happened, they passed the time mostly in silence, looking around the room. Every now and again someone would comment on a topic and everyone would chat until they could find nothing more to say on the subject and the room fell silent again. Yongsun couldn't remember the last time she had had to maintain a polite smile for so long, her cheeks hurt a little. An inaudible sigh of relief filled the room as the door opened and they all stood to greet the male actor, he sat down after saying hello in English. Again the room fell into the uncomfortable silence, only broken by the odd question and answer rally between the staff and the new man in the room. Yongsun gripped Moonbyul's hand under the table and was thankful it was opaque, she needed to support her wife at this time and he wasn't helping by being sat exactly across from them. Moonbyul smiled and looked at Yongsun and she felt that familiar flutter inside her that she got every single time she looked at her. Some people call it butterflies but Yongsun thought that only fit the 'butterflies in the stomach' saying and her 'butterflies' liked to rest firmly around her heart. Once again the door opened and a woman walked in, she bowed politely to everyone and took the final empty seat, as she looked up, clearing her long hair from her face, Yongsun gasped. She felt Moonbyul's grip tighten a little for a second and felt her own mouth fall open. Wheein and Hyejin both grinned and said happily: "Yonghee unnie!". Yongsun's sister was here, at her place of work, but why?. Her brow furrowed a little as she looked into her sister's eyes, remembering last second to close again. Before anyone could say anything, the music video director cleared his throat and started the meeting, "Please everyone welcome our lead costume designer for the video, Miss Kim Yonghee. Now, shall we talk about the concept for this music video?". Yongsun didn't hear anything else he said because she was so happy to see her sister, the one person she needed at this moment, aside from her wife. She smiled and nodded and laughed along with the others, all the time amazed at how little she cared about this man across from her who she would have to fake feelings for and who she would have to watch being romantic with her woman. her phone buzzed and she looked down at the new text, it was from Yonghee, who, as she looked up for a second, was smiling at her reassuringly. Four little words glowed up at her and she felt a happy tear well up in her eye: "What are sisters for?".