False Niceties

In Plain Sight

Somehow the buzzer at the door was especially irritating today and Moonbyul felt herself grit her teeth as she heard it, she hadn't realised that she was gripping the coffee pot a little too tight until she took a deep breath and put it back on the counter, having poured herself and Yongsun a fresh cup to take to bed. Hyejin had left for her parent's house and Wheein was at the store picking up essentials for the couples camping weekend that she had arranged for the both of them. Of course it wasn't called a couple's camping weekend but the site was a notorious spot for young couples to spend a few days together in a tent and they had named it so even though they would have to keep to the pretence of going as friends. When Wheein had told them all about it, she had physically rolled her eyes at the 'as friends' part and Moonbyul sniggered to remember it now. The tray was loaded with breakfast things, the usual array of toast with side dishes of butter and various jams, bowls of dry cereal next to a jug of milk and freshly cut fruit. Joining the cups of coffee to the almost full tray, Moonbyul had just lifted it off of the counter when Yongsun bustled past her looking hassled but as pretty as ever. "But honey, i...we were...breakfast...?..", her words were exasperated and lost as her wife sped around the counter and gave her a quick peck on the lips, Moonbyul noticed that her wedding ring was once again on the necklace around her neck and her heart sank as she replaced the tray in it's former position. The front door was opened and closed with an unnecessary snap behind Yongsun and the slight chill from the hall beyond sent a shiver down Moonbyul's whole body.

Wheein keyed in the code for the front door and let herself in, of course she was one of only four people who knew Moonbyul's front door code but it always felt odd to walk in when nobody was there. Her shopping bags weighed a lot more than they had done as she walked around the store and she cursed as her arms sagged whilst she backed inside and dropped them onto the counter, the door softly closing behind her. Frowning as she saw the full tea tray but no sign of the apartment's occupant, she put everything she had bought away in it's correct place and truned to clear the tray itself until she saw Moonbyul emerge from her room. She sighed as she saw her friend looking sadder than she had ever seen, there was no need to ask what was wrong and she made her way back around the counter to put her arms around a now sobbing Moonbyul, it was all she could do and she felt sorry for it. They stood for a good while like this, Moonbyul's body softly shaking whilst Wheein's hand massaged her back in an effort to comfort her. Then Wheein's phone rang and she reluctantly released her grip, answering the call, she mumbled about being busy and calling back later and hung up. The call was from Hyejin who understood completely and said she would call back later in the hopes that Moonbyul was feeling a little better and would no longer need Wheein to comfort her. She didn't say it harshly, she said it in a purely Hyejin way that people always thought brash but was her go-to bravado in these types of situations where she felt helpless. 

A faint beeping told them that Yongsun was home and as the door opened to indeed permit her entry, Wheein looked around to see that Moonbyul had once again retreated into the bedroom and she hurried to clean the breakfast tray away as a second person followed Yongsun inside. Bowing deeply, he introduced himself unnecessarily, Wheein knew who he was, everyone in the industry knew who he was and no doubt most normal people knew too. It was Eric Nam, Yongsun's new media friendly husband, he stood awkwardly until Yongsun said he should make himself at home and he sat down on the sofa looking around at the apartment and complimenting it. Wheein stood frozen for a second in the kitchen as Yongsun approached and asked where Moonbyul was. "I think she's in the bedroom, she's upset you know, about this whole thing. Maybe he shouldn't be here unnie..?", they had whispered the whole conversation so far but she struggled to keep her voice quiet as she uttered the last sentence across the counter that seperated them. It was hard to keep the hostility out of her voice as she spoke to her close friend and older member but she took a short breath and composed herself just in time to see the bedroom door open and Moonbyul emerge. 

It was like waiting for two rivals to throw the first punch, both women stood rooted to the spot as she walked over to Eric, who was still sat on the sofa, offering him her hand in an unusually formal greeting, she was tight lipped but had her trademark smirk too. Yongsun and Wheein both watched in awe as they heard her offering him a drink and he graciously accepted. She walked over to the kitchen and smiled as she the tv as a distraction, Wheein busied herself with the empty bags and avoided Moonbyul's eyes as she opened her phone and called Hyejin, her door was closed a few minutes later. stepping closer to a bemused Yongsun, Moonbyul lightly touched her wife's fingers and briefly pressed her body against her, moving only slightly as her lips met Yongsun's right ear, the smell of her perfume subtle but sweet as she whispered. "He may be your new husband but he'll never have you like I do.".