Moving Forward

In Plain Sight

There was no way any taxi driver would let them get in for the journey home, so the harsh fresh air of the night whipped at their faces as they swayed home, there was no way she would let Hyejin be alone and she wasn't about to fish around in her drunk friend's pockets for her keys so they were angling towards Wheein's place on unsteady feet. Cars were thankfully few and far between so crossing the road was a little easier and the lights almost seemed to sense the fact that they needed just a little longer to cross, hovering for a few seconds more on green so the two women could amble across the road in relative safety. Once they had reached Wheein's apartment building, she kept her arm around Hyejin, who was slowly falling asleep at the lack of movement, and pulled the main door to the building open after a polite greeting to the building's security man. Stairs would be difficult with having to support Hyejin's weight but the security guard called for the lift and they stepped insie, he pressed the button for her floor and waved them off as the doors closed and the lift began it's journey up a couple of floors. The doors eased open and Wheein stumbled a little with her friend as she reached her own front door and stabbed at the buttons to enter the code she knew all too well. The cool air from outside had been replaced by the gentle warmth of her air conditioning unit and she was glad to feel it as she kicked off her shoes and sat Hyejin down to do the same for her. It was another struggle altogether to help Hyejin undress slightly for comfort and subsequently put her to bed but she was relieved to do it and sat for a moment remembering how they had gotten to this place and whether those words she swore she'd heard had actually been uttered at all or if they were a figment of her own imagination. Finally, with her mind considerably clearer and hydrated with a small glass of water, she herself gathered bed things and made her temporary place of sleep on the sofa, her head hitting the pillow and immediately whisking her away to a place she had missed all day.

It always felt like people were watching them whenever they went anywhere just the two of them, or maybe she was just paranoid, either way Yongsun spent a few minutes either side of her part of their conversation looking around expectantly. She didn't know what she was waiting for but she was trying her hardest not to loom suspicious in any way as the barista walked over to their table and placed their coffees down in between them with a smile and a bow as she walked away. Moonbyul smiled in thanks and Yongsun even managed what could only be described as a weak grimacing smile at best. Her heart gave an involuntary jolt as she felt warm fingers on top of hers, Moonbyul had reached across and placed her ringless hand on Yongsun's in a combined effort to relax her wife and a reassurance that it was ok for minimal contact like this in a public place, after all, they were still friends. "I think we should tell Hyejin and Wheein. It won't be how you think it will be, they'll be happy for us honey. Don't look so worried, ok?. look, the worst that could happen is that we loose friends because of it. I don't know about you, but I hate having to keep it a secret in my own apartment, like us being together is a dirty little secret. I hate seeing you so uncomfortable out in public but I can only do something about our private lives right now. I know you're nervous babe, but all I want is to be able to come home at teh end of the day and snuggle with you on the sofa and not have to put on a charade in front of our friends, I hate having to take off my ring and pretend they symolise less than they do, it breaks my heart to do it every day. Say something Yong baby.". Heart pounding in her chest, Yongsun hadn't seen this sudden hushed outburst from Moonbyul and she sat with slightly open as she listened. Of course she wanted the same thing but it scared her to imagine a bad reception from Hyejin and Wheein, if they lost them as friends, it would be the most devastating outcome and their wok would suffer for it too. Even sat here in silent uncertainty, she admired Moonbyul's ability to say exactly how she felt and not care of the outcome. Taking a deep breath and closing her eyes for a split second, she gathered her thoughts and nodded in agreement, she didn't like the stress their confession would cause no matter the outcome but she knew it was the right thing to do and she would have Moonbyul's full support whatever happened and that was all she really needed.

The walk home was a different one from before, this time the dim filter she had been seeing the world through was lifted as though she was in a children's colouring book, it made her smile. When she had built up teh courage to propose they tell their friends about their marriage, Moonbyul had worried they would remain closeted because she knew Yongsun was sensitive and would be wary of any exposure even to friends, now she had permission, it felt like she should be able to shout out to the whole of Korea and announce she had found her soulmate at last. A sudden added warmth met her left hand as it dangle lazily by her side and she looked down to see Yongsun's hand in hers, she lifted her eyes to meet her ife's and smiled at the sudden gesture. This was a clear movement in the right direction fro them because they never held hands in  public, it wasn't that people would say anything or even pressume they were a couple, it was all fro Yongsun and an avoidance of awkwardness. Everything Moonbyul did was for Yongsun, she was her life, her soulmate and her entire reason for existing. The walk could have taken half an hour or 5 hours, she didn't care, as long as she was with her love on this unfiltered perfect day, then she would be content with life.