A Tiny Secret That Must be Kept

In Plain Sight

That incessant beeping was driving her mad and the small drip of the IV bag was making her small headache worse. A warm hand on hers and the soft scent of Wheein's perfume made her smile, opening her eyes, she looked at her sleeping girlfriend and touched her hair with the forefinger on her left hand, it was clumsy because of the heart monitor attached to it but she was gentle all the same. The police had been already to take a statement and it had left them both a little more tired, having to recall the very small amount of memory they had from the attack but being asked a million follow-up questions had scrambled their brains and now all she could do was watch Wheein sleep soundly, not wanting to wake her up at all, she looked so peaceful. Minutes passed by before they were disturbed but it was only a nurse doing her rounds, she quietly knocked the door and poked her head around to see how her patient was doing, Hyejin smiled and gave her a thumbs up and she went about her business checking her vitals and making little notes on her clipboard before leaving the room and closing the door silently behind her. Wheein woke up a few moments later and looked at Hyejin, the latter smiling as she saw her and in a croaky voice she wished her a good morning, "Hey, my little sleepyhead..". Wheein smiled serenely but frowned in concern as she asked if Hyejin was ok. She said she was and then pecked her girlfriend on the lips softly, Wheein smiled and gently held Hyejin's hand, the concern still on her face a little. 

Afternoon came and with it came visitors, first of all were Hyejin's parents, Wheein made herself scarce when they arrived by saying she needed to make a call and afterwards going to get herself some fresh air. Hyejin's dad made terrible jokes as he always did but she liked it. "Hyejin-ah, you're looking well for someone in hospital. Are you even meant to be here?". He nudged her shoulder playfully and she rolled her eyes, whenever she was in a bad mood, she could rely on her father to lighten it. They stayed for a few hours and when they left, the mood in the room was considerably lighter and Hyejin beamed at Wheein as she re-entered. As Wheein sat down, there was another knock at the door and a police officer poked her head around the door, a small smile on her face as she introduced herself and her colleague and stepped inside. Wheein sat quietly as she listened and Hyejin paid attention as the officer flipped open her notebook and read aloud. 

"Miss Ahn, I have to run a few details by you if that's ok?", Hyejin nodded and she continued. "On the morning of the incident, you were in the living room area of the apartment and you heard a smash and moments later you were hit by a shard of broken glass which penetrated your neck and caused a severe wound which left you fighting for your life. Is that correct?". Hyejin nodded as she listened and Wheein sipped her drink. The officer continued. "After you were struck by the glass, you made your way to the kitchen area and slumped to the floor, at which time Miss Jung found you and called for help from the owner of the apartment, Miss Moon and your colleague Miss Kim. Is that correct so far?", she looked up and her eyes flicked to Wheein, who nodded. The officer looked back at Hyejin and when the details were confirmed, she gave a small smile and carried on. "Finally, when your colleagues arrived, Miss Moon called for an ambulance and you lost conciousness until you arrived at this hospital, correct?". She looked at Hyejin, who grimaced at the re-telling of the details but confirmed they were accurate. Closing her notebook, she replaced it in her jacket pocket and turned to Wheein, her voice soften even further as she asked one final question. "Miss Jung, is there anything you remember about the  incident that hasn't been mentioned?, did you see anything near the thrown object that would give a clue as to the assailant?, any small detail could help break the case.". Wheein thought for a second and answered that everything the officer had said was all she herself knew, Hyejin smiled and nodded in agreement. The officer wished her a speedy recovery, walked out with her colleague and closed the door behind her quietly. Wheein sighed heavily, looking at Hyejin, she grimaced.

Hyejin looked questioningly at her and she started talking in one long word:

 "Hyejin-There-Was-Something-I-Didn't-Tell-The-Officer-It-was-About-The-Brick-Having-A-Note-Attached-To-It-That-I-Saw-Yongsun-Unnie-Take-Off-And-Put-In-Her-Pocket-I'm-So-Sorry-I-Lied-Don't-Tell-Anyone-Please-But-It-Looked-Like-It-Was-To-Do-With-Someone-Who-Knew-Byulie-And-Yongsun-Unnie-Are-Together-And-They-Hate-Them-For-It".

Hyejin giggled at her girlfriend who had turned a little red in the face out of exasperation, she smiled and Wheein sat frowning in a bit of confusion. Hyejin beckoned for her to come over and she settled on the edge of the bed. Moving her face closer, she pulled Wheein into a kiss and looked at her, her voice soft and no longer croaky. "Jung Wheein, you did the right thing, what would we gain by telling them that detail?. It would only serve to expose our friends and make their lives a misery, never question yourself like that again, ok?. Some secrets are tiny, just like you, and they must be kept for the sake of everyone involved. Now come and snuggle with me and say no more about it".

They cuddled on the bed for the rest of the day and the memory of her little white lie dwindled into nothingness as they fell asleep, happy in each other's company.