An Awkward Occassion

In Plain Sight

The taxi driver had greeted them pleasantly enough, his tone of voice was jovial for a monday morning and it helped put them in a good mood. The day would be a long one, but it always was when a formal occassion was planned and they had no way of getting out of it. Yongsun played with Moonbyul's fingers and smiled to herself at the memories of the night before, there had been a new intensity to their love making and it had everything to do with how much her mother had riled Moonbyul up during her visit. Although Yongsun felt bad that she had stayed in the bathroom and avoided the confrontation, she knew that both of them being in a bad mood was good for nothing but nonstop arguements and she was keen to avoid that. They pulled up to Moonbyul's childhood home and paid the driver as they got out, he wished a pleasant day and pulled away, leaving them stood there for a moment in silence. Even after so many years away, every time she came home, Moonbyul felt the nostalgia of her youth stream through her and it made her smile and frown in equal measure. Yongsun put an arm around her for a second and pulled away just in time because a shout announced that her sister had seen them adn she ran over to embrace Moonbyul and fill her in on all the family members who were already here. Yongsun had only Yonghee, who was 3 years older than her so the sudden energy of a younger sibling surprised her. Seulgi was bright but a little shy and very study focused, even now, she had a pen pinned behind her right ear and Yongsun smiled to see it. Being 4 years younger than Moonbyul obviously meant nothing because the sister's treated each other like there was no at all, Seulgi speaking informally as they walked arm in arm towards the house, Yongsun lagging slightly in their wake. 

The door opened and Moonbyul's mother opened her arms wide to hug her oldest daughter, Yongsun was surprised when she held her arms out for her too adn she felt all the love only a mother could give. Seulgi had barged past her mother and into the room beyond but the two visitors stood and waited to be welcomed inside the house. It was the same in very family Yongsun supposed, when there was a gathering of relatives, many handshakes or hugs and so many voices raised in welcome, only dying down in volume when the conversation turned to recounting everyone's daily lives. Yongsun was ushered into a small bedroom by Moonbyul's youngest sister, Yesol, she was the bossiest 12 year old but she had taken to Yongsun quickly and always dragged her away to play as soon as she saw her. "Unnieeeee...you're so pretty. Wait..my sister has that ring too...that means that...", Yongsun held her breath, children were very perceptive and she wondered if the jig was up, "...that means you two are best friends!, Unnie canI wear your hat?..pretty please?!". Yongsun giggled and handed her hat over, it buried Yesol and she too giggled, she sounded a little like Wheein but there was a distinct tone she had heard in her wife's laughter and she smiled to hear it. After a while, when Yesol had tired herself out and Yongsun left the room silent, pulling the door almost closed behind her, Moonbyul had managed to drag herself away from her condescending gaggle of aunties who were picking fault with her boyish appearance, as aunties always did. Yongsun had the sudden urge to pull her closer and kiss her deeply right there and then but she resisted and resolved to just smile and follow her loyally around and out into the back yard. For a few minutes, they were completely alone and they sat in the huge swing seat presssed against each other, thier thighs hot and their hands so close their fingers grazed against each other. The sun was setting a little earlier today and they felt sleepy as they slouched in the warmth. Yongsun smirked as she told Moonbyul what her sister had said and they chuckled softly at her innocence. Just as they moved a little closer and looked into each other's eyes, wondering if a kiss would be ok whilst so close but unseen by anyone in the house, a gruff voice called to Moonbyul, it was her father. He had just returned from the store and wanted to know if she could help him set up the grill. Yongsun scowled at his timing and Moonbyul's lips pressed on hers for a second before she answered him. Although the seat was facing away from the house and the back was high enough to hide them, she still felt a small thrill at the fact they had been so close to Moonbyul's father at that intimate moment, her cheeks colouring at the thought.

Through no planning whatsoever, Yongsun was wedged between Yesol and Moonbyul's least favourite aunt, whilst Moonbyul was sat opposite between her mother and her favourite uncle. The meal was pleasant enough and the conversation flowed well between everyone, of course there were pockets of inter chatting but the main chatter was generally pointed at Seulgi and her new boyfriend. When this topic seemed exhausted, all the aunties putting in their two cents and the uncles assuring her that if the boy hurt her then he would have them to answer to, talk turned frustratingly to Yongsun and that show. She had thought for one whole minute, that she had avoided the subject but she had been extremely naiive to relax and she looked across at Moonbyul in a silent plea for help as she was bombarded by questions, Yesol exclaiming that Eric was 'soooo handsome'. Moonbyul grimaced back at her in the least helpful way and offered no solution. All Yongsun could do was smile and nod with every question and thought thrown at her, she felt so helpless and trapped but what could she do?. "Ok, ok everybody!, we all know why we're here. It's not every day someone reaches a big birthday but our Seulgi is 20 years old today and we couldn't let her leave for her friends without showing how proud we are of her becoming such a lovely young woman. Happy Birthday Seulgi!", this last part was shouted by everyone in the room and the birthday girl blushed hard out of embarrassment as she ducked her head and quietly thanked everyone. Yongsun remembered her 20th birthday being less embarrassing but still a little awkward with all of her family gathered too, she had revelled in the freedom of celebrating with friends later that night in contrast. 

Once the night had truly set in, small groups of people left the party and the room grew quieter. Aunties and uncles swiftly embraced them both, wished them well, said goodbye to Seulgi and left. Yesol had gone to her room and was snoring softly when Yongsun passed by to use the bathroom, She sat down and did her business with her eyes closed, a headache had been threatening to manifest for most of the evening after her interrogation and now it spiked like fork lightening and she grimaced at each twinge. They were due to spend the night here and she could not be more grateful when they were able to thank Moonbyul's parents for a pleasant day and escape to the bedroom. Since Moonbyul's room was untouched and still had her huge bed in it, her parents had said Yongsun may as well share it with her, they were good friends after all. The thought had lifted her spirits a little with the thought that she could at least spend the night in her wife's arms. They snuggled closer, Yongsun resuming her role as the little spoon and her headache dissipated within minutes, soft kisses landed on the back of her neck and she sighed into them, her voice low and whisper-like as she said "What a day, at least we have a little time alone now honey.". Moonbyul smiled and squeezed her round the middle in agreement whilst she nibbled idly on Yongsun's earlobe, the day had drained her of patience and now all she wanted to do was be here, with her arms around her lover and her thoughts in a locker. She could feel Yongsun relax and although it had been a stressful day listening to the matchmaking of her family with the one she loved, she was once again content in their little world.