A Moment To Ourselves

In Plain Sight

Hyejin woke with a start and immediately screwed up her eyes in pain, the room was dark so she carefully opened her eyes fully and looked around the room. She'd never seen this room in her life and wondered if she'd been kidnapped by someone very thoughtful and friendly like a little old lady. A gentle knock on the door and a small familiar face appeared in the gap as the door was opened a fraction. Hyejin smiled as she groggily watched her friend enter the room and close the door behind her out of consideration for Hyejin's hangover. Wheein sat at the furthest end of the bed, barely on the bed at all and she kept that cute dimpled smile focused on her as she spoke softly. "How are you feeling Jinnie?, you drank way too much last night. don't worry, it's Sunday so you can sleep as long as you want. You can order food when you're hungry, i'll leave some money and menus on the kitchen counter. I just came to tell you that i'm going out for a while, my mom called and she wants me to meet her from the airport, apparently she thought i'd like to catch up with a guy we used to go to school with. We both know that's her trying to marry me off with some poor sap who i've probably never met. Anyway, sleep, eat, shower, do nothing, i'll be back as soon as I can escape from my mother's clutches.". Not wanting to interrupt or more accurately not knowing whether she can open without being sick, Hyejin lets Wheein talk and just nods slowly as she watches her leave the room and minutes later hears the front door close and lock. Sitting up gingerly, she dares to stand up and immediately regrets her decision, sitting back down a little faster than she anticipated. It must be a habit of hangover sufferers to see flashes of the night before in their mind as though they're seeing their life flash before their eyes. Here she sat, feeling terrible but smiling every now and again at their night of drunken karaoke. She gasps as she remembers a key moment she hoped hadn't happened, laying back down on top of the bedclothes and closing her eyes, she curses out loud as she remembers what she said to Wheein in her sleepy drunken state.

The house needed cleaning, that was something she just couldn't avoid, no money or time to hire a cleaner and it was a good distraction from the mess of thoughts running riot in her mind right now. Yongsun had put on her headphones and was right in the middle of scrubbing the kitchen counters, she liked to listen to English music because it helped her learn the language and she had to admit that they made some good music too. Moonbyul always loved catching her at this point, watching silently from the bedroom doorway as her wife danced and cleaned in rhythm to whatever she was listening to. She grinned at how cute she was and took the steps necessary to close the gap between them, usually she couldn't sneak up on Yongsun but when she was engrossed in her routine like this then it was easy. Sneaking up behind, she wrapped her arms around her waist and nuzzled into her neck, making her jump a little and drop the sponge onto the counter. Taking her headphones off and frowning, Yongsun turned around to face Moonbyul and pouted, yes she hated to be interrupted and she was pretty sure she was on the verge of suffering a heart attack but she did love the random snuggles too. Arms still around her waist, she wrapped her own around Moonbyul's neck and pulled her closer for a passionate kiss. This time, she wanted to convey exactly how much she loved her and she got the feeling she had done it perfectly as she felt her wife melt into the kiss. Just a few hours had passed since they had agreed to tell Hyejin and Wheein and the stress Yongsun had felt at the time had passed completely and she was anxious to get it over with. The kiss ended but they remained locked together in an embrace for a while afterwards, looking at each other, just looking.

"Is that my little baby Wheeinie??, it's been so long since I last saw you. You haven't grown at all, but what is this?, a new hairstyle?. It's very mature, I saw it on the television but I didn't know if it would look as lovely in person. You remember Woojin right?, he went to Wonkwang with you and Hyejin. He's single you know.". Wheein rolled her eyes at her mother and weakly smiled an apology to the poor unknown boy she had dragged with her in the hopes of him marrying her spinster daughter. They sat down for what felt like days, Wheein went through the motions as she usually did. Picking at her food but managing to make it look like she was enjoying her meal, she added the appropriate balance of smiles and responses until it was time to leave, she took the boy's number and resolved never to call him. After seeing her mother to the airport safely, her mother insisted on sending her home with the kimchi and countless other foods she had prepared, Wheein sat in the parking lot, closing her eyes for a second and sighing heavily before opening her eyes and driving home slowly. As soon as she opened her front door, all the weight of the day dropped off of her and she saw Hyejin walking towards her looking much more awake than before. The food was taken from her as she stepped inside her apartment and she smiled as she watched Hyejin deposit it all onto the kitchen counter and start to put it away in the appropriate places. Walking autonatically to the sofa, she slumped down onto it and felt her own eyes close slowly as the room faded to black and sleep took her over. Hyejin turned back to face the room after putting Wheein's mom's food away and silently giggled as she saw her friend passed out on the sofa, dead to the world. Creeping over, she remembered the time when Yongsun had tried a VR headset and she had jokingly pecked her on the lips, they had laughed about it but now she had the same urge to do a similar thing to Wheein and so she leaned over her friend and softly pecked her cheek. She felt cowardly that she hadn't touched her lips but it was a start and Wheein would know no different. She grinned at her own small act of bravery and walked back to the kitchen to grab herself a cup of coffee as she thought to herself, i'll savour today because tomorrow we have work and we won't get time alone. For now we have this moment and a few hours more to call our own.