The Prom

The Girl Behind The Camera | A Park Jimin's Story

The long awaited night finally come, and there’s not even a single girl wearing other than smiles on their faces. Everyone is looking all bedazzled and gorgeous, with each of them adorned in decent outfits and putting extra effort on donning some accessories to complete their look. You, yourself, have picked a silk navy blue gown with your long wavy brunette hair resting on your shoulders and your back with light makeup. Without your girlfriends’ help and reassurances, you’re pretty sure that you will never have the guts to pull the look off.

 

To say the dress is spectacular is an understatement. The smooth silky fabric complements your tanned skin really well, and you like how the fabric shines when light reflects onto it, giving the dress natural shimmer. However, the fact that the mentioned dress is a spaghetti-strapped one and has a high slit makes you almost bail on it. Thanks to Heeyoung and Rina, the girls get to convince you to be confident and put on the dress for the night. At first, you do feel a little anxious and awkward, but the anxiety eases as time passes by and also with the help of the compliments that you get.

 

Heeyoung and Rina could just shake their heads with how unaware their best friend is with the natural beauty and attraction you possess. You are a head-turner, but of course this dumb friend of theirs is being oblivious to it.

 

The hall has the perfect lighting for any mood - lowly dimmed - whether for a disco party type of mood or slow dancing type of mood. You, who have engaged a few conversations with your friends and that’s enough social interaction for today, leaning against the table that serves trays of one bite refreshments and drinks. Grabbing the red cup, you pour in some plain water and takes a sip before choking on the drink.

 

“No one told you that it’s soju?” Heeyoung appears out of nowhere behind you, making you instantly turn to your back to meet the mischievous smirk gracing her lips.

 

“You sneaky girls,” playful chuckle escaping your lips while you’re shaking your head in disbelief, “I though we’ve learnt our lessons,”

 

“We have learnt our lessons, which is not to throw your goddamn evidences into the main school trash,” Heeyoung laugh devilishly but is immediately halted after receiving a smack on the nape from you.

 

“By the way, where’s Rina?” you ask, taking another sip from the red cup, eyes wandering around the crowd to find the aforementioned girl.

 

“She’s a little busy,” Heeyoung pours herself a cup before continuing, “You know, stage and performance organizing,”. You just remember that the girl has volunteered herself to take in charge with the organizer team a week ago. Hence, you just nod, enjoying the liquor in your hand and the company.

 

Your gaze travel to the crowd where you can see a few couples having their time on the dance floor, eyes glinting with excitement and lips maintaining a smile all the time. Well, some of you are lucky enough to get to go to the prom with a date. So when you lay your eyes on each of the merry couple, you can’t deny the envy that is sparking inside of you. How their hands wrapped around each other, how wide their smiles are, how flushed their cheeks are.

 

You miss the feelings you used to have. You miss being happy. You miss being in someone’s arms and embraced in their warmth. You miss the attention and affection.

 

And you miss the person the most.

 

“Speaking of which,” Heeyoung suddenly voices again, interrupting your monologue as you tear your gaze away from the crowd and make its way to Heeyoung, “I heard that we’ll have someone to perform some vocals. Do you want to stick around for the performance?”

 

To be honest, you are almost on the verge of another meltdown when you were having your monologue just now which means, your partying mood has died down. All you want to do now is to be swallowed in your blanket, bawling your eyeballs out to sleep. However, looking at the puppy eyes that Heeyoung is giving, the hint of hope that is evident in her chord, you decide to it up and endure maybe half an hour more. Therefore, you force a small smile before nodding weakly.

 

“Cool!” she says before hastily putting down her cup on the table, “I need to go to the toilet for a second,” she adds before squishing her way into the crowd, vanished from your sight in a blink of an eye and left you dumbfounded. What’s with the rush, though? Heeyoung is such a weirdo.

 

You stare at your half-emptied soju, debating with yourself whether you should refill the cup or just play it safe, just get slightly tipsy. It’s been weeks since you have consumed any type of alcohol, and maybe this time you can treat yourself? Soyeon, herself has expressed her concern towards your consumption of alcohol. You don’t take it regularly - which is a good thing, but once you have any, you’ll get yourself wasted - which isn’t something tolerable for Soyeon.

 

“Cut it down, kid. At least, don’t get grogged up,” you remember the advice she gave the last time both of you met.

 

Well, another refill won’t hurt, right?

 

Turning your body towards the table back, you search for the tank and get in queue. Well, seems like the girls are really enjoying the beverages tonight since the queue is pretty long. Shaking your head, finding it funny how all the girls are actually es with genius brains. Out of the blue, a voice echoes throughout the hall, successfully gaining attention by every single student that are occupied in the venue. All of you shift your gazes towards the stage, finding a few of the men are setting up with their respective instruments and the emcee of the day with a mic in her hand.

 

“Good evening, my lovely ladies! Are you guys having fun?” the girl speaks, wide friendly smile plastered on her glossed lips. The smile spreads even wider when she receives a loud gibberish mixed of people whistling and answering her question with a simple shout ‘yeah!’.

 

“Nice to hear that you’re enjoying the night. And you know what? Tonight is getting even more fun because we are bringing the concert to you!” The crowd cheers noisily, hands clapping in utter exhilaration. You can’t deny that you too are feeling a little elated, maybe are influenced by the inviting vibe that are shrouding around you.

 

“Get ready to be serenaded by this sweet, honey-like voice, ladies. Because, trust me, this voice will be in your sweet dreams for the whole week,” the whole crowd breaks into laughter by seeing the comical expression that is given by the emcee. You even can’t hold back a chuckle looking at how the girl fits her job as an event hostess.

 

“With that, I’ll pass the stage to our performer. Please, welcome,”

 

When the entirety of students, including you, are craning your necks to take a glance on the aforementioned performer who is yet to be presented, your turn to get your drink has already arrived. You instantly shift your gaze to the tank, and start filling your cup. You can hear subtle guitar stringing into tune and the squeals are getting wilder, indicating that the song is about to start and the performer has entered the stage. After getting your cup filled, you divert your attention back to the stage.

 

You can see a man standing there, neatly clad in dark blue suit, planting his stance in front of a standing mic. Your eyes continue to travel from his raven hair, to his outfit (that ‘coincidentally’ has the same shade as yours) to his stunning built to his ey-

 

His eyes.

 

The most mesmerizing thing of him that manage to catch your breath away.

 

The eyes that hold the entire galaxy, the home of thousands of twinkling stars.

 

The eyes that you thought you’ll never get to see again.

 

The eyes of one and only, Park Jimin.

 

 

Jimin swears his suit is going to get soaked if his palms keep on sweating and he has nothing but his suit to wipe them off. It’s been awhile since Jimin performed in front of an audience, which was when he was still in school and college. He has been spending years singing in front of lenses and virtual audiences, so he can’t help but to feel nervous. Well, that is not the only reason why he is being antsy.

 

He is afraid if this doesn’t turn the way he has planned it to be. What if you don’t even want to spare time to listen to him? What if you storm out of the hall as soon as you see him? What if Jimin can’t hold his tears back and ruins his performance? What if you’ve moved on and have labelled Jimin as your past? What if you have eliminated Jimin in your present and future? There’s just too much of ‘what if’s in Jimin’s head, he wonders if his mind can break like how his heart did.

 

“Hey, big guy. Are you okay?” a voice startles Jimin from his thoughts, making the man tears his gaze from the floor and find its way to Rina. Concern is etched in her features when Jimin turns to face her.

 

“Just- nervous. A little. Haha,” Jimin rambles, ending his reply with an awfully nervous chuckles.

 

“Hey,” Rina says softly, beaming apologetically, “You’ll do great. Stop doubting yourself and focus on the effort and practices you’ve put for this performance, alright?”

 

“How do I know if she’ll like this?”

 

Crossing her arms over her chest, Rina smiles widely, conviction clearly displayed on her face before she answers, “There’s only one way to find out,”.

 

Jimin registers her words in his mind, inhaling and exhaling deeply before nodding in approval. Before Jimin could focus his mind back to the upcoming performance, waiting for his time to step away from the curtain and gets into his position under the spotlight, Rina moves closer to whisper something into the other’s ear.

 

“By the way, I’m sure y/n can’t say no after seeing your newly dyed black hair,” she whispers before walking away off the backstage, making the guy flustered and more confident at the same time. He’s glad to know that dyeing his hair black is indeed a good decision.

 

Therefore, when Jimin paces from the backstage to the spotlight slowly, he can hear the cheers and squeals are getting louder. It’s funny how Jimin keeps on getting surprised on how much recognition he received as he keeps on forgetting that he is a millionaire in terms of Youtube subscribers and views. He gives a sign to the guitarist, indicating that he’s ready to perform. While waiting for the guitarist to start plucking, Jimin’s gaze venture all over the corners and edges of the hall, searching for your built.

 

Only when the player starts strumming the strings, Jimin’s eyes catch a figure, in the same horizontal line as him.

 

He sees you.

 

The very second when Jimin plants his gaze on you, his breath is immediately taken away. The dress matches his blue perfectly, and the shimmery silk of your dress makes everything on you glow. Your hair has gotten longer, the curls are already reaching your back and Jimin has never thought you could get even more beautiful. Jimin's not sure if he can tear his gaze away for now, he has been longing for this view for too long. However, he's afraid if he'll get caught by you, you'll walk away.

 

But it's too late to prevent that, because you have already shift your gaze towards his way on the same time Jimin will be starting his first line.

 

And Jimin could only pray that this will work.

 

....

A/n: Yes guys, it's finally happening

btw, stay healthy and hydrated readers! always know that there's someone in this world loves you. if you have anything to rant, feel free to come to me, okay? i might wont be much of a help, but im willing to hear you out if that can at least makes you feel better, eventho a little :) please know that you're strong and you're doing great in life. never compare yourself with other's achievements and what's most important is your own happiness :D tcly ;)