That's Why I Leave

The Girl Behind The Camera | A Park Jimin's Story

Because I love music, so here some mood:

gnash - be

Dave Thomas Junior - I Can't Make You Love Me

----------------------------------------------------------------------

“Err… I’m sorry about that. His friends are kinda… Overly attached to him,”

 

Both of you and Nayeon are sitting on the bench with only socks on your feet while watching Jimin practically being dragged away by Taehyung and Jungkook who popped up out of nowhere. Your brows are knitted together as you observe a struggling Jimin being sandwiched in between Tae and Jungkook as they skate together. How ridiculous these kids actually can be?

 

You quickly tuck the skating shoes on and get on your feet. Namjoon likes skating. Namjoon loves it. Every time Namjoon visits you in your boarding school or at your house in Ilsan, Namjoon will always take you to skating rinks. You have gotten used to skating as Namjoon started it as a hobby ever since he was a toddler. With all of those years gliding and playing on the ice floor, your skills have been perfected, enough to feel comfortable to skate in high velocity without feeling scared of slipping of.

 

When Nayeon seems like struggling with her pair of shoes, you take no time to drop on one knee, extending your hands to give a hand on doing her shoes.

 

“Here, let me do it for you,”

 

Nayeon attempts to recline your offer initially but she is met with your stubborn side, as you continue helping her with her shoes. The action, somehow, manages to paint hue on her already blushed cheeks, but she's not really certain for whatever the reason is. Is it because of the coldness of the mall that is biting her skin? Or is it because of the embarrassment she has to endure as she is lacking with basic skating skills? Or is it because of your sweet and caring action towards her?

 

Let's just stop confusing her own mind and enjoy what is happening now, shall we?

 

After done with her shoes, you jolt upwards and stand on your feet.

 

“Ready to skate, unnie?” you smile sweetly to her, as she mirrors your action.

 

Well, this unnie isn’t that shady. You think, when you can't find a hint of annoyance or exasperation in her smile. It is a genuine, sincere one, which you do appreciate it. It is odd, when you think about it again that she used to throw daggers on you when all of you were still in the house. Well, maybe you judge her too quick for that, you guess.

 

Nayeon bites her lower lip as she tries to stand on her feet, before she loses her balance and about to trip off. However, you are quick enough to pull the shorter’s arm and take a grip on her petite waist. Cursing under her breath, Nayeon clenches her hands tightly on the fabric on your shoulders. She is fully acknowledged that she has never skated in her whole life before, but of course there’s a reason why she chose to go ice skating on the first place. So she can hold onto Jimin’s hands or purposely trip onto Jimin’s body while skating.

 

Yet, as she realizes, having you as a replacement of Jimin's position isn't a bad idea at all.

 

“Do you know how to skate, unnie?” you try to find her eyes as she is dropping her gaze on the ice floor, too shy to lift her chin. You chuckle when the shorter timidly shakes her head.

 

“It’s okay, I’ll guide you. We’ll go slow,”

 

You remove your hands from her waist and take her shivering hands in yours slowly. Bringing the hands low to your waist level, you let the older takes her time to gain balance.

 

“Can I start moving now?”

 

After receiving a nod from Nayeon, you skate backwards with a really snail-like pace as Nayeon follows you with baby steps, fingers intertwined with yours tightly.

 

“Look. You’re doing great!” you say, as Nayeon lifts her head up and locks her eyes with you, smiling shyly. You can notice her cheeks turn a little too rosy.

 

As both of you continue to skate together, Nayeon finally voices out.

 

“So… You’re single?”

 

You blink, before sneering and smiling with warmth lacing on your smile.

 

“Nope. I’m not,” you answer shyly, resisting yourself from trying to search for Jimin.

 

What a bummer.

 

“Is it a guy? Or…”

 

“I’m straight. But, hey, I’ve received a few confessions from girls in my school, though,” you snicker as you replay those moments when you found letters and chocolates from your juniors and some from your own batchmates. You do feel guilty to accept those gifts since you really have no intentions on undertaking their feelings in consideration. The fact that someone could admire you secretly surprises you, to be honest.


On the other hand, Nayeon somehow is not surprised by it at all. She understands why that happen, and she understands how the girls might have felt.

 

“I know you have a crush on Jiminnie,”

 

Nayeon is snapped back to reality when the statement shakes her from keep internally crying about you being straight. She tries to remain collected as you wait for her response.

 

“I know I won’t have a chance,” she murmurs, smiling bitterly.

 

“Mind sharing with me about your story?”

 

Both of you stop skating and take a rest at the metal ring that confine the rink. After making sure that Nayeon is stable enough and have had her both hands on the metal, you let her go and lean your back against the metal and tilt your head to your side, giving a sign that she can start speaking.

 

“We... went to the same college and we attend the similar classes. We’re friends, basically, since he never accepted my feelings,” Nayeon props her chin on her palm, as she throws her gaze outside of the rink. You tilt your head, a little confused.

 

“Oh, you’ve confessed to him before?”

 

“I couldn’t count how many times I’ve told him the same thing again and again. Don't you think it's pathetic? When you keep on thinking that you'll have a chance? That you think someone will be yours even though you got rejected like only-God-knows how much? I thought he'll see, he'll appreciate all of my effort one day. Well, I guess that one day will never happen,”

 

You turn to her side, notice the gloomy expression on her face. You give soft pats on her back, as her expression softens.

 

“I... I think maybe... You can't make someone love you if they don't, y'know? You can't expect a person to reciprocate your feelings by making them feel indebted of your effort. I am sure that he does feel guilty, but that's that. You're kind, unnie. You're gorgeous and sweet. I am sure you will find someone that can see and appreciate those effort you do, that can love you more than you do. Sometimes... I don't know... Sometimes there are things that are never meant to be. And all we could do is just... accept,"

 

Nayeon shifts her gaze to you as she eyes meaningfully. Of course it would be a lie if Nayeon never have that piece of thought in her mind. What if she tries stopping herself from chasing Jimin’s hopeless love? What if she tries seeing other people without thinking of Jimin? What if she tries cutting Jimin off her life and just move on from this one-sided love?

 

That’s the point. She tried, and it failed every time.

 

However, when someone finally approaches her about this, talking to her that all of her attempts are worth to try even though it fails everytime, Nayeon really can’t help but to dwell into your words. Actually, that is the reason why she takes the decision to ask Jimin out by herself after taking years and months attempting on forgetting about him. She wants to give herself the last chance, trying to see if things might work out between them. Nevertheless, it has always been the same thing over and over again. Jimin will never reciprocate her feelings, especially when she witnesses how Jimin’s eyes twinkle upon seeing your smile and how him being really generous with his smiles towards you.

 

And only then, she knows she doesn’t stand a chance. All those twinkling eyes and genuine smiles are somehow familiar to Nayeon. No, Nayeon never received such warm smiles from Jimin. Nayeon, herself, has been accustomed to the fact that in million years, Jimin has never and will never act that way to her, at least not romantically. But that Jimin, is the similar Jimin she has seen years ago, when they’re still in college. The whipped, head over heels, Jimin. Nayeon thought she’ll never get to see that side of him again unless with her. She never has thoughts on seeing Jimin acting like a loverboy again, and it’s not with her.

 

However, when she lays her eyes on you, she immediately understands why.

 

"You already have him, haven't you?"

 

You you eyebrow, shooting her a bewildered expression as you purse your lips, not knowing on what to reply. Instead, you just shake your head lightly, fix your stance to stand straight and you gently press fondly on her left shoulder.

 

"I'm not saying this so I could have him, unnie. I'm saying this so you could have better,"


 

“I can’t believe on what I’m looking right now,”

 

Jimin, who is leaning his back against the metal scoffs in disbelief as he watches you and Nayeon holding hands while skating few metres from him. Tae, who is on Jungkook’s back taps the younger’s shoulder before pointing to Jimin, who is spacing out. Jungkook skates to the older before putting down Tae safely on the ground.

 

“Yo, hyung. What’re you looking at?” Jungkook cranes his neck, trying to search the direction Jimin’s looking at.

 

“Nothing,” Jimin mutters, still not budging his gaze on you.

 

Tae catches where Jimin’s looking at as he observes Nayeon’s hands in yours, before both of you stop at the side and leaning your back on the metal while talking to Nayeon. Nayeon is smiling genuinely throughout the conversation and Tae feels something unusual.

 

“Jimin… I know this is weird but… By any chance, do you think Nayeon is into girls?” Tae asks, eyes still on you and Nayeon.

 

“I know, right?” Jimin whines, as a touch of jealousy is evident in his chord, and his friends spot it.

 

“Jimin-ssi? Are you jealous?” Jungkook teases.

 

“Oh no! y/n is taken away!” Tae follows up.

 

“YAH! SHUT UP BEFORE I KILL BOTH OF YOU,”

 

Jimin wraps his arms around Tae’s neck, strangles him as the red head cries out for help. Jungkook tries to separate the 95 line off but end up falling on top of them as Tae and Jimin screams in pain. The youngest pushes himself of his hyungs but purposely drops his weight back on them, laughing boyishly.

 

“YAH JEON JUNGKOOK! I’LL BURN YOUR COMPUTERS AND GAMES AND MAKE SURE TO THROW THE ASHES RIGHT ON YOU-”

 

“Erm… Is everything fine here?

 

The frantic trio who are still wrestling on top of each other finally bring their action to a halt before pinning their gaze on you. Shaking your head with the absurdity of these men, you pinch the bridge of your nose.

 

“I should have brought the camera, shouldn’t I?”

 

 

“I swear to God, can you guys please at least act someone like in my age if being in your own is hard enough?”

 

You cross your arm, walking in between two bunches of pouting men, which are indeed Kim Taehyung and Jeon Jungkook. After helping the tangled trio on the ice floor to gain their sanity and (literally) nagging on them for the misbehaviour, you dismiss yourself and leave Nayeon with Jimin. The grey blonde did try to reach you from stepping further, but Nayeon managed to take a grip on Jimin’s arm.

 

Jungkook, who is still rubbing his right ear after receiving a painful pull from you shifts his gaze from the road to you. He just realize that the three of you are in the parking lot, about to leave the premise.

 

“Wait! Why are we here?” Jungkook suddenly stops going further.

 

“Because we’re going back to your house?”

 

“No! Why are you here? You supposed to get Jimin hyung from Nayeon noona!” Jungkook puts his hands on his hips, huffing in dismay.

 

“Why do you want to let both of them alone? Don’t you like Jimin?” Tae questions.

 

You blink numerously as you gulp, hesitating whether to answer their questions or just feed them with more curiosity. You let your mouth agape for a moment before you close it back, and take a deep breath.

 

“I do. And that's why I leave,"