Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

The Girl Behind The Camera | A Park Jimin's Story

You slam yourself on the thick blue cushion right below the bars, chest heaving up and down, sprawling on it. 30 minutes straight on the bars is truly draining your energy out, but you really need to perfect everything up as the competition is around the corner. It feels like spending two hours every weekday and five hours every weekend aren’t enough. You feel like you need more time, more effort, more hours.

 

You’re about to get up on your feet before you can feel a hand pushing your shoulder downwards, and that hand belongs to one and only, your beloved grumpy coach.

 

“That’s enough, kid,” she commands, offering you a water bottle with her other hands before fidgeting her weight on the thick cushion to sit at the edge of it. You fix your position, crossing your long legs, still trying to catch on your breath.

 

“Look at you, all sweaty and breathless. And you’re thinking on going on the bars again?” a hint of concern is evident in her nag, which makes you instantly shoot your gaze to her. Soyeon isn’t someone that shows her worries and compassion bluntly. But, when she does, that means one thing.

 

That she is incessantly bothered of something.

 

“I just think I need to practice more. I mean, an extra 30 minutes won’t hurt right?” you confess, hoping that the older would agree to you even though her face says the opposite.

 

“You’ll injure yourself, y/n. Overworking yourself won’t make it any better,”

 

Soyeon taps your bare shoulder fondly, eyes gleaming with affection and care that she seldom make it obvious, though you always feel it. Somehow, you both love and hate it when Soyeon reveals this side of her. You like it, cause it displays how surprisingly strong the bond between you, considering that she’s just your coach. Yet you also hate it, cause that means Soyeon is really feeling troubled to extent that she couldn’t hide it.

 

And that trouble is you.

 

“Is there something wrong between you and that Jimmy guy?”

 

“You mean Jimin?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. That boyfriend of yours. Are you guys fighting or what?”

 

That’s a very random question and a topic that Soyeon never brings up up to this day. Even though after that day when Jimin came and joined you in the gym together, she just never has the curiosity to ask about your relationship. So, when the usually unbothered woman unveils a sliver concern on your relationship, that just feels odd.

 

“No? We’re fine,” for the time being, I guess. Well, technically, you guys really aren’t having a fight. Both of you are still talking, texting to each other. Okay, if you ignore the details about those late replies, the fact that the last time you had a call was two months ago, the second thoughts and the insecurities, both of you are doing good.

 

“It’s just, you’re being a little off these past few weeks,” Soyeon mutters.

 

“I’m not doing okay? At which part? Balance beam? Unev-” a sudden panic surges into you when your coach criticises, battering her with questions before the older cuts your words in.

 

“I’m not saying about your performance, kid. You’re doing great in that, no argues. I’m talking about you, yourself. You’re being that old you again. Stressing over little details, being frustrated over small mistakes and trying to overwork yourself,”

 

Soyeon stares you down, scolding you in a softly stern voice like a mother would do to her daughter for dirtying the house. The voice that you always hear when you find both intimidating and soothing. You don’t deny her nevertheless, because you realize that by your own. You have always used to be perfect, to be faultless in everything you do, especially on something that you have great passion for. Hence when you are taking extra miles in perfecting your steps, that would be Soyeon’s red code to pay additional attention on you because this is going to be detrimental.

 

“Stop being hard on yourself, kid. It’s not healthy for you,” Soyeon pats your back before hopping off the cushion, walking away to the bench to grab her things.

 

You let the words resonate in your mind for a while, comprehending and registering them into your brain to let it process before joining her, getting ready to go back to your room.

 

“So, as usual, tomorrow?” you ask, slipping on your hoodie over your leotard.

 

“Nope. No trainings till next Monday,” Soyeon utters, throwing her bag to her back before walking away, leaving you bewildered.

 

“But that’s a five-day rest!” you yell a little to the older who’s getting further.

 

“You deserve it!” Soyeon shouts without turning to her back, wailing her arm which you think as a goodbye wave. A smile creeps out on your lips, as you shake your head, sneering with her cute antics.

 

Taking all your stuff into your hands, you leave the gym with a thought looming in your head - you’ll make the most of that five-day rest wisely.

 

 

Three of you are on your studying table respectively, putting your undiverted focus and attention to accomplish your assignments. With only the sound of the spinning fans audible in the room, this is the only time that three of you can be completely in silent and not yelling on each other’s faces or laughing your off on each other’s jokes.

 

After what it feels like an hour, a relieved sigh escapes your lips while you stretch your limbs and muscles out, moving them from being stagnant too long. The other two shift their gaze immediately to you who are starting to stuff your stationery into your pencil case, arranging your sheets.

 

“You’ve done all the works for tomorrow?” Rina her eyebrow, eyes pivoted on you who are still doing your arrangements.

 

“For tomorrow. And the next two days,” you answer briefly, eyes not leaving on the papers as you can hear shocked gasps from the girls.

 

“When did you even get the time to finish all of those works?” Heeyoung abandons her chair, rushing to your desk before grabbing on the stapled papers, looking through the answered worksheets.

 

“This girl is no joke. She even has done those algebra that Miss Cho told us to hand in next week,” Heeyoung shakes her head in disbelief, handing those sheets to Rina who follows up beside her. Her eyes widen a little as she scans through, before averting her gaze to you just to give a cryptic look.

 

“I know procrastinating is not good. But, what’s with the rush, tho?” Rina shoots you a curious look, and like a best friend she is, she knows that you have something in your mind and she’s trying her hard to not to imply.

 

“I… I have something to tell you,” you rub your nape nervously, voice comes out to be a little apprehensive than usual.

 

“What is it?” Rina and Heeyoung speak in jinx without missing a beat, waiting patiently for you to recover from your nerve so you could talk properly. You never hesitate to say anything, even something’s absurd to them unless if it’s really absurd.

 

“I have a really crazy plan,”

 

Heeyoung shoots her eyebrow upwards, “You know we’ve dwindled our criminal acts this year to concentrate more on our college entrance exam, right? But, if you’re still up to anything, I’m still in. You want to sneak in some liquors?”

 

You shake your head.

 

“Boys?”

 

“Eww, Heeyoung. I have a boyfriend. Crazier than that,”

 

“...Coke?”

 

“Okay, not that crazy,”

 

Rina puts her akimbo up, being a little stern, “y/n, just tell us. We’re your friends, we won’t judge you,” she says, trying to stop you from beating around the bush and just cut to the chase to them.

 

“Jimin’s birthday is on this Sunday,”

 

And that’s when it clicks in both of your friends’ heads.

 

You’re anxious and restless, as the silence that is elicited from both of your friends are longer than you expected. Both of their gazes are fixated on you, unwavering and still and they haven’t shift from their posture, looking like its a freeze frame. You can’t handle the uneasy silence you’ve been receiving, so you take a decision to break the still.

 

“I mean, it’s not crazier than the coke thing right?” you let out a nervous chuckle, just to receive blinks from them. Another silence, and you truly understand, because this idea might be as crazy as that coke thing. Sneaking out of the school? All of you’ve been there like tons of times. But you never went out more than a day, and you never dared to be out of the hostel at night. There’s too much risks to put in consideration, your safety, the school rules, wardens, and whatnot.

 

Maybe, you go a little overboard this time and you should just call off the plan before Rina voices something after having a long silent thoughts.

 

“Nope. No, it isn’t,”

 

 

You are very, very grateful to have such understanding and supportive friends in your life that know you well. Rina and Heeyoung talked with you about it on that very night, listening to your full scale plan from the day you’d depart and the day you’ll come here back, discussing about bad that might happen in future and how to avoid those to happen, and setting up a few rules throughout your little ‘vacation’ which are: -

 

1. Call/text either Heeyoung/Rina when you’re leaving/arriving a certain place. They’re your second mothers, they need to know you’re safe.

 

2. Reply to any of their texts in less than five minutes. Again, for safety measures.

 

3. No drinking. You really can’t endure the consequences though.

 

“What if we get caught?” you asked during in the middle of the discussion, eyes shining with uncertainty. Nonetheless, they just beamed as replies.

 

“We’re professional. We won’t get caught,” Rina voiced out smoothly, without any hint of hesitance or worry in her chord, flashing her smug smirk before diving back into the discussion. It’s baffling the fact that they could keep their troubled thoughts in bay and acted like this isn’t a big deal. If they get busted, this would be end of their unofficial careers, and also future too.

 

Therefore, here you are, sitting in the back of a taxi on the way to Seoul, or specifically, to Bangtan’s house to surprise the hell out of Jimin and make him smile, make him happy.

 

Happy. You want to make him happy.

 

That’s all what you want to do. To make him smile, to make him laugh, to be someone that can make his day, to be his spirit booster and his moodmaker, to be the one that shoo his exhaustion away, to be there for him in any occasion and event possible.

 

To be enough. To be useful.

 

To show that you’re a good girlfriend.

 

The thoughts on your head is b with how shocked Jimin will be, what kind of face will he make, how long the nagging you will receive from Namjoon, how tight and warm those hugs from the boys, how cozy it is to be in Jimin’s presence again, how your hand fits in his, how his bed would be narrower like it used to be months ago and how much your lips miss his.

 

Gosh, you miss him just so so bad, you really can’t help the overexcited feeling, heart’s beating a little faster, foot tapping the floor lightly, being all anticipated and restless. It is 8.24 in the evening and the sky has already replaced the violet dusk color with darker azure. You throw your gaze to the sky, trying to seek for any twinkling spots but just to find a starless sky. Where do all the stars go? You wonder. You’re a little bumped to not get to find any single star tonight. But, it’s okay.

 

Because you’re going to meet a pair very soon.

 

The clock shows 9.15 p.m. when the car finally brings itself to a halt and announces your arrival. After paying the fare and thanking the driver, you step outside of the car, shut the door behind and shoot your gaze upward. It’s that familiar house that exudes welcoming vibe, a palace that belongs to a family from different bloods but devote their undivided love to each other. You can’t help the giddiness that is starting to build up in yourself, can’t wait to meet all of their surprised faces.

 

You press the button and you can hear the usual electronic sound that echoes in their house, and you stand still in front of the gate, trying to guess who’s going to greet their guest. A minute, two minutes and three have passed but there’s not even a sound of twisted knob or creaking doors. They usually have already done with their dinner and spending time individually in their respective bedrooms or other places by now. Well, maybe everyone’s busy?

 

You press it again, again and again with few minutes occasional. The lights on the hall and on the balcony are up. Or they purposely left the lights on while they’re not in the house? But, Jimin said that he’ll be with the boys to celebrate his birthday together, which is on this midnight. Shouldn’t they be in the house?

 

Oh, wait.

 

Jimin just mentioned about celebrating with the boys, doesn’t mean they’d do it here.

 

Your head falls instantly to the realisation, sighing for not catching on that possibility earlier. And now what? You can’t contact Jimin, you still want to spare this as a surprise. Calling Namjoon is like digging your own grave, even though you’ll probably get buried in the dirt as soon as you find Jimin with the boys, at least you won’t be dead now. And contacting other people in the squad isn’t a great idea either. Your eyebrows are furrowed, trying to seek for any other solutions possible other than those boys.

 

And then a name crosses your mind.

 

This is a crazy idea, you thought. But hey, desperate times call for desperate measures aight? Typing something into the searching section in your contacts, you tap on the number but hesitate to press the ‘call’ button. The tip of your finger is millimetres away from the screen, but your brain is still doubting with your decision now. You choose to ignore the thoughts and press ‘call’ before you can change your mind.

 

After three rings, the owner of the number picks up.

 

“Hey, Jisung. I might need your help,”

...

[A/n]

HEEEEY GUESS WHO'S BACK

I'm so sorry if I took too long break from updating, and thanks for you who are still willing to read and wait for my to gain her sanity back and continue writing even though i am barely getting on track with my life but ANYWAY

ily guys. your words are with me and ill always come back to those comments whenever im in my lowest point :DDD

thank you